_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
The AMT Debate
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2008 - 08:17 AM UTC
Perhaps I'm opening a can of worms here, but I'm curious. After seeing some recent forum comments, I'm wondering what your take is on AMT's model car kits.

The company has been around for a long time, and has gone through many changes, so let's be a little more specific. I understand, and agree, that many of their older offerings do not measure up to to "modern" standards in any way, so we'll leave them out of the discussion. If the kit is "bad" (lacking detail) because the molds were cut 30 or 35 years ago, then the issue is with the age of the kit. Molded-in suspensions, exhaust pipes and engine parts were the norm back then, so there is no reason to criticize the kit based on old technology.

But if you have any opinions, including complaints or praise, about AMT's more modern, newly-tooled kits (let's say from the late 1980's through today), I'm interested in hearing it.

This way, we're not hijacking somebody's build thread. And remember, no kidney punches!

-YL

rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2008 - 09:48 AM UTC
Interestig thread Yoni, my opinion on AMT's new offerings is good I have the 1960 Starliner it's a very good kit as good as the new Revell kits, i have built about half the kit and so far it has been a pleasure to assemble. In the past 5 years i have read several reviews on the newer AMT kits in Scale Auto and Model car magazine one was the 1970 or 71 Camaro Z28 and the 57 Chevy both got high marks but to be fair i myself did not build these kits but i do trust the reviews from these 2 magazines. The duster you are working on for the one week build is one of there newer kits i believe and it looks good from what you have shown us. In the near future i would have no problem buying the kits AMT has prodced in lets say the past 10 years.

I personally think we should support AMT by buying their newer kits someone has to give Revell a little competition and that is good for us consumers.
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Auto Modeler: 310 posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2008 - 02:10 PM UTC

Well, contrary to what I think I've eluded to, I really do love AMT. However, I have to limit my issues to the re-molds from old MPC models. I have encountered some newer AMT molds in their NASCAR series. The molds are crisp, the bodies hold their shape better and there are less fit problems.

I build a lot of the older stuff, stuff from the old MPC molds, because I like the nostalgia and I like the fact that I have to cut and add a LOT of white, Evergreen plastic to get a nice looking model. That's half the fun of the old stuff.

So, I have no beef with AMT, I just had to curb my enthusiasm for the 7-day build. I had to ignore all the fixes and tightening up that I usually go nuts on, strictly because of time restraints.

So, I say again, OLD kits are soft on detail. Not a problem.

NEW kits are, indeed, better than the nostalgia, but, I have less experience with them as of late, so, other than the NASCAR stuff, I'm just ignorant.

Hope this explains my stance
Cuhail
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2008 - 02:53 PM UTC
The pick up trucks fit ok. I'm working on the 1950 3100 PU and is working out so-far. But while building the, 32 Ford Phaeton, wow, I had to put it down. The interior and fender part did not fit at all. Then the optional tops (stock or custom) doesn't seem to go with this kit in the first place.
maybe I'm judging this on one kit...

Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Auto Modeler: 59 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 02:12 AM UTC
I have a soft spot for AMT kits (they gave me the original Star Trek kits I built as a kid). I've noticed some of their current reissues contain kits from the old MPC company. Those kits were notoriously soft on detail and used a soft plastic that was prone to yellowing and cracking with age.

I always associated Monogram with ease of build, Revell with depth of detail, AMT as good multi-option kits and MPC as inexpensive.
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Auto Modeler: 95 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 04:06 AM UTC
It is really a moot point about AMT, as AMT aren't producing kits anymore.

Most if not all of their molds have been leased (for the next 10 years) by Round 2.

AMT, MPC, Polar Lights and Ertl.

The gentleman that started Polar Lights and another gentleman own Auto World/Round 2, and are the ones that are putting out the AMT kits.

AMT has nothing to do with it anymore.

I am not sure where Model King stands in all of this, as he was re-releasing select kits from the old AMT and Revell line.

From what I have seen, they have taken the old molds and have cleaned them up a bit, and are popping out some gems from yesteryear, as well as developing some new kits. For you Sci Fi fans, they will be coming out with the 1/1000 USS Thunderchild (Akira Class) in late 2009, to go along with the NX-01, NCC 1701, and Klingon D7 in the same scale.

Not sure if they plan on any new car kits, as most of what I have seen so far has been re-releases of old AMT and MPC kits, in original artwork boxes none the less.

Most people just figure that they are AMT and MPC as that is the predominant logo on the box when it does come out, because they are using original artwork, but in fact it is a Round 2 release.
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 11:19 AM UTC

Actually, I don't believe AMT's current production situation (or lack thereof) has much bearing on my original question. The point of my query was to gauge modelers' personal opinions of, and experiences with, AMT kits, especially in light of some recent comments on the forums. It was simply a matter of asking what they liked, or didn't like, about AMT offerings, past and present.

The fact that Round 2 is now pumping out AMT kits using AMT molds in a box with AMT's name on it doesn't render the original posting moot. You mentioned it yourself; they are cleaning up the molds and reissuing the kits. If they are not making any substantial changes to them, then they are, esentially, the old AMT kits, in much the same way that a reboxed MPC kit is still an MPC kit. Consequently, opinions about those kits, good or bad, are still valid.

If Round 2 makes any revisions of consequence to the old AMT molds, I'll be happy to start another thread titled "The Round 2 Debate". But until then...

-YL
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 12:19 PM UTC
Cuhail - point taken. I can understand the frustration with time constraints, and wanting to fix all the problems on the old MPC 'Bird, really I can. The NASCAR kits are good, but if you really enjoy musclecars, there are a whole bunch to choose from. I think if you got yourself one of AMT's more recent releases - you know, something that wasn't first pressed out 30 years ago - you would be pleasantly surprised.

KoSprueOne - I'm not sure which version of the '32 Phaeton you have, but the original kit is ancient, so I'm not surprised you're having fit issues. The '50 Chevy is a favorite of mine. It builds up nicely and is a very good looking piece when finished.

Personally, I like most of AMT's "new" stuff. When I was heavily involved in car modeling back in the late 80's to mid 90's, AMT was a strong contender for my hobby dollar. Their '66 Chevy Nova II was a watershed kit; I remember opening the box and being amazed at the level of detail and engineering present (even though the rearview mirror was engraved on the windshield in the initial releases of the kit!). Their 1969 Plymouth GTX convertible, 1962 Chevy Impala and '55 Chevy Cameo kits were notable not just for the quality in the box, but also because of the subject matter. AMT was definitely trying to appeal to the more "adult" modeler, and it showed. Those were some pretty heady days. Of course, they were still releasing the old MPC kits and their own older molds as well, so it wasn't all flowers and chocolate. But newly tooled AMT kits were pretty darn incredible for the time.

As the years rolled on, some of those AMT jewels faded a little, especially compared to kits with more modern tooling and engineering. But they still build up well, and I've got a bunch of them in my stash.

-YL
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 10:32 PM UTC
I have build some, not many, but some AMT kit's. All of them gave me trouble. Bad fiting and warped parts. I don't mind flash, molded-in suspensions and exhaust pipes or the lack of details, but I do mind a warped body. All of the AMT's I have build are older kits though.
On the positive side. AMT have always offered some interesting subjects. Lots of good old Detroit iron.

I can see there is a big difference between the ones I build and the 60' Starliner. I wouldn't mind give that one a go.
Can you guy's recommend other newer AMT offerings?

KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 07:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

KoSprueOne - I'm not sure which version of the '32 Phaeton you have, but the original kit is ancient, so I'm not surprised you're having fit issues. The '50 Chevy is a favorite of mine. It builds up nicely and is a very good looking piece when finished.

-YL

This '32 Phaeton

And yes, the PU kit is building up fine.

Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 12:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I can see there is a big difference between the ones I build and the 60' Starliner. I wouldn't mind give that one a go.
Can you guy's recommend other newer AMT offerings?

Jesper: The Starliner looks like a mighty fine kit, so you could certainly start there (although it's not "new").

AMT's original '66 Chevy Nova II kit, first issued in '88 or '89, is still in production, and it's still a nice build. The details are a bit lacking when compared to most newer kits, but if you haven't seen this one before, it might be time. I believe it is currently issued as either the "Rides Magazine Custom Collection" or the newer "Resto Rods" release. Although there are custom parts in both the new boxes, they also come with the stock pieces. It's a nice little musclecar kit.

Others that are currently available:

* 1971 Plymouth Duster, listed as a "Buyer's Choice" release. Of course, I'm biased since I used this for the 1-week build, but I'd easily build another one.

* 1967 Chevy Impala. There are two street machine/custom versions out there. Be sure to check the box to see if they come with the stock parts, because this a great kit to build factory stock.

There are other kits that are on my favorites list, although they are not all currently available. If you don't mind looking around on eBay or on modelroundup.com, you might be able to find some at reasonable prices. Or, if you're lucky, the LHS might have a few still on the shelves.

* 1968 Chevy El Camino, in both the stock SS396 and custom versions. The stock version has some very nice Chevy Rally wheels.

* 1962 Pontiac Catalina, again in both stock and custom versions. The custom version has a pretty neat diamond-tuck interior.

* 1970 1/2 Camaro Z/28. Be sure you get kit # 30086, or you'll end up with the original AMT kit, before it was retooled (not good). This also came in a Baldwin-Motion version, kit #30085. EDIT: I forgot about the Model King release of this kit, which has a great decal set. I believe they still have some available - www.modelroundup.com

* 1962 Chevy Bel Air, in any version. I've found the stock kit, #8716, on eBay for as little as $9.00.

HTH.

KoSprue: Yes, that's a reissue of the original AMT phaeton. I feel your pain.

-YL
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Auto Modeler: 95 posts
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2008 - 03:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Actually, I don't believe AMT's current production situation (or lack thereof) has much bearing on my original question. The point of my query was to gauge modelers' personal opinions of, and experiences with, AMT kits, especially in light of some recent comments on the forums. It was simply a matter of asking what they liked, or didn't like, about AMT offerings, past and present.

The fact that Round 2 is now pumping out AMT kits using AMT molds in a box with AMT's name on it doesn't render the original posting moot. You mentioned it yourself; they are cleaning up the molds and reissuing the kits. If they are not making any substantial changes to them, then they are, esentially, the old AMT kits, in much the same way that a reboxed MPC kit is still an MPC kit. Consequently, opinions about those kits, good or bad, are still valid.

If Round 2 makes any revisions of consequence to the old AMT molds, I'll be happy to start another thread titled "The Round 2 Debate". But until then...

Point taken, but my point being that since it is Round 2 that is actually "producing" the kits from the AMT and MPC molds, that there is probably a little better quality control, so that we don't end up getting kits with warped bodies and chassis, therefore actually being a better kit.

From what I have been told by someone in Round 2, is that they are producing some kits that haven't been re-released in awhile, ones that don't need much work to the molds, in hopes of making some quick cash to repair some of the other molds in AMT/MPC's lines to be able to re-release those, and possibly make new molds in the future. The fact that the Round 2 releases aren't a straight AMT kit, as they are including alot of other parts in the kits that you would have had to purchase 2-3 AMT kits to get the same parts, all the while not charging more for the kits, has got to give some added value for our ever declining cash, which is good to see, considering in this day, it seems all the other manufacturers are raising their prices, Revell's prices are going up 10% Jan1!
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2008 - 01:02 PM UTC
Understood, and you bring up the point of quality control, which is valid.

My personal experience with AMT kits must be almost unique. In almost 35 years of slapping plastic together, and in over 25 years of "adult" modeling, I have had one singular instance of a bad AMT kit. That's one out of roughly 600 AMT products, spread out over the better part of three decades. (Yes, I've kept a tally - I'll tell you the story if you're really interested.) The only AMT goof was a short shot on their '72 Nova, which left the lower part of the front wheelwells missing. I've never had a warped body, warped frame, missing pieces or any other problems with an AMT kit. For the record, I have experienced all those joys over the years with Revell and Monogram, though. (And to be fair, customer service always rectified the problems to my satisfaction.)

This is not to say I think AMT is (or was) above reproach. I remember back in the early 90's when there were a slew of complaints in the modeling press about quality control from all the domestic manufacturers. I have modeling buddies who still sneer at the AMT label to this day, an attitude no doubt flavored by a number of bad kits they purchased. But quality control and quality of kits are separate issues, although one does affect the other. It's true that the '71 Duster I'm (still) working on would have been much less of an enjoyable build if there were quality control problems with the kit. But there were no problems, and aside from the Nova, I've never had a gripe about AMT plastic.

I'm interested to see what else Round 2 does with AMT's molds. They've already released the 1951 Chevy Bel Air convertible (with the raised top and speed parts, no less!), which has been on my wish list for many years. They've also released the '70 Super Bee, which I'm very happy to see, even though it has reduced the "collector's value" of my mint, unopened 1990 issue of the AMT kit. Add in the Starliner, and the reissued '49 Ford, and they look like they're off to a good start, at least in my opinion.

-YL

PS - FYI, I will undoubtedly continue to refer to AMT kits as such, in much the same way that I say, "Oh, that kit? That's the old MPC mold."

Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2008 - 04:19 PM UTC
I still enjoy AMT. I like the subjects and the challenge they present to a modeler to use their scratchbuilding talents to make a good model. And, as a matter of fact, I miss MPC. My favorite model in the whole wide world is an MPC model. The 70 GTO. I want another one, but, they are hard to find. I really hope Round 2 takes it upon themselves to fix those molds and re-release a lot of the older models I loved as a kid.
My stash is about 90-10 AMT to Revell/Monogram. Mostly because I can easily switch/Kitbash AMT parts between models much easier than I can with the others.

I guess my only beef is why can Tamiya, Dragon and Italeri make a 1/35 tank with crisp, flawless molding and AMT can't do the same with a 1/25 model? Revell doesn't do all that well, either, in all reality. But, for that matter, an AMT model usually runs about $10.00 whereas a 1/35 model runs more $35.00-$40.00.

I dunno. I build em, then (complain) about it. (It's what I do )

Cuhail
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2008 - 04:45 PM UTC
Yoni i have that MPC or AMT or what ever it's called 1970 Super Bee and it looks like a decent kit the details look good to me and i like the subject there is a little flash on some of the parts but no big deal, but both the front fenders on mine are warped and seem to bow outward from the bottom i beleive they will straighten out once the front bumper is glued on. I would also like to see more of these kits reproduced as long as they keep the prices equal or less than the current kits i won't pay big money for old kit technology.
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 12:12 PM UTC

Cuhail: Ahhh yes, the MPC '70 GTO. I would like to see that one reissued, too. Perhaps if we cross our fingers and wish really hard?

Robert: I hear you about the old kit tech and high prices, but I'm afraid they have me by the short hairs on this one. I absolutely love the '70 Bee kit, and I'll probably buy a bunch of them regardless. I'm kind of stupid that way. Plus, it is the only game in town if you want to build a '70 Coronet, Super Bee, R/T, etc...and I do.

-YL
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 12:39 PM UTC
I am glad Yoni that the price on the super Bee was inline with the other kits so i had no problem buying it, also this kit has something like a 140 parts so you are getting a lot for youe money, besides my LHS had a 20% of sale on all plastic model car kits so it turns into a very good buy. I too would like to see the GTO and maybee the old MPC firebird i won't hold my breath.
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 01:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Cuhail: Ahhh yes, the MPC '70 GTO. I would like to see that one reissued, too. Perhaps if we cross our fingers and wish really hard?
-YL

I did find it on eBay a couple of years ago. I think it is my best car model build ever!

Sorry, I can never resist showing this one off. I seriously loved building this GTO. It was a freaking blast!

-Rob, the Firebird you speak of, not the "golden wheels" one, right? I actually have the MPC one. It'd take a miracle to clean up all the flash on the gold chrome itself. That would be a good candidate for re-tooling, THAT'S for sure!

Tee hee!
Cuhail
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 01:57 AM UTC
I think i know the one your talking about Murph i am talking about the 1970-71 Formula bird with the twin scoop hood, as i said i won't hold my breath.
 _GOTOTOP