_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Car Campaign anyone??
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Auto Modeler: 522 posts
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2008 - 02:41 PM UTC
Hi guys
Somehow I've managed to miss this sight completely until now. I've spent the last couple of days surfing here and checking out all the great builds. One question. Is anyone interrested in starting a car building campaign? I don't have the experience to run a campaign but if there is anyone who would be willing to run it and enough interest I'd certainly be up for building a car. My main interest is old MOPARs since I own a 72 Cuda' but I'd be up for anything old or modern. My son is also a car nut when he's not building wingy things with his old man.
Anyways, ya'll give it some thought.

Thanks,
Hermon
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Auto Modeler: 310 posts
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2008 - 03:11 PM UTC

AutoModeler is the same as the other KitMaker sites is as much as if you think it up and announce it, they will come.

What do ya have in mind? You smelt it, you dealt it.

YOU start it and I'll back you up.

Cuhail
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2008 - 03:22 PM UTC
If I smelt it and delt it.........then as usual I'll blame it on the dog, or one of the kids.

I'm an American muscle gear head but I've read and seen alot here from the import crowd as well. How's this for including everybody? How bout an "AMERICAN VS. IMPORT CAMPAIGN"? What could be better than a bunch of dudes building cars and ragging each others rides? Sort of real life without the beer and fat lips.
Could even include trucks to haul the cars on trailers to shows/races. Heck, that should just about cover everyone.

As for running a campaign.........I'm pretty sure that somewhere in the book of Revelations it says something about the end of the world the day that I am put in charge of anything. but with enough help and advice I'd be up for it.

Hermon
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2008 - 03:46 PM UTC

Well, there's no Car campaigns going on, other that RV1963's rat rod informal coming up. Let's see who else pops in and displays some interest.

Cuhail
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
Auto Modeler: 16 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 12:59 AM UTC
well I would join in with a car that can actually go round corners! A '67 austin cooper s.
Top speed just under a ton but we'll be waiting for you yanks at the top of an alpine pass
with a drop of gluwein. Merry christmas.

Over powered, over weight and over steer.
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 01:48 AM UTC
Sounds great Hermon, i have a few suggestions, 1. you need to figure out what kind of cars you want to build lets say American muscle cars from 1960 to 1974, other rules such as will all builds be from new or will you allow unstarted kits, will you allow any modifications such as PE or resin parts or factory stock out of the box only, and of course you will need a start date. These are just a few suggestions, i am starting an informal build around the middleof next month it will be for Rat Rods see my post for more details. Sorry i did't read your post very careful it sounds like you have already picked the cars you want if you get enough and it doesn't start the same time as my build i am in.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 03:27 AM UTC
JP, this campaign won't be at an Alpine pass. It'll take place on a 1/4 mile drag strip cause it was my idea. Just kidding

Robert, I'm open to suggestions. My main goal is for everyone here to have a reason to build something. A stir the pot kinda thing. Here is a list of rules I was kicking around. You guys see what you think of them.

1. Any scale
2. Years from 1960 to 1974 sounds good
3. As much or as little PE & resin as you wish
4. Keep em' as close to factory original as possible. Aftermarket wheels/tires OK.
5. Build date..........March to August maybe?

Also kicking around a couple other campaign ideas.

#1 "International car show"
Pretty much any car/truck/motorcycle you can think of. Modified or bone stock. Don't think anyone would have a complaint there.

#2 "Run what ya brung"
A no restrictions race car campaign. If you want a VW with a hemi sticking out of the front deck fine. Or how about a jet engine stuffed into a 63 caddie? A campaign like this would be SICK and would draw in plenty of twisted freaks from the other kit maker sites.

Anyways, just some ideas. I'd really just like to generate some interest. This sight is way cool and I'm glad I found it.

Hermon
LinkinPark
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 63 posts
Auto Modeler: 50 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 06:51 AM UTC
Sounds good guys, you can definetely count me in.
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 07:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

#2 "Run what ya brung"
A no restrictions race car campaign. If you want a VW with a hemi sticking out of the front deck fine. Or how about a jet engine stuffed into a 63 caddie? A campaign like this would be SICK and would draw in plenty of twisted freaks from the other kit maker sites.

I'd jump on that idea, for sure. Twisted freak just sounds do-able.

Cuhail
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 09:08 AM UTC
Carefull what ya wish for...........MMWWaaaaahhaaaaaaaaa!

A little sumptin' I've had on the back burner for a while now. A ruined AMT Barracuda kit with some left over decals from here and there, A donated engine, some stolen meats in the back, slick coat of white pearl paint and bout a gallon and a half of pure sick, twisted, evil freakishness poured all over it.

I call her "THE FREAK"
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 10:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, there's no Car campaigns going on, other that RV1963's rat rod informal coming up.

The Emergency Vehicle group build is currently in progress, which I guess is - technically - listed a truck build, even though there might be some police cars in the mix. But between that and Robert's rat rod thing, I'm busy until February.

-YL

Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 11:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Well, there's no Car campaigns going on, other that RV1963's rat rod informal coming up.

The Emergency Vehicle group build is currently in progress, which I guess is - technically - listed a truck build, even though there might be some police cars in the mix. But between that and Robert's rat rod thing, I'm busy until February.

-YL

I stand corrected. You are right, there is one or two goin' on.

Cuhail
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Auto Modeler: 256 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 11:34 AM UTC
Sound like a fun, so yeah count me in. I play along with any date in mind. Being an old dragracer I like the "Run what ya brung" idea but still can build what I'd link no mater.

Hermon...you say you have a 72' Cuda. What's stuffed in her. I had a 70' Cuda that was destroyed in a drag racing accident. She was powered with a 360'

Happy Holidays,
Joe
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 01:02 PM UTC
Joe, at the moment the only thing stuffed in her are cobwebs some surface rust. I'm building a 400 bored and stroked to 500ci. I got hold of a 18 spline A-883 4spd out of a hemi challenger a few years ago along with a dana rear packing 3:90 gears. Time and money have slowed the project down the last couple of years. Hope to have her running by 2010 though. Not intended to be a drag car at all. Basically I wanna take the wife and kids out in her on the weekends and occasionally weld the odd mustang or camero here and there.
Man, sorry to hear about your wreck. Not only for your sake, but there ain't many old Mopars left uncrunched. I'll see if I can scrounge up a pic somewhere of my Cuda' from a few years ago before I chucked the engine.

As far as the campaign idea, if you guys wanna do the drag theme thats cool with me. I've got like 8 aircraft campaigns going for the upcoming year and I'm gonna need something with chrome and shiny paint to even things out somewhere along the line.
Sounds like 5 people so far if I'm counting right. If this thing is gonna happen we'll have to throw out some invites or smack a few people around so we can get the ball a rollin'.

Hermon
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Auto Modeler: 192 posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2008 - 12:25 PM UTC
Well I pay a few visits to this side of the community and I may even finish a car, who knows, theres plenty in the stash

For the first idea I could build a Merc or Lotus, the second idea a Firebird and the third idea well theres loads of race cars to choose from.

Count me in, I need a break from wingy things.

Luciano
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2008 - 03:19 PM UTC
Good deal Luciano!
Looks like we have 7 people interested now. 3 more and we may have a campaign. Also looks like we're heading towards more of a drag racing theme.
Does anyone know if the 10 participant rule applies to campaigns on this site as it does on armorama and aeroscale?

Hermon
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2008 - 04:49 PM UTC
The more irons I have in the fire, the better...
-What's the build time frame?{give me more than a week please}
-"factory origonal"...would that by chance include "Factory AWB Mopars"? ...no radios nor heaters need apply....
-360cu...I used to race my '80 ex-squad aspen against my buddy's '70 340 powered charger...dead even till my '86 GLH turbo came along...then I got next to a '69 400 six pack judge and by 3rd gear found the old saying was very true...."there's no replacement for displacement"{but he was worried for a moment or two!}.
 _GOTOTOP