_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
New Build
LinkinPark
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 63 posts
Auto Modeler: 50 posts
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2008 - 09:18 AM UTC
Hey everybody.

Ive just started a 1/24 scale fujimi Mini cooper. So far everything has been going together great. Hope to get some pictures posted soon

Hunter
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Auto Modeler: 522 posts
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2008 - 10:19 AM UTC
Guess this means I'll be doing the airbrushing again.

Hermon
LinkinPark
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2008 - 03:55 PM UTC
Real funny dad, but im gonna try to do it myself this time.
Gotta get better at the airbrush.

Hunter
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2008 - 11:57 PM UTC
Looking forward to seeing some progress pics, no matter who's doing the airbrushing
LinkinPark
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 01:29 PM UTC
I hope to get some posted later this week.

Hunter
LinkinPark
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 10:27 AM UTC
I've gotten my interior done at last and now I'm on to painting the body of my mini cooper. It is molded in red plastic but i wanted to paint it something different so I have painted a coat of white on it. My plan is to do what Mother (Joe) did on his custom chopper. He painted it silver and then painted a top coat of Tamiya clear green. I plan on doing this but substituting Tamiya clear blue in place of the green. I really hope this works out cause I think it will be really cool. Should have some pictures by tomorrow if everything goes to plan.

Hunter
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 05:29 PM UTC
Ahhhh, father/son modelling issues....at least yours is an easy one, my son wants to destroy what I build{but he's only 3 1/2 and it's not intentional - I hope!}.
Good luck with the AB...practice makes perfect and the only way to get good is to use it. Remember when doing a candy coat{a transparent color over a base coat} to keep the coverage even in thickness...too thick here or too thin there will show up....nice even coats and you'll do fine.

BTW, is that the old cooper or the newer version your doing?
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
Auto Modeler: 16 posts
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2008 - 02:13 AM UTC
there really only is one mini. i hope it is austin and not bmw!
LinkinPark
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2008 - 07:57 AM UTC
Thanks for the tips Bob. Ive already applied a base coat and its gone on just perfect.
The mini cooper is a newer model. Jp the mini cooper im doing is made by austin if im not mistaking.

Keep your coments coming guys, ill have a sneak peak of the mini cooper sooner or later.

Hunter
LinkinPark
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2008 - 01:57 PM UTC
Here are a couple of pictures of my mini. The first one is from last night when the white primer was on. The second is after the silver base coat and the Tamiya clear blue.

I'm going to let it dry and work on the roof and interior for a while now.
And JP I'm afraid it actually is a BMW. My bad.

Hunter
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2008 - 02:58 PM UTC
Yup, BMW got the build for this new crop....that's why they run good right off the bat.
Very nice so far. Can't wait to see the green over that.
LinkinPark
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 06:32 AM UTC
Thanks Bob. I dont know if i will apply a green coat to this mini. I like the way it looks right now. To get this color, I applied a coat of silver, then painted a clear blue over top.
I hope to be finished soon and get some photos of the finished product posted. Keep your comments coming guys.

Hunter
Snowhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Auto Modeler: 234 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 07:19 AM UTC
I'd keep this color if I were you. It looks like an official (new) Mini color to boot. Add some stickies and striping, and it could enter the Dutch Supercar Challenge

LinkinPark
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 11:12 AM UTC
Pretty neat idea Richard. I plan on doing the standard mini cooper s version but it gives me some more options as I get more experienced.

Hunter
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 02:57 PM UTC
Hunter your Mini looks very good so far and the paint looks like you have been building model cars for years, soon Dad will be asking you for pointers. I will be watching your entire build.
LinkinPark
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 03:11 AM UTC
Thanks Robert
I think it will be a while before he needs my advice

Hunter
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 10:23 AM UTC

I think the color looks great. Judging from the pic, the coverage is even and the finish is smooth, so I'd say it's good work.

BTW, is that someone's AAR in the background?

-YL
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Auto Modeler: 522 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 12:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW, is that someone's AAR in the background?

Hehehe...........like a circling shark waiting and watching the little baby seal floating on the chunk of ice. Perhaps a salt shaker in the forground would have been appropriate.

The paint on Hunters mini is really an accident but actually turned out pretty cool. He either didn't thin the white basecoat enough or just sprayed it on too thick. The result was a gloopy almost orange peel kind of effect. Rather than clean it off and try again, we decided to leave it. After it dried he applied the silver and then the clear blue. So.......it actually looks like textured paint under a foot of clear coat now and up close it is really pretty sweet.
What he failed to mention is that while he was ABing the mini I wasn't in the room. Somehow a $7.00 bottle of Floquil bright silver paint ended up on the model room floor (tile). I also found the tale tale signs of white overspray on my AAR wheels and tires that were not removed from the desk before the painting started.

............................oh the joys of fatherhood.

Hermon
LinkinPark
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 01:20 PM UTC
Thanks Yoni. Im not really sure why he didnt take the cuda out of the picture.
Oh and thanks for the lovely story dad, why did you have to tell everybody.

Hunter
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 12:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

............................oh the joys of fatherhood.

Hermon

LOL...can relate. My son{3yr } was down here watching me work...his sister{6yr} was supposed to be watching him and keeping him out of trouble{usually the other way around!} ...he grabs a nearly finished sherman tank off the end of the table...as my heart attack subsides as he's setting it back down, he misjudges the end of the table and it teaters off the end and onto the floor....I didn't like how that one had turned out anyway{before, let alone "now"}.
On a happier note, you could wet sand the body to smooth it out and recoat the blue...by removing the blue down to the white, for the most part, you would get a nice finish still...or let it ride as is. If I had a buck for every time I've knocked over a bottle of paint when detailing{using the magnifying light..things around the table get so distorted} or knocked over a bottle of liquid cement, I could probably pay for the new trumpeter diesel train that's coming out. When it's time to spray paint, it's best to move things way out of the way...I spray on the low side of pressure, but sometimes if I kick it up to 20psi or over the over spray can drift...for your stuff or your dad's...it's just best to clear the table when the AB comes out. Not raggin' on yah, it'll just keep anything else there free from overspray.
As for your painting...don't get discouraged since it takes time and talent getting used to using the AB and correctly thinning the paint for use. I personnally think the modelmaster "sand" is the thickest/worst to paint with an AB to this day...I don't know why that stuff is sooooo thick!
Hunter, my 1st paint job was a kenworth K123...I brush painted it with gloss dark brown for the main body color and then used a flat tan for the accent color and thought it was good...so technically, your doing far better than me right now. {of course, that paint job of mine was 30some years ago}
LinkinPark
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 09:51 AM UTC
Thanks for the tips Bob
I hope this incident doesnt occur again

Hunter
 _GOTOTOP