_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
My '32 ratrod build
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 11:02 AM UTC
Here's where she stands so far...still need the motor finished, drivetrain, and wiring and hoses. And paint for the body once I finish the rear roll panel.

I was playing War's "lowrider" while setting the body height..it seemed to help.

...I have a theme, for this and the next one - "Built by FORD, made faster by DODGE"!
Blaze24
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 123 posts
Auto Modeler: 50 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 11:20 AM UTC
Looks very good so far. I might have to try a rat rod one of these days.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Auto Modeler: 522 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 11:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...I have a theme, for this and the next one - "Built by FORD, made faster by DODGE"!

Bob, you're my man!
BTW is that an electric fan I see on the radiator? Cooool.

Hermon
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 12:59 PM UTC
Great work Bob you really got that 32 down in the weeds.
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 03:29 PM UTC

Things are looking mighty cool, Bob. I like the channel a lot, especially on the 3-window. The wheel and tire combo is right on. And I see zoomies, too!

Nice work.

-YL
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 04:01 AM UTC
The rear axle is extended out to let the rear meats clear the body and she's running twin calipers out back since the fronts have none. The body is a real time 1/4" channel where the frame is just inside the bottom of the body...I wanted to chop the top, but I don't think I would be able to fit the seats{high backs} in!
The front axle has two leafs removed and uses the kit location, again I wanted to locate the spring up front of that location and drop it more, but then there would be a close call for the oil pan scraping...one can only get so low without clearly bottoming out.
I started the redoing of the motor today...I love the 392 hemi kit with it's hillborn injection, but the motor kit is set up for rail use with no water pump...I want this engine to be streetable so I'm researching my old hemi book and found the right combo for a water pump and thermostat set up. I'm also tossing the kit magneto and scratching a Vertex front loader{all wires stack, two high by 4 hole of those spots} for close firewall clearance issue engines{mine!}. The exhaust will be the last hurdle since I'll proabaly have to scratch that too...hopefully I'll have time to finish this car and do the other I planned on doing.....we'll see.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 04:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Bob, you're my man!
BTW is that an electric fan I see on the radiator? Cooool.

Hermon

Thank you sir...I'm the mopar nut of the whole family, just like my father in law was{he passed 2 1/2 hears ago}....my brother in law inherited his fathers '67 newport ragtop, but dean is a died in the wool ford lover..I like to call it poetic justice! The slogan I made above is a really going to happen someday thing....for fun and, to annoy dean.
Oh, eys, that's an electric fan you spy, my attempt at PE and it turned out rather nice...didn't hurt it was 75% off @ the LHS either.
LinkinPark
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 63 posts
Auto Modeler: 50 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 04:24 PM UTC
Great job on your 32' Bob
Really like the white wall tires.

Hunter
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 06:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The exhaust will be the last hurdle since I'll proabaly have to scratch that too...hopefully I'll have time to finish this car and do the other I planned on doing.....we'll see.

What? No zoomies?!

You can run uncorked headers on the workbench, you know.

-YL

Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 10:58 PM UTC
Low and cool. Looks great so far Bob.
sroth88
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 109 posts
Auto Modeler: 39 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 - 09:30 AM UTC
Very cool what are the wheels and tires from.
Sheldon
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 - 04:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very cool what are the wheels and tires from.
Sheldon

Thanks, they're from the polar lights Hawaiian funny car.

Slow progress today...but I did get the intake horns, water pump and cross tube done for the motor...now for the exhaust!
sarge450
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 60 posts
Auto Modeler: 27 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 - 04:29 PM UTC
Very cool, I love the whitewalls.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 09:32 AM UTC
Here's the latest update;
-motor is closer to being done, and just drilled the exhaust holes for the solder pieces, the fan belt assy is drying, interior is 95% done, and the body was dented and dinged then primered/rust colored with certain areas liquid masked afterward/ and now salt covered and awaiting a coat of grayish white{ a primer color} and then a faded body color{haven't picked that yet}.

rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 10:28 AM UTC
The engine looks great Bob you have to love those early Hemis, i see you used the salt method for chipping and peeling paint i tried that once and i had trouble getting the salt to stick it looks like it's working a lot better for you than it did for me.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 03:26 PM UTC
Nice job Bob. Those seats look like a real grease monkey has been sitting in them. Where did you scrape up that hemi? I don't think I've ever seen those fire power valve covers anywhere. Are they resin aftermarket or what?

Hermon
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 02:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The engine looks great Bob you have to love those early Hemis, i see you used the salt method for chipping and peeling paint i tried that once and i had trouble getting the salt to stick it looks like it's working a lot better for you than it did for me.

Saw an article in Car Model mag{I think} that showed how to do this to a nova...in the last section of the article was shown a '32 ford, so I thought "this is the way for me".
The salt is just table salt, and I took a large brush and dabbed alittle water on in one section at a time...shake the salt right afterward and viola.
That top insert is just aluminum foil that was burnished over sandpaper for the grainy effect. Put some micro scale metal foil adhessive on it and when dry stuck it on...I'll cut and lift sections here and there to give it a dry rotted look.
I'm having a hard time doing this, because my usual thinking of "do it perfect' is tossed out the window for this build. It's actually fun! How bad can I make this thing look!........
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 02:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice job Bob. Those seats look like a real grease monkey has been sitting in them. Where did you scrape up that hemi? I don't think I've ever seen those fire power valve covers anywhere. Are they resin aftermarket or what?

Hermon

The desert sand color was a unusually thick model master acrylic I had, by the time I thinned it out enough to use, it had an odd color to it....I figured I'd save it for someday and looks like that day was yesterday. I added plastic dust off of the table to give it a really grainy look and will dark wash it later to highlight the bad spots.
That motor is a gibson engines 392 hemi, fuel injected kit. I had to scratch the upper water crossover tube and the water pump, since that motor is made as a drag motor and doesn't have those things. I still have my hemi book from eons ago and have nice picks of the old boat anchor hemis{pre 426cu}. I also wanted an alternator since this ride has lights...seems an odd thing seeing the magneto and an alternator on the motor, but hey...it could happen!
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 09:45 AM UTC
More progress today, she's stratin to shape up real nasty{I mean nice}.
Here's the body done of all painting, but needs the salt removed...I'm trying the eightball motif here and hope it turns out well.

Here's the water outlets done up...just a hole drilled on/in the bottom one and I made a neck for the top. Solder will be bent and painted for hoses.

Here's where the salt does it's job-

Not too shabby...well, ok it is, but in a good way.
sroth88
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 109 posts
Auto Modeler: 39 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 10:29 AM UTC
Very cool love the body work and the Hemi.
Sheldon
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 12:14 PM UTC
Great work Bob, the eight balls came out very nice did you airbrush them or use a stencil, the rusty dents and that crease on the drivers door look very realistic. Looks like you are almost done i hope you are having fun with this build.
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 10:56 PM UTC
I love the look of this one Bob. Great piece of work.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 - 04:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great work Bob, the eight balls came out very nice did you airbrush them or use a stencil, the rusty dents and that crease on the drivers door look very realistic. Looks like you are almost done i hope you are having fun with this build.

Yes on both parts...I used a circle mask for the main ball body and a smaller one for the lil white circle and AB's those, then hand brushed the number eight on. I wanted a faded, non defined look...think I got it!
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 - 04:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I love the look of this one Bob. Great piece of work.

Thank you sir...how's yours doing? I wanna see that TV set up! My neighbor has an old volvo coupe he's going to fix up{ resto mod with a US engine and drive train}.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 - 12:07 PM UTC
Lookin' great Bob. Now that I've seen what you were up too, I'd have done a bunch of stuff different on my rod. The rust flaking turned out great with the salt technique.

Hermon
 _GOTOTOP