_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
What's a good source for plug wires?
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 - 06:13 AM UTC
I'm to the point of wiring the plugs on my hemi, but don't know what to use for wires....what can I use for plug wires? Thread, fine wire.....? Anyone got any tips to toss out?.......Thanks.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Auto Modeler: 256 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 - 06:25 AM UTC
Bob streched sprue works great, also I like to break open old broken phones, CD players and try for wire resorce. You'd be amazed what you find going through the house.

Joe
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 - 09:16 AM UTC
Both of Joe's ideas are good you can also try phone line most of us have a roll of that lying around you can also try an old computer cable the one's that are used for the hook up to the internet.
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Auto Modeler: 41 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 - 12:05 PM UTC
Or you can splurge. For a couple bucks, you can get a goodly amount of scale plug wire at the LHS. It comes in a variety of colors and sizes. The nice thing is it doesn't break like sprue if bent and won't kink up like some wire. On that same rack, you'll find braided and rubber hoses, too.
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 - 12:15 PM UTC
My dad used to use thread, pulled through a block of beeswax to eliminate fuzzies. Cheap and handy, if you have thread and beeswax around the house.

Cannibalizing old electronics for wire used to be a sure thing, but I have to admit I haven't taken apart anything of note lately. I can't imagine there's a lot of wire in an iPod. But if you've got an old broken radio around...well, it couldn't hurt to look.

A quick trip to Radio Shack will net you a supply of wire for under $10. Depending on how much you build, a small spool of wire could last for years. They have a lot of different gauges and colors to replicate everything from spark plug wire to heater hose.

HTH.

-YL

EDIT: Al - Sadly, my LHS doesn't carry wiring or other small detail items. I ordered a ton of stuff from Detail Master online a few years ago, and still have plenty of it left.

VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Auto Modeler: 522 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 - 12:32 PM UTC
I've used phone wires, tiny copper wire, sprue, etc. My personal favorite is fishing line in the 10 to 15 lbs. test range. After you get them glued into place and painted just pass a heat source (blown out match) close to them and they'll lay right into place.

Hermon
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 - 12:47 PM UTC
I've done the take stuff apart with success. Old video cameras from the thrift store yields various gauge and colors.
XM radio antenna coax wire is good aluminum color braided hose.
I never tried the fishing line (mono filament) technique before. Sounds interesting.

old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 - 02:16 PM UTC
Thanks guys. all great ideas. Sadly, my LHS{hobbytownusa} isn't the source for detail goodies anymore. My two local radio shacks will be paid a visit tomorrow though and I'll scrounge around the maintenance area @ work and see if there's anything I can use.
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 - 11:04 PM UTC
I use the thin wire used for wire wrapping. Can be found in electronics stores, quite cheap.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wire_wrap

Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 01:42 AM UTC
I use lead wire or fine solder, you can find the lead wire in the fly tying or fishing tackle area of any well stocked sporting goods store. Nice thing about solder/lead wire is that it doesn't have a "memory" and will stay in the shape you put it. I've found sizes down to .012".
 _GOTOTOP