_GOTOBOTTOM
Paint & Finish
For automotive paint and finishing topics.
Tire question
HARV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
Auto Modeler: 182 posts
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2009 - 03:33 AM UTC
I am basically new to this type of modeling. I haven't built any model cars since I was in my very early teens and I was in love with the Corvette.......I guess maybe I still am!!

Anyway my question is this......do you do anything to the soft rubber tires to shine them up or do you leave them as they are?

I am building a police car for the Emergency Vehicle campaign and I didn't know whether to try and add a gloss coat to the tires or leave them as they are. I don't want to do anything that will ruin the tires. So I figured I would ask the experts.

Thanks,

HARV
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Auto Modeler: 359 posts
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2009 - 05:34 AM UTC
Randy,

I'd be inclined to leave them alone as the kit tires I've seen have a semi-sheen to them already. If you wanted to shine them up (like your car or truck tires on your 1:1 vehicle), you could use Future or use a "real" tire shine...like Armor-All. The only thing you'd want to do after that would be to take a fine sand paper or stick to them and "dull up" the treads and a light pigment to get into the treads (much like real tires).

HTH,

Mike
HARV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
Auto Modeler: 182 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 11:18 AM UTC
Thanks Mike.

I kind of figured it would be best to leave them as they are. But I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks again, I appreciate the help.

HARV
 _GOTOTOP