_GOTOBOTTOM
Paint & Finish
For automotive paint and finishing topics.
Paint Crackled
Careos
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 85 posts
Auto Modeler: 4 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 02:27 PM UTC
Hey all.

First of all, gloss finishes have been my bane for the longest time since I have returned to modeling. I have had no luck doing them with airbrushes so I stick with rattle cans. Before I have had decent success with using Krylon as a base and I mainly use Duplicolor as a main coat. However, in putting together a "sample" model, I laid down the Duplicolor, 2 mist coats and one wet coat. The paint how has a less than awesome crackle look. What could have done this?

I guess I should go back to my tamiya primer...should I try to wet sand this down and re shoot or just call out the Easy Off and start over?
damoore46
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 107 posts
Auto Modeler: 49 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 05:05 PM UTC
Did both the primer and paint "crackle"? If so, it may be the prep - cleanliness of the parts, etc. If not, it almost sounds like an enamel over acryllic or lacquer of enamel type of thing.

I had a similar experience when I primed a body that had a "high gloss" plastic finish. I ended up sanding the bare body before paint to give something for the paint to bite on.

In any case, it looks like a bath in the lake is in order.

David
Careos
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 11:12 AM UTC
I think the enamel (actually i think duplicolor is lacquer) is what crackled. I thought that I had used Krylon as an undercoat before, but now I recall that I actually do believe I used Tamiya light gray on the previous model. I guess I will give her a bath and see what happens.
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 02:33 PM UTC
I was going to ask what paints you used but it looks like you already have the answer, i agree the dissimilar paint is what gave the bad finish, i did this once my self i am shore we have all done this before.
Careos
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 07:40 PM UTC
Worked like a charm! I gave her an Easy Off bath and then coated her with Tamiya primer. Then I laid out the duplicolor and got a great finish, minus the few flaws left over from uncleaned paint. Im not too worried about them as this was a practice model, good thing it was!
damoore46
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 107 posts
Auto Modeler: 49 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 08:54 AM UTC
Glad you got it startightened out! We've all had simialr problems. Its happened to me, and it probably won't be the last time either!!

David
 _GOTOTOP