_GOTOBOTTOM
Paint & Finish
For automotive paint and finishing topics.
proper primer?
carleton
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 62 posts
Auto Modeler: 39 posts
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2009 - 02:12 PM UTC
Hi guys/gals
Shawn here, I am building the revell k-100 and was wondering about what primer to use on it.I messed up the w-900 royally and am shelving it for now and moving on.I am going to be painting it using tamiya aerosol yellow.I am lazy and dont want to airbrush and the build is for a friend and he wants tamiya yellow.The guy at my lhs recomended Vallejo white aerosol primer(28010) has anyone here used it with good results?.Thanks in advance from me,aka shawn. ps just got the re release of the revell w-900 and its not bad very very red but still not bad.
Tarok
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Auto Modeler: 97 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 04:30 PM UTC
Hi Shawn,

I've not used the Vallejo primer, so can't speak for it. But I normally use Tamiya's Extra-Fine Light Grey or White primer. I should also confess I've not used it on autos, only figures and AFV's, but no complaints from me about it...

Rudi
carleton
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 09:25 AM UTC
Hi Rudi
Thanks for the reply.I used the Tamiya grey but it did not seeem to work well with the tamiya yellow top coat.I washed it and let it dry and primed it then painted it 2 days later but the topcoat would not lay down properly and the owner of my lhs suggested the Vallejo primer.I am slow at work now so its back to trial and error it seems.I wrote off the w-900 for now and am doing the k-100 kenworth so did not want to ruin another one in such a short amount of time .Again thank you for the reply Rudi and I will post sat or sunday with the results,shawn.
Tarok
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Auto Modeler: 97 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 06:09 PM UTC
Hi Shawn,

From what I've heard yellow is a notoriously difficult colour to get just right. I have no idea why. But it is interesting that the Tamiya aerosol wouldn't stick to the Tamiya primer - stupid question, but you sure you weren't using the polycarbonate body paints?

I'm keen to see your results - I'll be doing my first auto paint job in about 10 years within the coming weeks. (I'll be going for bright orange on a '66 VW Beetle )

Rudi
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
Auto Modeler: 64 posts
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 - 06:01 AM UTC
Hello Shawn , For spraying yellow it's like biting off ones finger nails , white is the same .

Gloss colours such as yellow need to be applied with very light coats , misting the surface let dry before the next one and this might take a few . Light sanding in between coats will also help . Always use white for the primer when spraying yellow , grey will make it look darker .

I have tried the Vallejo primer , but not from the spray can just from the same bottles thinned and airbrush . Seems to be alright for plastic but for metal not good results but that could be just me .

Rudi has a good question . If you where using polycarbonate primer this will cause the trouble you are having . That primer is for RC car bodies and that type of plastic

I never had luck with gloss paints , but I would use Tamiya flat white as my primer and then spray the yellow with flat base mixed in . Flat base paint covers better then gloss and uses less paint .
carleton
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 - 03:32 PM UTC
Hi
Thank you both Terri and Rudi.I wasa using the tamiya fine surface primer for plastic and spraying it with camel yellow tamiya for plastics.I dont like using yellow but I am building a diorama for my buddy who has worked at our shop for 36 years.His fav colour for vehicules is yellow so its yellow and the diorama is of our old shop.I have scratch built his toolbox and a trans jack to have the transmission pulled out and we are both looking at it.The project so far has been loads of fun and a nice break from the armour projects that never seem to get done.I have to paint 1/24th figs now so should be interesting.Thanks again and I will hopfully spray tommorow or sunday.shawn.
 _GOTOTOP