_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Detailing Revell's 69 Nova
RLHoward
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 88 posts
Auto Modeler: 58 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 07:40 AM UTC
Ever since I found this kit I've become addicted. Just wish there was more time to build but here it is so far!

The URL: http://mastersnminiatures.com/69Nova.html

Enjoy!
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 01:15 AM UTC
Nice work RL on the Nova your mods look good so far and the website is coming along also, i am waiting for the engine details my favorite part of any build.
RLHoward
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 09:55 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments Rob. With the Nova, the best is yet to come. I'll be adding more this coming Wednesday afternoon and that will be many of the underhood and engine detailing. I'm going all-out in this area and might take two weeks to get finished. Right now I'm expanding my website and the services offered on it.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 12:27 PM UTC
Hey, my '74's engine looked like the one in the pic...no, wait a minute, that was after I sold her!
My '73 hatchback had a 305...the only thing shiney in there was the radiator cap{it was only a 305}.
Nice job there so far...can't wait to see that and the limo done up!
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 12:34 PM UTC
Fantastic attention to details!
I did a similar thing with the front suspension strut springs too. I used a spring from an old tape player that I gutted out for parts.

RLHoward
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 10:52 PM UTC
Thanks guys! The "Fun" stuff is coming on it with more pics coming in a few days. Yep, gotta love them old Chevy's. Had a 65 a long time ago with a straight 6, stuffed a 327 in it with room to spare. Those were the good old days! Just blew the dust off a Revell 66 GTO kit and by chance, found a website where some Gent is restoring his. Lots of great detail shots there so I'll be starting this one also here shortly.
Detailing Models is loads of fun and it is often surprising what you can do with old stuff that is just laying around the house!!!
RLHoward
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 - 09:10 AM UTC
I meant to post more on the Nova build but commitments at work got in the way this week. Oh well, in the meantime click the link for the build and I've left a "Car-related" humorous video at the bottom of the page for all of you to enjoy until I can post more next Wednesday.

PS: sorry for the small screen size, it wouldn't load any bigger!
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 - 02:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I meant to post more on the Nova build but commitments at work got in the way this week. Oh well, in the meantime click the link for the build and I've left a "Car-related" humorous video at the bottom of the page for all of you to enjoy until I can post more next Wednesday.

PS: sorry for the small screen size, it wouldn't load any bigger!

LOL...too dang funny!!!!!!
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 - 03:41 PM UTC
Nice! very entertaining

RLHoward
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 08:51 AM UTC
Well, the motor is put-together and painting has begun. Everything else is in a flat black basecoat. Things were going good until painting the body. Lesson#1, Krylon paint does not mix well with Dupli-Color automotive laquer. Found that out the hard way!! Will be posting more pics shortly.
RLHoward
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2009 - 08:17 AM UTC
Well Folks I bombed-out on the paint job. Bad case of peeling and can't figure out why. Tried the old soaking the body in pure Simple Green cleaner but it didn't work. Oh well, I'll finish posting the pics of the continuing detailing until I pick up another Nova kit for the body and glassware!
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2009 - 11:23 AM UTC

Don't give up...try soaking the old kit body in some brake fluid. Just use the regular DOT 3 formula in a deep Tupperware container and soak the body in it.

After about 72 hours in the stuff, the old paint should just wrinkle up. I've used this technique many a time, and it's only failed me once (and that was on a fingernail polish paint job, back when that sort of thing was fashionable). Give it a whirl. You've got nothing to lose at this point, right?

-YL
RLHoward
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 09:37 AM UTC
Thanks for the help Yoni! I'll give it a try. Just worried about what the brake fluid will do to the clear glass parts that are attached to the body. Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained!
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 12:26 PM UTC

You know, I have no idea what brake fluid does to clear parts...

Is there any way you can get the glass out? If you've epoxied the clear pieces in place, I've found putting the model in the freezer for a few hours makes it easier to pop off the epoxy.

Super glue? Try some debonder. I guess if the clear pieces fog, you can always try polishing them out.

Just a few thoughts.

-YL
 _GOTOTOP