_GOTOBOTTOM
Paint & Finish
For automotive paint and finishing topics.
Stripping
RLHoward
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 88 posts
Auto Modeler: 58 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 08:48 AM UTC
Paint, that is! Just sprayed my Revell 69 Nova with Dupli-Color automotive color over a Krylon Flat Black basecoat. Unfortunately the paint began to bubble up and crack. Anyone out there know how to strip car paint off of plastic?
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
Auto Modeler: 64 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 11:32 AM UTC
you can use easy off oven cleaner . Spray it on in a well ventilated room . Let it set for half and hour and rise off while scrubbing with an old tooth brush . repeat if you have to .
RLHoward
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 12:27 PM UTC
Wow! Didn't know that stuff works on Automotive paint. I'll give it a try. Thank you Terri!
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 03:05 PM UTC
I've used castrol "super clean" and have heard that "simple green" works well too...no fumes. Just let the piece{s} soak for a few days.....strips old/bad chrome off in minutes.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Auto Modeler: 256 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 05:04 PM UTC
As Bob suggested use “Simply Green”, Castrol Super Clean or Purple Power”. These products can be bought at any local auto supply store. I suggest using the “Simple Green” as I found it’s the strongest of all listed. A bottle costs around $4 buck, just spray it on from time to time, let soak it and simply wash using an old tooth brush to get into tight spots.

It also works great on most paints…oils, lacquers, enamels and so on. It will strip chrome off of plastic in no time.

It will even strip paint that’s been on for years…Rowan (Merlin) did a story w/ photos showing a totally painted canopy of two years using the product and stripping the paint completely off.

It will even strip of the chrome plating from airbrush parts…um I left mine soaking over night to discover the horror.

It’s VERY safe to use, unlike those oven cleaners that’s dangerous. It’s also biodegradable with a minty fresh sent.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
RLHoward
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 09:43 AM UTC
Thanks a million folks for the tips. Might go with the simple green as I did cement the windows in place and taped them off. Never had this happen before.
Next question for evryone here; Would anyone mind if I posted your tips on my website and gave you all credit for them? I'm getting into phase II of the website buildup and greatly expanding the "Tips" sections for fellow Modelers.
 _GOTOTOP