_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Quick Look: AMT 1951 Bel Air Convertible
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 09:08 AM UTC
While browsing the shelves at the LHS recently, I came across the Round 2 reissue of AMT's '51 Bel Air convertible kit. Being a big fan of the original AMT mold, I decided to pick one up and have a look. After all, it had been released in late 2008, and I had yet to get my mitts on one...

The kit comes in a very nicely done two piece, slide top box, covered with what looks like the original artwork. The bottom of the box (box tray) has a parts overview printed on it, clearly showing the kit contents. On one box side, there is a painting guide with callouts for the appropriate colors of Pactra paints(!). Ahhhh, the memories.

The kit is molded in white. The convertible body, tires, chrome tree, decals and glass are separately bagged. The remainder of the kit parts are in one bigger poly bag.

The kit parts look good at first glance. I haven't gone over everything with a fine tooth comb, but I did notice some rather heavy mold lines on the tops of the front and rear fenders of the body, as well as a few random ejector marks. I have a mid-80's issue of this kit in hardtop form, and the new parts look just a bit crisper and bit more defined in comparison.

The kit comes with both stock and custom options for the engine and body. The motor is a rendition of the venerable Chevy Stovebolt six, mated to a manual transmission. The engine can be topped with either the stock intake & exhaust manifolds, carb, air cleaner and valve cover, or a custom setup with dual carbs, split exhaust headers, chrome valve cover and individual chrome air cleaners. The split headers tie in with a custom exhaust with dual pipes and mufflers.

The body has both the convertible up top and boot. The body emblems and trim are cleanly molded and look good. The stock grille and front and rear bumpers are present, as are the custom parts, which include a different front grille, headlight bezels, and front and rear roll pans. The stock fender skirts are included as well.

There are no options for the stock interior except for a chrome, three spoke steering wheel. The stock dash is molded well enough that you can clearly see the instrument faces. The front and rear bench seats are nicely represented, and the floor pan has the carpet texture molded in.

There are two sets of vinyl tires in the kit. One is a set of AMT's old BFGoodrich Radial T/As with some rather large sidewall lettering. The other is a set of stock looking, skinny Firestones. Wheel options include the stock steelies with separate Chevy dog dish hubcaps, and a set of chrome reverse wheels with baby moons.

The small decal sheet contains a set of flames, Chevy bowtie and Michigan "Historic Vehicle" license plates, and a set of AMT and Goodyear logos. At first glance, the decals look a tad thick, but are well registered. The instruction sheet is a reprint of the original.

There are a few nice extras included. There is a 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" AMT sticker included with the decals, as well as a miniature display box. The display box is printed out on a separate sheet of thin cardboard, and is meant to be cut out and assembled.

On a personal level, I am thrilled to see this one back on the shelves, and I have to give kudos to Round 2/ Auto World/ Learning Curve for doing a very nice job with the packaging and presentation. The AMT sticker and collectible mini-box are sweet surprises, but I'm especially happy to see the clear pieces not only separately bagged, but also wrapped in a thin foam sheet. With some kits having sticker prices of more than $20, it was also a nice surprise to see this at the LHS for around $16.

-YL
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 12:04 PM UTC
Nice little review Yoni i personally have never built this kit but i may give it a try i. In one of the LHS's i shop at they have this kit in before it was repoped and i think it was $25.00 i would not pay that for this old kit but at about $16.00 that sounds like a good buy to me.
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 02:58 PM UTC
I like those interesting extras too. Thanks for the review.

Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 03:47 PM UTC
Robert: It looks to me like the molds were cleaned up, but the kit is still vintage (read: old) AMT. That's not bad, as this one has a separate frame, a platform interior with separate door panels, different building options and all those nifty extra parts. It's not Revell's '69 Nova, to be sure, but it is still a supremely buildable kit. I think it's a very good deal for the price, especially since it allows me to build a kit that was first issued 30 years ago without destroying the collectibility of an original. Plus, it's a convertible, and it's summer...

KSO: No problem. Happy to pass on the info!

-YL
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 04:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

. . . Plus, it's a convertible, and it's summer...
-YL

Haha, so true!

Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 11:05 PM UTC
Great little review Yoni. Looks and sounds like a very nice kit.
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2009 - 05:24 PM UTC

...and maybe I'll even get it built sometime in the next 5 years!

-YL
Tarok
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Auto Modeler: 97 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2009 - 05:47 PM UTC
Hi Yoni,

Thanks for the preview, man! Hey, if you're up to photographing the individual sprues we could turn this into a full In-Box review here on AM - you've allready done the text, buddy!

Thanks about it...

Rudi
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2009 - 04:57 AM UTC
Thanks for the review!
I know Billy G's Cadzilla was a Caddy when started, but since there's no real badging on the fine finished product, I wonder if an early chevy could be stretched and tweeked to make a cadzilla clone?!
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2009 - 05:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...and maybe I'll even get it built sometime in the next 5 years!

-YL

Ahhhh, I see your on that "build installment plan" too! I think I'm actually on a "7 year ARM"{7 years til Actually Ready ta Make}.
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2009 - 09:34 AM UTC

Rudi: Sure, I'm interested. Thankfully, the kit is still in bags with all the sprues intact! I'll send you a PM with some questions.

Bob: Sadly, with my work schedule, modeling has taken a back seat to my job these days. I'd be happy to get the projects I have in progress finished up before I crack open another kit!

-YL

_GOTOTOP