_GOTOBOTTOM
Paint & Finish
For automotive paint and finishing topics.
Polishing Future
AlxUSMC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 216 posts
Auto Modeler: 20 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2009 - 09:03 PM UTC
I am kind of stuck on a build of my Tamiya Taisan StarCard Porsche GT2.

I have painted the body and applied two very nicely laid coats of future to apply the endless amount of decals. I was wondering if after the decals are applied and another coat of future is laid down, can I polish the future? I have heard that if you sand between coats with 3200+ grit between coats helps, but I am terrified of messing this up and having to scrap the model. What my plan dictates is to seal the decals with 2 coats of future, and polish it with car polish, but I am a begginner and dont want to mess up what I have done. Any ideas??

Thanks to all

Ohh yeah...the other sites have the Dragon Model of the Month, why do we not have one on this site??
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
Auto Modeler: 16 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2009 - 10:45 PM UTC
I sanded/polished future in order to smooth out the transition between the paint surface and some very thick decals.
let it cure for at least 2 days. this may be overkill but better safe than sorry.
It is basically acrylic paint medium. proceed with caution though. very light pressure only.

Good luck.
AlxUSMC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 216 posts
Auto Modeler: 20 posts
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2009 - 03:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I sanded/polished future in order to smooth out the transition between the paint surface and some very thick decals.
let it cure for at least 2 days. this may be overkill but better safe than sorry.
It is basically acrylic paint medium. proceed with caution though. very light pressure only.

Good luck.

I got the application down, but how did you sand it/polish it????, thats what Im really after. Its been cured for about 3 days, Im going to apply decals tonight and seal them tomorrow evening with two coats. after that comes the sanding and polishing! help pls
VenomOrca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 209 posts
Auto Modeler: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2009 - 04:52 PM UTC
Does the color coat have to be glossy as well, or can a flat coat be used for better coverage?

Also...If you use a glossy color coat does that have to be polished before the clear coats go on?

Thank you.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 12:03 PM UTC
Future is an acrylic, like paint, but not exactly the same. The last semi truck I futured had a section that was for some unforseen reason, gritty...I sanded it with 1000 and after laying another coat on I noticed that the saned section was alittle foggy...to me, it seems future doesn't like filling in all that sanded stuff very well...my opinion! Try it on another piece/scrap model and see if it does it to you...maybe it was just my bad luck.
I love future..fixes shot glass, coats models well for decals and even finish coats them for a glossy shine...I lay in on heavy and use Q tips to mop any corners that have drips..it lays even when it dries but can dry thick if ya let it. Maybe it's me but my iwata either lays it on heavy or splatters too thinly - I haven't found a happy medium just yet.
 _GOTOTOP