_GOTOBOTTOM
The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Model of the month
AlxUSMC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 216 posts
Auto Modeler: 20 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 08:31 PM UTC
I was just wondering how come the automodeler site doesnt have a Model of the Month, I know the traffic on this site is not as heavy as the others, but this might encourage some of the armor and aero folks to come this way. Maybe not a monthly contest, but like modelgeek is trying to do, a quarterly one?? Just sayin
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 11:04 PM UTC
I think it would be a great idea.
AlxUSMC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 09:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think it would be a great idea.

Im glad someone actually looked at this post and agrees with me, armorama gets all the traffic there for reasons like this
RLHoward
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 88 posts
Auto Modeler: 58 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 10:19 AM UTC
Other Sites? What other Sites? Very true Marine, Model of the Month sounds like a great idea, Hoooorah!

Stay safe whereever you are!!
c5flies
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Auto Modeler: 294 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 04:09 PM UTC
What a great idea....

Now, for a MoM (or quarterly) we need some prizes, or maybe one prize to start. I'm still stumbling around trying to find who the vendors/manufacturers are for the AutoModeler side of things, but we should be able to get something going here for a contest.

AlxUSMC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 07:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What a great idea....

Now, for a MoM (or quarterly) we need some prizes, or maybe one prize to start. I'm still stumbling around trying to find who the vendors/manufacturers are for the AutoModeler side of things, but we should be able to get something going here for a contest.

c5flies, you should deffinately keep us in the loop, I think if some of the other sites see automodeler having a model of the month it might bring some attention to the site.
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 08:45 AM UTC
Good idea.

old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 09:26 AM UTC
How's about a description of what "model of the month" is exactly? ...a full build with pics and info or a done vehicle only with pic?
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 11:50 AM UTC
re: Prize(s)

another auto modeling site I visit and am a member of, has a model of the month without material prizes at all.
The winning car is featured on the front page with member name and name of car if it has one.
There is participation every month by entry and voting. All just good clean fun...

AlxUSMC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 03:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

How's about a description of what "model of the month" is exactly? ...a full build with pics and info or a done vehicle only with pic?

i think it would be good to do it the same as armorama does, send in 10 to 15 pics with one chosen for the contest and if you win later you get a feature.
c5flies
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 08:20 AM UTC
You guys ready to give this a try? Since we're just starting off here, and participation may be limited (at least in the beginning), let's keep it real simple. All suggestions/opinions welcome

What is Model of the Month (or Model of the Quarter)? A friendly atmosphere where you can proudly show off one of your completed builds and have members vote for the one they like best. All images will be posted 'anonymously', to keep things more fair.

When we start this, all images can be sent to my staff email address, and I'll post the designated image in a dedicated thread. If I can figure out how to work the Voting Poll on the homepage, we can vote there...we'll have some way or other to do it anonymously.

Rules:
1-Finished model must have to do with AutoModeler (of course), cars, bikes, trucks, etc., no limitations on aftermarket items used, scale or skill level.

2-Honor system of not 'advertising' for votes....let's not have everybody in your family vote for you during your next re-union!

3-Images....10-15 various shots of the completed model, with one designated to be the one the public will vote on. Short description on scale, brand, AM used, paints, etc., anything you feel would be of benefit to the community.

4-For now, let's just go with one winner, who will get a Feature. Later on, hopefully, we'll have some 'prizes' and maybe have more than one place.

5-Staff members will have final say on ties and/or any other issues that may arise.

Ideas?????
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Auto Modeler: 522 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 10:50 AM UTC
Sounds good to me. I haven't forgotten how to build cars.......it's just that I have a zillion airplanes that have to be finished this year. I'm signed up for both the car campaign here so I'm trying to do my part.

Hermon
Tarok
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Auto Modeler: 97 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 11:19 AM UTC
This doesn't need to (and shouldn't) be about prizes, but for the bragging rights In fact, that's how most, if not all, the MOM's on the various Kitmaker sites started.
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 08:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

CALLSIGN: c5flies
Rules:
1-Finished model must have to do with AutoModeler (of course), cars, bikes, trucks, etc., no limitations on aftermarket items used, scale or skill level.

2-Honor system of not 'advertising' for votes....let's not have everybody in your family vote for you during your next re-union!

3-Images....10-15 various shots of the completed model, with one designated to be the one the public will vote on. Short description on scale, brand, AM used, paints, etc., anything you feel would be of benefit to the community.

4-For now, let's just go with one winner, who will get a Feature. Later on, hopefully, we'll have some 'prizes' and maybe have more than one place.

5-Staff members will have final say on ties and/or any other issues that may arise.

Sounds good.
Does the car have to be a build during the month or quarter time frame represented?

Tarok
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 11:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Does the car have to be a build during the month or quarter time frame represented?

The entry should be completed during the period (month or quarter) it is entered - same as the Armorama and HF contests (I think Aeroscale may have changed to this rule as well).
AlxUSMC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 10:18 PM UTC
This is great, been out of the loop with our newborn (and future modeler) Im glad we got a big response. So whats next?
c5flies
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2009 - 07:37 PM UTC
Congrats Alex

Let's set a date for our first Model of the Month(?). How about October, that should give everybody time to get entries complete and things set-up. If all entries are sent in no later then September 30th, then voting can be held October 1-14. If that sounds like a workable timeframe, I'll start getting things ready.
AlxUSMC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2009 - 11:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Congrats Alex

Let's set a date for our first Model of the Month(?). How about October, that should give everybody time to get entries complete and things set-up. If all entries are sent in no later then September 30th, then voting can be held October 1-14. If that sounds like a workable timeframe, I'll start getting things ready.

lets do it!!
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 03:40 PM UTC
yeah cool, I should have my Caddy done by then

Tarok
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 05:00 PM UTC
I'd like to put the following thoughts regarding the Auto MoM/Q out to the membership for consideration:

1) We create a campaign/group build page for each contest period and have members sign-up to each contest. This will enable us to award ribbons for entry.
2) A ribbon could be awarded to the first placed entry (bragging rights)
3) "Normal" campaign entries are allowed to be entered into the MoM/Q
4) 1 or 2 photos submitted by users into the contest gallery. Composite photos allowed.
 _GOTOTOP