Scale truck modeling topics.
revell vs. italeri tractors
pastafarian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 207 posts
Auto Modeler: 66 posts
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2009 - 06:34 AM UTC
I'm thinking of picking up my first tractor and wonder how much difference there is between these two. I'm sure Italeri has more detail, but there's a $50 price difference between the Revell standard Peterbilt and any of the Italeri rigs (at Hobby Lobby anyways). Is there $50 worth of detail there?

I've looked around for reviews but haven't found anything.

John
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2009 - 07:44 AM UTC
John,

Many of the Revell of Germany & Italeri trucks are exactly the same kits. Many, not all. Most of the Italeri kits (Mack Superliner, Freightliners, Peterbilt 378.) have a Freightliner frame, and are usually in 1/24. The Revell of Germany kits are pretty well detailed, and have the correct frames, suspension, etc.; and are generally 1/25. The European trucks that Revell of Germany sells are 1/24, and are the same as the Italleri.

Which trucks are you comparing? That might make a difference.

Jim
pastafarian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2009 - 08:11 AM UTC
I'm looking at the Revell conventional tractor 359
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLRL5&P=ML

and the Italeri 377
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXR310&P=BR

I'm fine with the 359 being an older truck, I just wasn't wanting something that wasn't very detailed. I'm wanting to build a diorama inspired by Ice Road Truckers (I know everyone hates that show ), so the version of the truck isn't important.

Since they usually use the same molds, is it just name brand that explains the price difference?

Thanks for the help on this,
John

jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2009 - 01:22 PM UTC
Ah!! Now I see. The Peterbilt 359 that you linked to is the Revell USA (ex-Monogram) snap kit. Now, don't snub it because it's a snap kit. It builds out into a very nice 1980-86 Peterbilt 359-119, and it has a very nice Caterpiller 3406 diesel engine. On the down side, the suspension is a ittle lacking in detail, and the tires suck; but all in all it is a very nice kit. I've seen some amazing things done with this kit.

The Italleri 1/24 Pererbilt 377 is (from what I've heard) a very nice kit. I personnaly have not built it, so I cannot really comment on it. It is a early 1990s Peterbilt 377 A/E, and it can be kit bashed into several diferent trucks (377, 378, 379, etc). I believe it has a Detroit Series 60 in it, but I'm not quite sure.

If you want to know absoultely ANYTHING abot Peterbilts, look here:
Tim's Trucks. Tim is a great guy, and a wealth of Peterbilt information. The 359 will be in Peterbilt Conventionals 1973-1986, while the 377 A/E will be i Peterbilt Conventionals 1987-current.

Hope this heps.

Jim
pastafarian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 - 01:48 AM UTC
That helps alot. Thanks!! Since I'm going to coat alot of the suspension in "frozen snow and ice" a little lack of detail on those parts won't really matter. Tires will be hidden a little by the same stuff, and with some snow chains should look pretty neat. Tim's site looks like it would be alot of help also.

Now to detailt a trailer that I have in the stash, find a load, and get started

Thanks a bunch James!

John
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 - 03:31 AM UTC
Glad to help.

Don't forget to post pics of your progress. And, it just so happens that I like Ice Road Truckers. I'm actually kind of glad to see Hugh getting taken down a peg or two.

So you know, most of the AMT trailers on the market are mid-1970s variety. If you want a modern one, you're kind of on your own. Here's a link to a site that has lots of detailing articles from Car Modeler, Scale Auto Enthusiast, and FSM among others: http://public.fotki.com/modeltrucks25thscale/model_magazine_articles/. Guess it's a good thing Round2 is planning on reissuing the Fruehauf Flatbed later this year.

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 - 12:32 PM UTC
Oh I don't know about that...italeri has they're newer versions{48' and I think a 53'}.
Add to the fact that there are a few guys running newer trucks with older trailers{$$$}.

John, that pete can be made box stock but she mods well too. I made an old needlenose pete out of mine with single drive too. The only thing I really didn't like about the kit was the rims/tires set up.
Hit "photos" on my post and I'm sure the pete of mine is still in my photo profile.
Oh, photobucket is the hot set up for uploading pics and tranfering them here{if ya didn't know already}.

edit...it would seem my pete is no longer there...hehehe...oops! However, james' pete is in his photo profile....I can snap a pic of mine if you want...but I think you'll do fine without it. Do some google searches on peterbuilts and find something you like...and then build her.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 - 12:50 PM UTC
True, trailers probably don't tend to "wear out" as fast as the tractors do. And with some modifications that AMT Freuhauf flatbed can be brought at least into the 1990s: extend it to 48 or 53ft, use an aftermarket air ride suspension, and update the brake system to a dual circuit. Don't think it would be too difficult.

Jim
pastafarian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 - 02:35 PM UTC
I'll be sure to put up some pics once I get started on it. I was going to use the Lindberg flatbed trailer from the L-700 truck. It will need some of the I beams on the frame to reinforce it, but I think other than some little things, it should be ok. What do you guys think?

The Pete sounds good then. I'll add some stuff, I don't think I can build OOB anymore. Not that my stuff is that good, I just have alot of fun getting creative.

As soon as I get moved and settled (heading to Texas) I'll put up some pictures of the L-700. I stretched out the tractor frame and made it a car hauler (sort of like a roll-back, but I'm using ramps). Sort of a hillbilly conversion. Alot of the work is done, but it needs some more.

John

jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 - 02:51 PM UTC
I've never built the Lindberg flatbed, so I cannot comment on the quality of the kit. Bob might be able to. I can tell you that is a 36ft trailer, and it's late 1960s. If you had two of them you might be able to make a Super-B some how. I think the trailer is going to be kind of small behind the Peterbilt as it's ment for older trucks. It might not even be tall enough.

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 - 02:53 PM UTC
You could make a straight truck too and forgo the whole tractor trailer thing...this time.
That snap pete has hidden potencial, it's just those wheels....I'd suggest dave natale's resin tire/rim items or a cheapy ebay truck kit to take the wheels from.
As soon as JBOT gets his site open I'm buying some decals for future builds.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 - 02:57 PM UTC
Oh, the lindberg trailer has it's issues too...a neat kit in it's day, but the sink holes on both halves of the deck...yeah, it's two piece...you'd be redoing the tops to make her look good. Some balsa wood and some stryrene would be a great new top for it with no joint between the two.
Lindberg has the tanker coming back out sometime in the near future and that would make a fine shorty straight tanker or B twin unit.

I took my old L700 and made her a straight truck - stakebed. I still haven't made the stakesdie latches that I like yet, so she's sidelined....that and I opened up the two lil side windows and can't get any clear sheet to curve enough around the radius without crazing{turning white ish}
Jmarles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Auto Modeler: 16 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 - 07:00 PM UTC
They are probably too old but the old AMT line of trucks have been re-issued by a private re-boxer. I believe Mega Hobbies is selling them online for about $35, I've seen them go for double that....I think they also have the AMT trailers. Also a great website is Hank's Truck pictures/forums...loads of pics as well as a modelling section. I love Ice Road too....but I work with Teamsters in the film industry, I think I am going to make a film truck! The trucks tend to be older to make importation easier....
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 01:36 AM UTC
I don't know if you've looked there yet or not, but one place you might wnat to consider looking for trailers is Model Express. Here's the link to their trailers page. Dennis is a good guy.

Of course, there's always Fred's Model World Online. He tends to have a lot of stuff.

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 04:09 PM UTC
Jim, Awh ya had to do that didn't ya...after looking I just came back from his site after having ordered 3 things...trucks of course!
{oh, no I haven't tried but I may if JB isn't open soon}

John, this guy has built trucks that would have better wheels...cheap.
pastafarian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2009 - 02:12 AM UTC
Bob, I'm having the same problem seeing lots of stuff I didn't know existed. This is the answer for any questions that I have about other kits: "no one makes that, you have to scratch build it."

That will at least stall me a bit I asked about an RV in 1/24 or 25 and no one knew of one. But I've been brainstorming about how to scratch the whole thing.

John
 _GOTOTOP