_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
air cooled campaign Porsche
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Auto Modeler: 522 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2009 - 11:24 AM UTC
Here is my entry for the air cooled campaign. It's the Porsche 911 Turbo by Tamiya. All I've done is open the box and clean off the parts at this point. I'll be doing this one over the next few weeks along with several airplane campaigns I have going on.

Along with the boxart here is a pic of the three colors I'm considering for the body of the Porsche. 1st is Burgundy red metallic. 2nd is Arctic Blue metallic. 3rd is Champagne Gold metallic. Anyone care to help me decide the color choice?

Hermon
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2009 - 12:32 PM UTC
If you mix the Arctic Blue metallic with the Champagne Gold metallic, might get a sort of emerald green met.
Or go with the straight Champagne Gold metallic.
Is that Model Master enamel?
What clear coat do you use?

Can you take sprue, body, and chassis shots and post into the thread? I'd like to see the OOB molded details

old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2009 - 05:45 PM UTC
My vote- artic blue outside/ gray inside with grey wheel inserts....
Snowhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Auto Modeler: 234 posts
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 - 08:04 AM UTC
Burgundy red, off course
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 - 11:43 AM UTC
One vote for red, one vote for blue, and one vote for champagne......
Damn, you guys are no help at all.

KSO, these are indeed model master enamels. For clear coat I usually just go with Future polish and buff the heck out of it. I've never had much luck with enamel clear coats. Seems like they never dry enough to buff. Probably something I do wrong.
I'll post you some sprue, body and chassis shots here. Might have time tonight, if not I'll be sure and do it before I start the build.

Hermon
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 - 11:46 AM UTC
Looks like an interesting build Hermon does it have an engine, my vote is for the blue.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 - 12:43 PM UTC
Robert, the only engine detail at all is moulded into the underside of the chassis.
KSO, here are the sprue shots along with the body etc. This is a nice kit overall. No sink marks, ejector pin marks, very very little flash. The only drawback is the vast lack of detail. With the awsome custome work you've done on your DONK project you could probably bring this kit to life easily. I'll probably just detail a few odds and ends in the interior such as radio knobs and heater controls and maybe some flocking for carpet but that'll be about it.
So.....here are some sprue shots.

Really nice body. No distortions or flash to clean up

Chassis is really bare. Probably just hit it with some flat black and a bit of weathering.

Seats, again no detail. I may glue on some gun cleaning patches for texture. Dunno yet.

Dash. Not much to go on here

Bottom (and only) side of engine. Again, not much to work with.

Suspension and exhaust. Pretty basic.

Full sprue shot. Yeah, not much there.

And the wheels. Plain but with promise.

That pretty well sums up the kit. As I said, some one with plenty of time and exceptional skills could really go wild with this one. At this point I'm thinking I'll just build it with minor detailing and concentrate on a really slick finish on the shell.

Hermon
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 - 03:53 PM UTC
Thanks for the pictures and sprue shots. Great photography, BTW. Very clear and well lit.

That looks like a good clean little kit. Tamiya cars make super good OOB builds.

VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 01:02 PM UTC
Here is my rushed attempt at adding some detail to the Porsches interior. I cut a piece of gun cleaning patch to fit the center section and then glued it onto the seat. I then painted the two tone brown. I think it actually looks like crap but at least it's better than the stock seat and it really won't be seen very well once it's in place in the car. I probably should have at least sanded down the seams on the outer edges of the seat first.

When I get some more free time I'll paint the power seat buttons and face plate and then do a little dry brushing. Hopefully that will tone everything down some.

Hermon
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 11:58 AM UTC
Hermon the seat doesn't look that bad and as you said when it's put together not a lot will be seen, are you shore that seem doesn't belong there some seat backs are made of a very thick plastic with cloth on the seat surface.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 03:15 PM UTC
Kinda looks like natural, unfinished leather.....a few random white spots and it's jersy!
Hey, it's the optional deer or cow skin interior...you pay alot for that ya know! Do snake or gator for the next build!
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 01:37 PM UTC
Dang Bob, you gave me an idea. I may paint a rebel flag on the top of the Porsche and call it the "git-r-done" ride.

Anyway.......my airbrush finally shot it's wad. Literally. So while I'm getting used to the new one I'm just concentrating on cleaning up a few parts and finishing up a funky French dive bomber for a campaign over on Aeroscale.

Hermon
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2009 - 03:23 AM UTC
Well, if it were to be larry's ride, then "buck" would probably the skin of choice{just a guess}, then camo for the paint. Don't forget the beer cooler inside....
New AB huh....what'd ya get?

Passing note of little interest...had I not started my deal wheels VW van already, I would've entered it in...
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 12:09 PM UTC
Passing note of little interest...had I not started my deal wheels VW van already, I would've entered it in...
Enter it Bob. I won't tell anyone if you wont.
Yeah, i had to buy a new airbrush. I went with the Aztek 470 this time. Out of the box it looks like a plastic piece of crap. It actually is really cool and the changable tips are awsome. My old ab spit out some big blobs of paint all over the Porsche so I had to strip it all back off. Should have a progress pic up in a few days. Two kids playing football is killing my bench time......but hey, they're only young once.

Hermon
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 12:53 PM UTC
Ok, so here it is as of now. Please don't touch it since the paint is still veeeeery wet.

Soon as this is dry I'll polish it up and add a couple of coats of clear gloss. Then It'll be time to mask and paint the black bits.

Hermon
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2009 - 05:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

1)Enter it Bob. I won't tell anyone if you wont.
2)I went with the Aztek 470 this time.
3)...they're only young once.

Hermon

1) we'll see, the helmit is finally done....
2)Had one of those, use a squeaze bulb to clean out the tips well so they don't clog up...that inner sprung needle in each tip can come out to facilitate easier cleaning but don't stretch the spring. The adjustable needle in back is the part I miss with my iwata...that was kinda nice.
3)not exactly true, as we get older we get the "mid life crisis" thing to fall back on, or if your like me, ya just never grow up.
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2009 - 03:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok, so here it is as of now. Please don't touch it since the paint is still veeeeery wet.

Soon as this is dry I'll polish it up and add a couple of coats of clear gloss. Then It'll be time to mask and paint the black bits.

Hermon

This is going to look nice

Modelbouwerke
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 794 posts
Auto Modeler: 179 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2009 - 08:05 PM UTC
Nice color.
And a clean paintjob.

Erikssson.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 - 03:09 PM UTC
Well it's been over a month so I thought I'd do a bit of work on the Porsche. Here is a shot of where it's at now. Still lots of bits and pieces to install and a buttload of touchups. Second shot is the underside. Still alot of room for improvement there as well.

I've got just about a week left before I start a couple of other airplane campaigns so I'm gonna try and button this baby up.

Hermon
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 - 03:29 PM UTC

BTW, I noticed we don't have a campaign ribbon for this build. Does something like this look acceptable?

Just a thought.
Hermon
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 11:26 AM UTC
Well.......OK, never mind then.

Hermon
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 11:44 AM UTC
The front bumper area looks pretty good. Did you mask and spray the black?

The underside looks fine and I don't know if the Porsche factory undercoats the cars or not. I do see some primer that the base coat color missed down there. Also don't know if it concerns you if it's not going to be entered into a live contest arena.

How did you paint the hubs? Mask or by hand?

HARV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
Auto Modeler: 182 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 06:10 AM UTC
Hermon,

Quoted Text

BTW, I noticed we don't have a campaign ribbon for this build. Does something like this look acceptable?

Looks good to me.

HARV
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 10:33 AM UTC
Damn, I thought I was being boycotted there for a while.

KSO, all the trim was hand painted with flat black then coated with Future. The wheels were masked with Tamiya tape and sprayed. The underside........yeah, I missed a buttload of spots with the body color. Luckly the body isn't glued on yet. I'll have to re-shoot around the bottom edges again.

Hermon
 _GOTOTOP