_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
breaking a rear window
pastafarian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 207 posts
Auto Modeler: 66 posts
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2009 - 09:40 AM UTC
Anyone know how to make a representation of a shattered rear car window? It's a 1969 Dodge Charger if the type of glass makes a difference at that time.

I want it to look like either someone threw rocks at it or a tree branch fell (either way, just want it broke). I was thinking of maybe running a bead of glue along the seal and then sprinkling salt or sugar on it with some overspill in the back seat.

Thanks,
John
muchachos
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 537 posts
Auto Modeler: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2009 - 09:59 AM UTC
I don''t really do cars, but the way that we armour modelers do it for broken windows is to cut up the clear part of a blister pack like this into the shape of broken glass, and then glue into the window frame. That wouldn't really be tempered glass, though. Perhaps a combination of the techniques? Do some experimenting first.

SCOTT
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2009 - 02:12 PM UTC
For a "hole" you can take a tiny drill in a pin vice and make said hole...or a big one. Use your #11 blade and make radiating cracks from it as much as needs to be....for that shattered look you'll want to do "alot" of rings and radiating crack lines....a sanding stick may speed things up.
For a cracked window you can use the same #11 blade and run the crack anywhere you want it from or to...
I'd practice on a spare window or something like actiate to achieve the effect your after.
pastafarian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 207 posts
Auto Modeler: 66 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 05:35 AM UTC
I'll give those ideas a try. Thanks guys.

John
 _GOTOTOP