Scale truck modeling topics.
Adam-12
outlaws
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 27 posts
Auto Modeler: 1 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 06:29 PM UTC
Does anyone make a 1/24 or 1/25 scale model of the Adam-12 police cars? (specifically the 1972 Matador or the later Plymouth)
john111
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 39 posts
Auto Modeler: 9 posts
Posted: Monday, September 07, 2009 - 10:13 AM UTC
Hello Kevin,

Try a company called policemodels.com, I have gotten kits and parts from them and they are very good and quick, good luck
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Monday, September 07, 2009 - 11:06 AM UTC
IIRC, the cars used during the show's run were a 1968 & 1969 Plymouth Belvedere, a 1971 Plymouth Satellite, and a 1972 & 1973 AMC Matador.

AMT made a few Matadors back in the day, but to my knowledge none of them were the correct years for the Adam-12 car. I do know that there was a kit of Bobby Allison's Matador, but it was a '75 and kitted as a race car.

You might have better luck with the '71 Satellite. Over the years, Monogram/Revell has released the '71 as both a Satellite and a GTX, with the GTX currently listed in their catalog. This kit would need a good amount of scratchbuilding to turn it into an accurate police cruiser, but it would be a place to start.

As previously stated, Policecarmodels.com has a lot of good police stuff, but they don't stock the Revell GTX kit. If you can't find it locally, Model Roundup has it in listed in their online catalog.

HTH.

-YL
YesVirginia
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
Auto Modeler: 3 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 03:09 PM UTC
There is a Santa Claus. I cannot make out the manufacturer of this kit, but it did, indeed, exist. There was also a cox engine model that was made in the 70's.
YesVirginia
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 03:40 PM UTC
After a bit more research, I am pretty certain that this is a MPC (manufacturer) model kit, based on the logo in the lower right corner of the box. However, it's an early kit so I cannot be for certain.
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Auto Modeler: 95 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 04:39 PM UTC
It is an early kit, and no longer in production.

However it may not hurt to throw Round 2 an e-mail (they own the rights to all the AMT, MPC, Polar Lights and Ertl molds for the next 10years), and see if:

1. The mold still exists

and

2. What the likely hood of re-releasing it might be
YesVirginia
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 04:54 PM UTC
A bit more research located some information on the cox gas-powered Adam-12...

Order #: 9400
Engine: .049
Production Years: 1974-1975

Description:
A model of the police car known through the NBC TV-series. Equipped with a mechanical, program disk driven steering system (Cox-O-Matic).
#9464 with starting accessories.
#9400 was later reused for the electric Cessna C/L flyer
Color Schemes: black/white

kay7015
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Auto Modeler: 1 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 11:11 PM UTC
I am having a hard time finding this Cox Adam 12 Patrol Car. I tryied Policemodels.com any other ideas on where to find one? None on ebay at this time.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 04:23 AM UTC
Technicaly this should be in the "cars" section..but hey, while I'm here-
Ok, 1st off, there's really no similarity between the '71 coupes and sedans and the best bet is to look for a promo car to build up...I'd bet you'll spend roughly $60-$80 on it at a guess..? I'm not sure there ever was a model of the '71 satellite - but that doesn't mean there wasn't...I just have no recollection of one. If there was think 3 digits for the kit for it's rarity...look for a promo since it'll be cheaper!
2ndly...ok, you know what a '71 satellite/roadrunner/gtx "coupe" looks like right, so here is a video of what the sedan{4 door} looks like;
'71 plymouth sedan
Sorry, not trying to burst your bubble here, but this is one of those cars that really never got to be a mainstream model. My wanted kit would be a 1/25 '76 Pontiac Grand Am.......none ever made.
 _GOTOTOP