_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Mad Max Road Warrior Black Interceptor build.
Pedro
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
Auto Modeler: 51 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 09:20 AM UTC
Hi all!

I just love Mad Max movies and everything postapocalyptic like Fallout series of games. And so I bought myself this nice Aoshima Mad Max II interceptor.
It's coming along nicely. So far I have modified the roof spoiler because it was a solid triangle bar from the outside and empty inside. First I had removed the rear wall of it, filled resulting hole in the roof with a strip of styrene, filled, sanded and voilla! I also had to add rear fender flares endings pointing to the rear like on the real car and not downwards. Rear leaf springs mount was also raised and revised as per movie. Last thing added was the interior mounted emergency light tray made of aluminium foil, replacing kit part which was way too thick. I have already painted the body with primer and everything looks fine so far (except few dang cats hairs).

Cheers
Greg

VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Auto Modeler: 522 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 12:04 PM UTC
She's looking good so far Pedro.
I too am a big fan of the whole Mad Max, end of the world, nuclear holocaust stuff. I have been collecting parts and pieces for a couple of years now to make myself a big nasty four wheel drive armoured death machine.

Hermon
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 12:30 PM UTC
Nice mods, Pedro. I've never paid that close attention to realize those inaccuracies.

Jmarles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Auto Modeler: 16 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 09:32 PM UTC
Very cool! I am a Mad Max NUT, so much so I bought a real life version of the Big Bopper Try madmaxmovies.com or aussiecoupes.com for reference pics if you need, they should have something.
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2009 - 11:09 PM UTC
Pretty cool subject. Looking forward to seeing more of this mad bulid
Pedro
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 - 03:56 AM UTC
Hi guys,

Hermon, 1:1 or scale model?

KoSprueOne, there is probably a bunch more of inacuracies in this model, take for egsample lack of grooves where fiberglass nosecone joins sheet metal work ( already addresed those) or lack of two undercuts in rear lower roll pan edge (where exhaust tips protruded through on a stock Ford Falcon).

Julian, 1:1 Big Bopper, well that must be one hell of a cool ride! Thanks for the links, I visit madmaxmovies.com pretty regularly while I'm building this model

Here we go with the next batch of photos. Two coats of primer went on really smoothly with sanding inbetween. Unfortunately, first coat of gloss black came out with that horrible orange peel effect and quite a few dust particles thrown in the mix. I'm glad that it's only the first coat but it will require a good deal of sanding and buffing to get it right and ready for the next coat.

Cheers
Greg

And finally, an "in action" photo of painted body (forgive me the use of flash):

Tarok
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Auto Modeler: 97 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 05:11 PM UTC
Very nice work thus far - I love the interior detailing.

For some eye-candy and inspiration , here are 2 Interceptors by the well-known Aussie modeller Ian Hill:

1/25 interceptor in plastic- this is where it started
1/18 MAD MAX INTERCEPTOR - different and diecast

RR
Pedro
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 10:42 PM UTC
Whoa! Rudi, thanks for those links, great reference on weathering the interceptor, almost better than watching the movie
That guys work is awesome!

Cheers
Greg
Tarok
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Auto Modeler: 97 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 12:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Whoa! Rudi, thanks for those links, great reference on weathering the interceptor, almost better than watching the movie
That guys work is awesome!

Cheers
Greg

Happy to assist in supplying inspiration. You should check out the SBS's in Ian's discussion group there - not to mention some of the other masters like Bob Letterman
jonnysocko
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 192 posts
Auto Modeler: 4 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 03:16 AM UTC
Hi Greg,

That's a cool build and great subject. Don't forget the bomb he had under the back by the gas tank!
Jmarles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Auto Modeler: 16 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 03:43 PM UTC
Old thread I know, but just found a Road Warrior Falcon at the Hobby Search website!
 _GOTOTOP