_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Revell BMW Sauber F1.06
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
Auto Modeler: 34 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 05:41 PM UTC
Just finished my first automotive built for a long time, a far cry from when F1 cars were my number one modelling subject choice. Strangely i've never seen this kit on a Hobby Store shelf in Australia. I bought mine from a little toy shop in Duesseldorf, Germany.

Anyway the Revell kit turned out to be one of the bigger challenges i've dealt with for some time as well! Confirming my views that automotive subjects (and open wheel racers in particular) are still the most challenging branch of the hobby (and i build everything, so i'm not just guessing here).

The kits outstanding feature are the decals. The best i've ever used from a model kit, well they are Cartograph after all. Most amazing of all were the carbon decals for the suspension arms that have built in chrome for the exhaust heat protectors. Aftermarket decal sheets alone, like what is supplied in this kit from Cartograph, when bought from Studio 27 cost about the same as this Revell kit costs.
The kit also fits together quite well too.

The worst feature are the wheels and tyres, an important part for the look of an F1 car. And it's really only curbside, unlike the 1/20 Tamiya F1 kits (which are still better). But if you want this subject like i did, then this is the only option other than paying around $200 for a Japanese Studio 27 resin/metal kit. Personally i prefer this $30 version!

I was too lazy to replace the grossly oversized antennas, something that any more dedicated modeller than myself would obviously do. And i made one mistake with front wing endplates...i forgot to do the inside faces as carbon fibre and only realised after i finished it! Idiot. But overall it was a good break from my more usual aircraft subjects that tend to be doing these days.

Andrew
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2009 - 05:09 AM UTC
Very nice...revell does make some nice kits....some.
About those thick antennas...aren't those the rubber duck antennas?
I've never built and indy car...I may have to try one some day but I think I'd rather do one of the old ones, the old cigar shaped body types.
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 04:52 AM UTC
Excellent build Andrew. Paintjob looks a killer.
 _GOTOTOP