Scale truck modeling topics.
I am looking for help deciding...
MacTrucks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 285 posts
Auto Modeler: 47 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 10:09 AM UTC
Okay, I started way too many projects without finishing one of them. I now have the time, space, and energy to start getting something done. The problem is deciding where to start. Looking to you guys for inspiration. Projects range from close to complete to very rough. I'll take suggestions via replies to this posting over the next week and try to make it a build log to completion.

1. MPC DM800 converted to DM600 steel hood with Italeri BRO wrecker body and Italeri crane. Features scratchbuilt hood and front bumper and opened compartments on wrecker.
[/url]

2. Ertl reissued of Kenworth Aerodyne COE converted to BJ & the Bear kit. Box stock except for shortened frame, opend drivers door, and JBOT decals.

3. Revell of Germany W900 built as the truck from Movin On. Pretty much box stock with JBOT decals.

4. Italeri Western Star, box stock. Rebuild of a kit that fell into disarray. I want to add scratchbuilt aluminum stacks and sleeper from the Ford 9000 LTL kit, This was the source of the BRO wrecker.

5. AMT built-up Peterbilt 352 converted to a day cab featuring open drivers side door and box stock AMT Sunoco trailer.

6. Frank Gortesma Diamond T T1000 COE kit mated to AMT Chevy Astro frame. I opened up the grille bars, but am struggling with crisp badging for this one.

7. Built-up of AMT A64A that I am converting to the older style grille found on the Autocar Drivers Cab. Features scratchbuilt grille (done) and fenders. The Michigan dumps are converted from the AMT Fruehaufs and intended to be more period. The dump trailers are nearly finished and inspired the tractor.

Removed by original poster on 10/11/09 - 23:11:06 (GMT).
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 12:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

CALLSIGN: MacTrucks

1. MPC DM800 converted to DM600 steel hood with Italeri BRO wrecker body and Italeri crane. Features scratchbuilt hood and front bumper and opened compartments on wrecker.

2. Ertl reissued of Kenworth Aerodyne COE converted to BJ & the Bear kit. Box stock except for shortened frame, opend drivers door, and JBOT decals.

3. Revell of Germany W900 built as the truck from Movin On. Pretty much box stock with JBOT decals.

4. Italeri Western Star, box stock. Rebuild of a kit that fell into disarray. I want to add scratchbuilt aluminum stacks and sleeper from the Ford 9000 LTL kit, This was the source of the BRO wrecker.

5. AMT built-up Peterbilt 352 converted to a day cab featuring open drivers side door and box stock AMT Sunoco trailer.

6. Frank Gortesma Diamond T T1000 COE kit mated to AMT Chevy Astro frame. I opened up the grille bars, but am struggling with crisp badging for this one.

7. Built-up of AMT A64A that I am converting to the older style grille found on the Autocar Drivers Cab. Features scratchbuilt grille (done) and fenders. The Michigan dumps are converted from the AMT Fruehaufs and intended to be more period. The dump trailers are nearly finished and inspired the tractor.

I suggest number 7 or number 1 as a secondary

jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 02:20 PM UTC
They're all really cool projects, so I see your dilema. If it were me, I'd say #3 or #7. But like I said, they're all really cool projects.

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 04:39 PM UTC
I'm gonna be the oddball and say do the T-1000!{#6...and the lil army guys told me to say it!}
I've been wanting that kit from dave natale for a while but haven't ponied up for it yet, so I gotta see someone do one...
BigfootV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,624 posts
Auto Modeler: 216 posts
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 - 01:48 PM UTC
Hey Kent,
I'll take the KW Aerodyne Cab off your hands for my Pete 359 build. Sleeper.
Anyways, Hard to say. Your like I am, can't make up your mind. Hell, kit bash.

MacTrucks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 03:23 PM UTC
A photo of the trailers for #7 the Autocar. The model is inspired by a photo of a truck I found. That one wasn't a tractor, but I really liked the style and details.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2009 - 03:39 AM UTC
Go here for a good shot of the early "Diamond T" badge{pre Rio}...enlarge the pic and print or save...try and make a decal in black and white for the COE of yours.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Diamond-T-1966-Trend-HF-3000-Sales-Brochure_W0QQitemZ380108484348QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item58803b2efc
I always keep ebay truck liturature on faves for finding oem paint schemes, plumbing, and just about anything else...still have an old euclid scraper to build off of the multi views I found long ago....found alot of dodge coe and bighorn info there as well. Thought I'd pass it along-
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2009 - 03:50 AM UTC
Lots of good stuff there!

I'd say keep it simple at first, so either #2 (KW) or #3 (W900) get my vote. The Movin' On rig looks the most finished anyways, so...

-YL
MacTrucks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 05:07 PM UTC
Bob, I do have some photos and thought about making my own badges from them. The Gortesma kit did come with the badges molded on, but the detail was too soft for my liking. Now I'm committed to something else. I used to download alot of brochures off ebay. Bought a few too.

It looks like a tie between #3 and #7, which is fine. I can bounce back and forth between the two a bit. Thanks guys.

old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2009 - 02:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bob, I do have some photos and thought about making my own badges from them. The Gortesma kit did come with the badges molded on, but the detail was too soft for my liking. Now I'm committed to something else. I used to download alot of brochures off ebay. Bought a few too.

It looks like a tie between #3 and #7, which is fine. I can bounce back and forth between the two a bit. Thanks guys.

Yeah, I buy them too from time to time for dedicated truck kits that I have{I'm not that cheap}.
As for the molded on badging...could you scribe it in better? Sometimes alittle cleanup is all that's needed. If not, mess around in MS paint or a photoshop program and scale up a few and print them out on decal paper.
You pick a build yet?.......I have my dodge L700 stakebed to button up{she needs some stake couplings and a rear window - 3 window}, and a mack wrecker to get back on the table - mostly done as far as the cab and chassis but I've got all the boom hardware, brackets and pulleys to do yet. That's a time killer right there!

BTW, not to be nosey, but is that the shorty fins of a '61 ford I spy in the pic behind the movin on truck?{I owned a '62 galaxie}
MacTrucks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2009 - 12:34 PM UTC
Pretty good eye, Bob. It happens to be a '63 Ford Fairlane 500 4-door sedan you seen in the photo behind the Movin' On truck. My dad, now retired, bought it to replace the 2-door he sold way back when he decided to become an honest family man. The car is in excellent shape and he'd done some work to it. It happens to be another project I have started. Kitbashing a Revell '64 T-bolt to a '63 promo. Except for the interior the bulk of the hard work is done. A bit off topic and subject for another build log when I get back to it.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 02:07 AM UTC
Hey kent, I was going thru some Truck model world mags last night and found something of possible interest to you. They showed a diamond reo raider built up and the guy who built her got some PE badges for his...the pe was made by "gunther wagner"...no given addy or email though. I found this in the Oct 2009 issue #154{page 14}. Maybe an email to truck model world could give you the needed contact info for a set of diamond T badges from this gentleman...if he could make the reos, I'm sure he could make the T's...
MacTrucks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 02:57 PM UTC
I think I have some PE badges by Gunther Wagner. He really doesn't sell stuff, but I managed to get a few pieces from a friend in Europe. I was hoping he would do Diamond T items.

Maybe I should try my hand at do it yourself PE.
 _GOTOTOP