Scale truck modeling topics.
AMT freightliner dual drive kits are shipping
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2009 - 03:59 AM UTC
This is a heads up for you gents that the AMT dual drive kits are shipping per my pre order on ebay. I got mine for $29.99 with $5.95 S/H and was told I could add another kit for free shipping...so I did.
Now to somewhat patiently wait for the logging trailer.....
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2009 - 06:02 AM UTC
Good news for all you COE fans ot there. Are you going to be getting the White-Freightliner photo etch set from Harold?

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2009 - 03:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

White-Freightliner photo etch set from Harold? Jim

PE?!...and who's harold?
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 06:51 AM UTC
His name is Harald Weber from Hamburg, Germany. He makes a Pe set for the AMT White-Ferightliner: Here are a couple of shots:
White Freightliner PE Fret #1
White-Freightliner PE Fret Close Up
Dash Fans
General Truck Parts

He also makes one for the AMT Ford C-800:
Ford C-800 PE Set

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 07:07 AM UTC
That's cool...how much and where do we sign up at?
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 09:53 AM UTC
How much? Couldn't tell you. Your best bet would be to email him at [email protected].

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 02:27 PM UTC
My two kits are shipping todayper paypal!...as my son would say, "goodies goodies goodies!"

OK AMT..make the K-123 for the next batch please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 02:52 PM UTC
Rumor has it that the next batch will include the Ford C800 Stake truck, White Road Boss, & the Fruehauf van trailer.

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 - 10:41 AM UTC
A WRB would be nice...I got the others.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 - 01:39 PM UTC
The Road Boss would be nice. I'd like to convert one to a White 9000. I think they used the same cab. I have the C800 as well, but I need the trailer (eventually) for the Red River Shipping trailer for the Blue Mule.

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 03:25 AM UTC
Just grabbed the newspaper this morning and low and behold what's this...package on my bench. The freightliners arrived! Somehow I missed that arriving yesterday..I grabbed the mail and it wasn't there yesterday...!?
I'm quickly reminded, upon opening the box, that the cab has issues with that dang 3 piece set up of AMT's{the single cab kit is the same way} - other than that it looks good..nice decal sheet with extra stripes!
AMT didn't do the pete 352 or the K-123 as multiple piece cabs...I'm sure there's a reason though...
At $29.99 this is a good deal since I've been wanting one{or more} for years but wasn't going to pay the ebay prices! Gettem now while you can because I'm sure people will hoard them and the prices will skyrocket again.
I'll someday build my single and dual drive kits...but I want to add another section for a dual depth sleeper.....anyone that doesn't want they're extra sleeper section...let's talk!
MacTrucks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 285 posts
Auto Modeler: 47 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 05:15 AM UTC
Bob, at the iHobby show yesterday they had a label on the Freightliner DD packaging that listed an expanded decal sheet and some other features added to the reissue. Can you confirm any of that?
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 05:26 AM UTC
What do you mean by "three piece cab"? Is it set up to make it a day cab as an option? You know, main cab, sleeper section, back wall.

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 10:42 AM UTC
I've never had the origonal kit, so I can't comment on the "added" extras, but the box states it has expanded decals...two sets of stripes are included and it's a decent sized sheet full of stuff including freightliner badges.

Jim, let me dig out the sigle drive kit I have and compare cab pieces...that kit is a daycab.
MacTrucks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 11:30 AM UTC
The single drive day cab and dual drive sleeper cap share the same sections. The day cab front and sleeper cab front are the same. It was basically an attempt by AMT to get variations from the tooling. I have a DD kit, but am missing the cab section for the sleeper.

Also, if I recall right the rear section of the SD cab has a rear window opening. The DD rear panel, being for a sleeper cab, does not.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 01:42 PM UTC
Ok, I pulled out the old single drive kit and the new dual drive kit, tossed the cab pieces up and snapped pics...decals too.
Both cabs side by side, fronts are identical between the two kits, but thats where it ends.

The back pieces are the same size, but, there's a tiny bit of detail differences between the two plus the windows{or lack there of}...middle pieces are different of course.

The decals have 3{my mistake} stripes on there{white on top} as well as added goodies - not bad!
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 01:47 PM UTC
I should add this for those who don't have a kit...that back piece{windows or not} goes "into"what I call the middle piece. The day cab on the left has that section included too- it's not a sleeper though, just added room to stretch out in.
Now the RH cab has the longer section that is the sleeper.

Ya know...looking at both distructions{single compared to dual}, I really don't see anything added..maybe its just me...do please keep in mind that I don't have an earier version of the dual drive, so I have no fair comparison but the single drive kit.
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Auto Modeler: 95 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 03:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gettem now while you can because I'm sure people will hoard them and the prices will skyrocket again.

I don't think you will see this or any of the Round 2 kits go out of stock for quite some time....

When they first started out, they under estimated productions number that they thought they needed. When items ran out, they went back and did a 2nd run. So I don't think there is any fear of these going out of stock any time soon.
MacTrucks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 03:31 PM UTC
Unlike Ertl who was rumored to be overly concerned about secondary market value, thus reissued selected kits on a very limited basis or not at all to keep collector value high, Round 2 is focused on making money selling kits. You aren't going to see limited reissues of kits keeping prices high. The Mack R for example sold out at my local hobby shop quickly at $50 each. Withing a few months you had to pay $60 for a reissue.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 01:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't think you will see this or any of the Round 2 kits go out of stock for quite some time....

When they first started out, they under estimated productions number that they thought they needed. When items ran out, they went back and did a 2nd run. So I don't think there is any fear of these going out of stock any time soon.

I'd figure it to be that way, but I know some folks who are buying them just to stash.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 02:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Unlike Ertl who was rumored to be overly concerned about secondary market value, thus reissued selected kits on a very limited basis or not at all to keep collector value high, Round 2 is focused on making money selling kits. You aren't going to see limited reissues of kits keeping prices high. The Mack R for example sold out at my local hobby shop quickly at $50 each. Withing a few months you had to pay $60 for a reissue.

Yeah, another one I wanted for years was the actual R {red truck on the box}...caught people sleeping on ebay twice and got 2 for $50 - $60...this was not too long ago when they were hovering around the hundred plus mark like the dual drives are{old ones}.
I really hope AMT brings out everything, truck wise...and others too...at reasonable prices for everyone. Kits are meant to be built!
 _GOTOTOP