Scale truck modeling topics.
Autocar Build.
MacTrucks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 285 posts
Auto Modeler: 47 posts
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 - 06:25 PM UTC
Joining the build (or rebuild already in progress.....

The model is from a pair of built-up Autocar DC9964B kits that I've already disassembled. The price was very good, but it will take quite a bit of spare parts to complete as they were both derelicts when I acquired them.

Even stripped of at least two coats of paint with body work the better of th two cabs still shows the scars of past gluing.

My conversion will back date the grille to the original 1950's style with custom pit style fenders. I've also modified the bumper. with a simple extension.

I was thinking of replacing the interior bucket with scratchbuilt pieces.

Close up of the grille. Thanks to Evergreen 1/2 round for the "bars and trim around the opening.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 01:56 AM UTC
Nice job! This should be interesting. Are you thinking dump, tractor, mixer?

Jim
MacTrucks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 12:12 PM UTC
Jim,

A tractor for a dump trailer. I was inspired by Ron Adams' book "Big Rigs of the 1950's". It has an Autocar dump like this, but with 1966 plates on it. The truck in the photo is a dump truck pulling a dump trailer. I liked the photo because it was unique and I liked the personalization of the truck, including the signwriting on it. When I started this I had just finished a Ford dump truck and scratchbuilt another dump body for a friend. At the same time I had two dump trailers that I had altered to Michigan double but didn't have a suitable tractor for them. Everything just fell into place.

No progress to post today since I was in Chicago yesterday and checked messages before sitting down this evening.
MacTrucks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, November 02, 2009 - 04:49 PM UTC
A brief update... The chassis is progressing slower than hoped. I'm sticking with parts box and salvaged parts so there is some extra clean-up. On one hand satisfying to know that I've saved $25 or $35 off a limited reissue kit and saved it from the landfill. But as a whole, there is not net time savings.

I've cut apart the front axle to have possable steering. Due to voids in the original axle its necessary to replace everything except the beam itself. The walking beam rear also had brass rod installed instead of just awkwardly gluing the axles to the beam. I've also started putting the Cummins back together. It will not be turbocharged, but I otherwise don't plan to spend time back dating it.

Finally, with the improvements to the hood and replacing the cab bucket, I also took the time to cleanup the kit windshield for more scale appearance with no distortion. That alone took an afternoon of football to carefully file and sand to even out the surfaces. If you look at the photo, I've place a pretty much as kitted windshield on the left and the reworked windshield on the right. The rear window opening on the left is heavily distorted when viewed through the "glass". The improved window does not distort the view through it. Technically I left the extra hump at the center. It wasn't as noticable and allows me to still easily secure the windshield. You could remove it as well. It could also bear to use a little more sanding to really smooth out the scratches, but I just guess I'm good with it as-is for now.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 01:24 AM UTC
I like your modifications to the windshield. Good work.

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 10:17 AM UTC
Hey kent, any progress as of lately?
Might I invite you to take this to a campaign of a semi truck related nature{mine!}...you could button her up there and we'd love to have yah! Just a thought...
MacTrucks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2010 - 02:43 PM UTC
Wow, I'm not one to rummage up old threads, but at least this one is relatively recent.

When March rolled around my whole life kind of went on hold. The late spring/early summer keeps me really busy with two girls playing softball and my oldest running track. Not to mention a very inventive younger son who needs some quality time too. So the models have been collecting dust. I think you'll be seeing more of me again.
 _GOTOTOP