Scale truck modeling topics.
Trying again - old round front trailers
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 03:54 AM UTC
Once again I'm making the rounds on ebay motr's truck literature section and asking if anyone has multi views or specs for any of the '40s/'50s round front trailers....haven't had much luck since most of them have drawn pics in the flyers and seldom add specs let alone line drawings to scale up with....as always though , if ya don't try, ya don't know...I'm crossing my fingers again.
In the mean time, anyone here have anything we can go on..or me!
MacTrucks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 285 posts
Auto Modeler: 47 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 05:13 AM UTC
I can see if I have anything. I do have the 1/25 Ertl diecast Great Dane trailer. At the very least it "feels" right, but is a short single axle trailer with the rounded front and art deco styling touches.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 05:24 AM UTC
Interesting idea. What are you going to use to pull it?

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 10:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I can see if I have anything. I do have the 1/25 Ertl diecast Great Dane trailer. At the very least it "feels" right, but is a short single axle trailer with the rounded front and art deco styling touches.

That's one of the ones I've wanted to do...that or a fruehauf...anything of that vintage that was rounded and/or crest trimmed.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 10:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Interesting idea. What are you going to use to pull it?

Jim

For the moment all I have done is the '50's pete needlenose single drive, but I still have the old late '40's ford and '50's and '60's chevys that I need to finish...got 3 italeria opal kits for the drive trains per modelhaus' instuctions.
MacTrucks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 285 posts
Auto Modeler: 47 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 12:25 PM UTC
Bob,

I have a 1941 Freuhauf brochure that I downloaded from ebay. No multiviews though, probably the same that you have. It shows 12 different trailers, vans, reefers, tankers, etc..

Kent
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 01:21 PM UTC
I don't have any trailer info...have afew trucks, but no trailers.
Does yours have any specs? Line drawings was just something they really didn't do back then I guess...it'd be rare since I haven't seen one yet.

I got shot down sorta from the guy on ebay..he replied back with, "I can't really help you unless you give me a specific trailer manufacturer or year"...I asked him for "any" brochures that were round front trailers that had line drawings or good specs{length/width/height}.
BigfootV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,624 posts
Auto Modeler: 216 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 05:46 PM UTC
Hey Bob,
I'm going to see if I can't get you started with the measurements. Most trailer's from that time were around 25 ft. long single axle, somewhere 28 ft. 32 ft., depending on what side of the country you were on. Height would have been around 12' 4". Again depending on which coast you were on. Width was between 84" to 96".
You have to remember that the main areas for meat packers and grocery warehouses were right downtown, narrow streets, and I still go to this places some 50 yrs. later.
Philly, Hunt's Point, N.J., Chicago, Seattle, L.A., NYC, Boston, all of this cities still boost narrow street today. Getting a 48 ft. or a 53 ft. in some of these cities challenges even the best driver's.
Anyways, Hope this helps out or at least points you in the general direction of where you need to go.

Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Auto Modeler: 203 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 07:46 PM UTC
Posted a few photos in my gallery of some old time trailers.
Old Time Trailers

If you have the tractors' wheelbase, you should be able to figure out the trailers dimensions accordingly.
Well, in theory you should be able to do it.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 02:35 PM UTC
That's it dave - thank you!!!!!! She's a Fruehauf! I bought some O scale CB&Q decals from microscale{they didn't have G scale ones} in the hopes to blow them up and use on a 1/25 scale truck trailer...got the decals, but then found out the trailer was going to be the hard part since I didn't know what trailer was shown with the decals on{line drawing - wait for it!}...I emailed microscale to get a copy of said trailer line drawing and they replied back that it was a "generic drawing, not to scale with anything...just used to show rough placement on "any" given trailer"...this led me to my hunt for accurate line drawings for a round front trailer, which turns out to be a fruehauf{it matches the line drawing they show the decals on}. I honestly didn't think it would be so hard to gain line drawings of the old trailers seeing as the trucks were easy enough...sorta. Guess the folks out there never cared for saving them since the trucks got top billing - interest wise.
They came two ways -smooth or ribbed....{gotta remember this is a family site}..."trailers!"
Anyway, the problem with that era of sales brochures is that alot of things were artist's renditions and also lacked specs let alone line drawings.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 02:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Bob,
I'm going to see if I can't get you started with the measurements. Most trailer's from that time were around 25 ft. long single axle, some where 28 ft. 32 ft., depending on what side of the country you were on. Height would have been around 12' 4". Again depending on which coast you were on. Width was between 84" to 96".
Anyways, Hope this helps out or at least points you in the general direction of where you need to go.

Cool, thank you.
 _GOTOTOP