Scale truck modeling topics.
crew cab dually's???
pastafarian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 207 posts
Auto Modeler: 66 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 07:32 AM UTC
Anyone make a crew cab dually? The other day I saw a custom dually someone had stretched a bit to make it a 6 door instead of 4 door. Looked cool and figured it would be fairly easy to copy with a crew cab. Do any of these exist in 1/24or25th, or do I have even more work for one of the older monogram standard cabs on ebay?

Thanks,
John
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 04:03 AM UTC
John,

The only plastic model kit that I know of that is somewhat available is Monogram's F-350 "Duallie" pickup. It is not a crew cab, but an extended cab, so you would have your work cut out for you making it into a 6-door. AMT also kitted a Chevy C-series dually pickup back in the early-to-mid 90's under their Snap-Fast Plus line, but like the Monogram Ford, those kits were extended cab pickups, not crew cabs. They are also hard to find today, but I have come across one or two on eBay. If you're lucky enough get one, you could use it as a basis for your conversion.

If you move into diescasts, your luck is a bit better. Back in the mid-90's, Racing Collectables had a series of NASCAR-themed pickups and IIRC, they produced a Ford Crew Cab Dually as part of the line (a Texaco-Havoline truck springs to mind). There may have been other trucks available, but as I'm not a diecast collector - and my brain is developing an annoying tendency to forget details - I'm afraid I can't be more help. I'm sure that these trucks are OOP, so finding them may be a chore. I do know that Spec Cast has an F-350 Dually extended cab diecast that's currently available, but it comes equipped with a flatbed, so it's close...but no cigar.

If anyone else has any dually - or crew cab - kit info to add, please share!

I would say between a few Google searches and eBay, you might turn up something worthwhile for your project.

HTH.

-YL

EDIT: Ok, I had to do a quick search myself.

The Spec Cast truck is on eBay here.

The AMT Chevy is there too, but in Street Machine packaging. You can find it here and again here.

And believe it or not, the Texaco Havoline crew cab is also on eBay here! Score one for my fleeting memory.
pastafarian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 207 posts
Auto Modeler: 66 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 07:14 AM UTC
Thanks, that does help. Sounds like a pretty big kitbash. I've seen a regular side crew cab somewhere so I guess I'll just combine one of those with a dually (or even try scratching the fenders themselves).

If I can find a crew cab, I'm going to try Gino's vac form machine and see if I get get the contours of the doors and roof to use as the extension. Might just have to pick up 2 kits after all.

Thanks,
John
 _GOTOTOP