Scale truck modeling topics.
Gotta do this euro truck!
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2009 - 04:59 PM UTC
Just came from KFS...still no direct website pay or paypal accepted..but the man seems to make up for with his work. The new TQ 93 DAF XT resin cab kit nose....maaaaaan I thought the Skania longline looked sweet, not anymore! $28.00 GBP{alittle over $40us I think}
Let's see if the link works-

I will possess it!...as soon as it comes out.
Now where's my spare 95XFs...there should be 2 around here somewhere...that's an XF105 cab he's using but the 95 should work too.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 02:15 AM UTC
That is nice! I didn't think DAF made a conventional. is this a "concept truck"? I cannot find any information of a DAF XT anywere. Even on DAF's Website. I think that would look good over here on US highways.

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 04:28 PM UTC
Yep. she's just a concept...but a cool lookin one at that. Chris @ SK is looking into one for me....cool!
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, November 02, 2009 - 04:38 AM UTC
Concept, or not, it's still wicked cool. Maybe it could be built as DAFs US truck much like the Volvo VN series, but I really don't think PACCAR will bring over DAF to compete with Kenworth & Peterbilt though.

Due to the length laws in Europe, this is the only reason I would think DAF would persue a conventional. I know they made conventionals in the past, but now they only make COEs. Yep, the US/Canadian market would just about be the only place for this truck.

Think we could convince DAF to actually build something like this and sell it over here? I've always like the look of the DAF XF series, and Kenworth is now using the XF cab for their K500 COE, but maybe we could start a franchise!

Jim
BigfootV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,624 posts
Auto Modeler: 216 posts
Posted: Monday, November 02, 2009 - 12:33 PM UTC
I don't think you'll be seeing that on US roads anytime soon guys. Reason: Emissions ratings. The Euro guys and us don't exactly see eye to eye on that point. Volvo bought out Mack a few months back btw. Yep, you heard right. So start grabbing all the Mack kits you can lay your hands on cause' they are now history.

R.I.P. Mack.

old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, November 02, 2009 - 03:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't think you'll be seeing that on US roads anytime soon guys. Reason: Emissions ratings. The Euro guys and us don't exactly see eye to eye on that point. Volvo bought out Mack a few months back btw. Yep, you heard right. So start grabbing all the Mack kits you can lay your hands on cause' they are now history.

R.I.P. Mack.

I was under the assumption that they had a controlling interest in Mack already?...or was thjat renault?{now I'm confused}
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 01:54 AM UTC
Still would be cool to see this here on US highways. Hey, it's a concept truck!

As far as Mack goes, AB Volvo has had a controling interest in Mack since 2001 when Volvo bought Renault Véhicules Industriels (Now Renault Trucks) which owned Mack at the time.

Jim
MacTrucks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 285 posts
Auto Modeler: 47 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 03:14 PM UTC
Emission ratings? Really? I seem to recall a series of heated arguments at least five years ago that Euro trucks DID have stricter emissions and North American trucks were playing catch-up.

Honestly, the US trucking industry tends to be stalwarts for "classic" style trucks and buying American. Though that is a conventional truck, it still has a long way to go to win over the hearts of people who still prefer a Pete 379 or Kenworth W900.

Yes, Renault had a controlling interest in Mack for a number of years, before Volvo took them over. Mack being a strong brand with high customer loyalty and a specific market, was not something Volvo wanted to quick to tinker with. But like any brand, the heart of the matter is sales and profitability. In the past Volvo tended to acquire brands that were on a decided decline (White, GMC, etc) probably to save cost and attempt to gain market. But the European trucks just haven't taken over US sales. Much the same as US spec trucks can't beat Aussie spec trucks in Australia. Market demands are just different (for now).

Actually most of the Mack kit reissues have occured after the Volvo take-over. And Volvo hasn't exactly been stingy with Euro truck kits by Italeri.
BigfootV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,624 posts
Auto Modeler: 216 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 04:24 PM UTC
That may be true with the emission Kent, but from what I'm seeing and hearing it's a slow race. CAT is going to stop or has stopped making there motors because of the emission "standards" in place for 2010.
The DD15 Detriot sucks, which I run in the Freightliner and the Cummins motors are having issues also, plus the ULSD fuel adds to the mess because it doesn't have the additives like the old diesel use to, it burns at a higher and hotter temp., which cause the motors life to be shorter.
Avg. oil change dropped from every 50,000 miles in the older motors down to 25,000 miles with the newer motors. MPG has not change either. The DD15 is getting 6.3, which is what a CAT motors gets, when it should be getting 7.5 or higher. Same story for the Cummins.

Anyways, enough rambling.

old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 04:29 AM UTC
Anybody got a spare DAF XF105 grill they don't need?....the standard XF grill just isn't right!
Ya know...my old Euro 8x4 chassis that I never finished could use a cool cab on it{twin steering on it}. I never got too far because splicing two Scania cabs together for added length was difficult due to the design...DAF cabs however are an easy splice for double sleeper length.........Hmmmmmmmmmmmm- DAF longline equivelent but conventional nose! That would be a monster!
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 06:25 AM UTC
Just a taped mock up at the moment- looks like she needs about 2-3 more feet behind the steering wheels for a decent tank on each side as well as enough room to 5th wheel a trailer there.
Thoughts?!

...oh, cool thing - I got the steering to really work!
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Auto Modeler: 522 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 06:50 AM UTC
2-3 more feet behind the steering wheels for a decent tank...............?

Are you going for a 10,000 gallon tank Bob?

The curved part at the top of the cab looks like it may be a woozy to deal with though. I'll have to watch this one pretty close.

Hermon
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2010 - 04:40 AM UTC
Not really, given alittle more room she'd get roughly a 40gal tank per side. Not a whole lot for a long road trip...kinda like a harley with the tiny lil sporster tank on it - you ain't gettin very far!

Looks like I have to get an XF105 now for the grill and headlight wipers for this build...said you could use a regular XF kit, but I highly doubt they ever meant the grill, so anyone who wants to try this resin kit be aware of this and have a 105 kit on the ready for it's grill and headlight wipers...otherwise the rest of the kit can use the regular Xf kit. Actually, the 105 has the high spot lights too if your wanting those, but I've seen 105's without those and I'd like mine without.

DAF's website will accomodate you for the different chassis' spec drawings per which one you'd like to build up.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Auto Modeler: 522 posts
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2010 - 04:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Not really, given alittle more room she'd get roughly a 40gal tank per side. Not a whole lot for a long road trip...kinda like a harley with the tiny lil sporster tank on it - you ain't gettin very far.

No, I meant it as a joke. 2 or 3 more feet on a 1/24 scale truck would make the truck like 4 feet long with huge tank...........ah, never mind.

The mock-up looks good. Is the second steering axle staying put or are you thinking about moving it forward any? Kinda hope you move it forward so I can see what's involved. Easier for me when I tackle my EOD truck.

Hermon
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 12:41 AM UTC
Na...already grabbed a mercedes frame and started redoing it. I'm now going single steering wheels up front with super singles...I'll stash that scania chassis for another day/project. The current chassis needs a 4' extention but I lack the 1/2" C channel to do it at the moment{dang it}. Since the motor is up front and the cab is moved back, I can cut out the kit floor's hump and make it flat all the way back.
28' chassis is the call at the moment, 10.5' of cab and hood with 13.5' of open in back for the 5th wheel and trailer clearance....the hump for the engine ends just before the back of the doors.
Splicing the tops will be a slight challenge and I can't exactly figure that out till I get the sides and back attached. Sides are done now.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 01:47 PM UTC
I'm starting a new "build log" under "DAF XT concept truck"...follow there if you'd like-
 _GOTOTOP