_GOTOBOTTOM
Paint & Finish
For automotive paint and finishing topics.
Accidental Colour
allycat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Auto Modeler: 1 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 12:52 AM UTC
Hi All,
I'm not a 'car' modeller but my son has a 1/24 AMT kit he's building (TFATF 1995 Mitsibushi Eclipse) and asked me if he could use some of my paints and the outcome may be of interest to your branch of our hobby.
Trouble is he can't decide what colour the body should be (He doesn't want to finish it as the box art).
Anyway I wondered what would happen if I mixed Tamiya X-32 Titanium with X-23 Clear Blue and got a metallic blue colour (I kind of thought this would be the case). So then I tried X-32 and X-26 Clear Orange which resulted in a very fine 'pale gold'. If you mix all three paints a metallic green appeares!
I've no Clear Red so I can't experiment with that but by varing paint ratios (and paints, Tamiya do more than one 'silver' type of paint XF-16 for instance), you could get some decent (and cheap) custom finishes.
Someone out there has probable done this before, but I thought I'd share ...Just in case

TTFN
Tom
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 03:52 AM UTC
Sometimes you have to do a custom mix for the color you want. I built a Ryder semi truck but couldn't find the right shade of yellow that I needed, so I mixed one up.
Necessity is the mother of invention!
 _GOTOTOP