_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Chrysler interior tan
long_tom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Auto Modeler: 21 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2009 - 05:44 AM UTC
Though this relates to my Dukes of Hazzard project, I thought this warrants a separate thread. I noticed that the display General Lee car, as well as Chrysler Corporation police cars from that era, have tan interiors. Is there a specific color that is most appropriate? Thanks.
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2009 - 11:02 AM UTC

From the brochures and color charts that I have seen, the tan interior colors used in '69 and '77-'78 are very similar. It's hard to tell exactly due to the limitations of both the printing process and variations in computer monitors, but they look close enough to my eye. I found these two photos via a quick Google search: the 1969 Dodge Charger interior (about 1/3 the way down the page) and the '77 Plymouth Fury interior. Compare for yourself and see.

I haven't done many Mopar tan interiors. On a build a did a few years ago, I decanted some Model Master Light Ivory spray (2909) into a spare bottle, and darkened it with some Military Brown (FS30117) until I got a shade that I liked. More recently, I built a '69 Charger for a friend, and I settled on using Tamiya's Light Sand spray (TS-46) right from the can, shot over grey primer; it's a close match and has a nice, eggshell sheen that replicates the look of clean vinyl. An added plus? I'm lazy, and I didn't have to clean my airbrush afterwards.

I'm sure with a little searching, you might find a good out-of-the-bottle color in any one of the many paint lines available today.

HTH.

-YL
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2009 - 03:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Though this relates to my Dukes of Hazzard project, I thought this warrants a separate thread. I noticed that the display General Lee car, as well as Chrysler Corporation police cars from that era, have tan interiors. Is there a specific color that is most appropriate? Thanks.

"Ugly tan" was the color...had it in my old '80 aspen{x squad car}, my friend's '86 GLH turbo, my '71 and '70 darts and my '72 newport. Ma mopar liked that color but it's never been one of my faves...model master "tan" # 4697 hits pretty close if not just a tad too dark. Those interiors were a slightly orangey tan...very slightly.
 _GOTOTOP