Pre-Chromed Parts
Northwestern
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 349 posts
Auto Modeler: 7 posts
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2009 - 06:56 PM UTC
Got a question for you motorcycle guys

I got my first motorcycle kit, a Suzuki Hayabusa and I want to know how to remove the chrome from a few of the plastic trees

I have heard that soaking it in club soda works, but I don't see how

Anyone know any tricks?
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Auto Modeler: 256 posts
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2009 - 07:46 PM UTC
Hey Chandler,
The best AND safest way to remove chrome and paint it to use “Simple Green”, “Castrol Super Clean” or “Purple Power”. These products can be found at most auto supply stores either in a pump bottle or 1gal. Jug. Just soak the parts in a glass bowl making sure they are submerged down into the liquid. Just add a weight on top of the parts. In 30 to 60 minutes the chrome will dissolve, from there just wash in warm water and use a old tooth brush to get into any nooks and cranny’s. These products are also soap based so no additional soap is needed.

Others may suggest using oven cleaner or bleach which is dangerous!

These products also work removing old paint jobs, I removed paint from old model cars that were built 10 years ago. I tested out on acrylics, enamels and oils.

If I may suggest…the Simple Green works the best and has a minty smell.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
Modelbouwerke
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 794 posts
Auto Modeler: 179 posts
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2009 - 10:13 PM UTC
You can also use furnacecleaner (ovencleaner, don't know the correct one) ore anything with bleache in it. It's not dangerous at all, we use it al the time. In a well ventilated area ofcourse.
Just test it on a litlle piece of spreu.
Takes about 15 minutes to clean.

Erikssson.
Fazer1006
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 234 posts
Auto Modeler: 19 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 12:38 AM UTC
Hi Chandler,
Of all the methods I have tried to remove chrome from plastic sprues is good old household bleach. The type we have in Blighty is 'Domestos' which is thick & dissolves chrome coating as fast as you can look at it.
It has the benifit of also cleaning the plastic ready to paint in the coating of your choice. Try it out on a bit of scrap chrome sprue first, but I think you will find it a good method.
Regards
Mark
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 05:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

mother
Hey Chandler,
The best AND safest way to remove chrome and paint it to use “Simple Green”, “Castrol Super Clean” or “Purple Power”. These products can be found at most auto supply stores either in a pump bottle or 1gal. Jug. Just soak the parts in a glass bowl making sure they are submerged down into the liquid. Just add a weight on top of the parts. In 30 to 60 minutes the chrome will dissolve, from there just wash in warm water and use a old tooth brush to get into any nooks and cranny’s. These products are also soap based so no additional soap is needed.

Others may suggest using oven cleaner or bleach which is dangerous!

These products also work removing old paint jobs, I removed paint from old model cars that were built 10 years ago. I tested out on acrylics, enamels and oils.

If I may suggest…the Simple Green works the best and has a minty smell.

Happy Modeling,
Joe

Joe, do these products also remove the clear varnish under the chrome but on the surface of the part. This is what I can't get off and is what softens the details of some parts. I use the oven cleaner method but the brand I use does not remove the varnish

old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 03:04 PM UTC
What Joe said...a fresh pour of purple power in a small container and the chrome tossed in...give it 15min and it should be gone! Use an old toothbrush to remove anything left in the nooks and crannies. I have had chrome that needed to saok overnight to be removed once, but the purple power cleaner was heavily used...I do pour it back into the container to reuse later...lasts longer that way.
 _GOTOTOP