Scale truck modeling topics.
Your thoughts please on a logging truck-
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 04:12 AM UTC
I bought two logging trailers with the intent of building one very soon, but as anyone who's seen the kit knows, you have to dedicate a rig to it since it's not the usual fifth wheel set up. I ruled out COE's with or even without sleepers and ruled out the usual KW's and Petes...I wanted something different.
I have the Autocar kit and 3 Diamond reos, so the Diamonds seem the way to go. I researched Diamond setback axle rigs for the extra weight comfiguration with that axle set up yields{needs the axle and fenders moved back 18"} and found something that'll work including pit fenders for it too...but I'm looking to you folks for additional input for ideas for a tradtional semi for this build. The Autocar kit is kinda stashed for the new resin sleeper cab that's out, but if I aquire another kit this would be a possible logger too I guess.
Thoughts? -
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 06:20 AM UTC
If it were me, I'd go with the Diamond Reo. I like the pit fender idea with the SBFA.

I know I'm boring, but I'm using a Kenworth W923 rebuilder for my logger.

Jim
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Auto Modeler: 95 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 07:23 AM UTC
I have an AMT Paystar 5000 I am using for mine.

While it is unlikely to see a rig with a sleeper on it hauling wood....it isn't out of the realm of possibility, if I guys owns a sleeper cab truck and can't get regular long haul work....he might supplement his income with some log hauling....however it would probably be a rare site.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 03:13 PM UTC
Jim, its not that it's "boring"...I just wanted to be different. Do a search on logging trucks and you'll find most were petes and kens..not too many macks from what I saw for available pics...and you know there had to be some!
Lately I'm liking bing.com for the searches...seems to bring out more stuff than good ol google does.

Scott, that's a good one...I never thought of that and I have a few kits of the mixers and dumps too. Post pics of her when she's done...I'd like to see that rig{kit has the right tires for it!}.

Thanks for the input guys...just in case the reo should be the choice, I've already taken the hood and filled the fender holes and drew up the needed pit fender plans for the diamond plate........just in case.
Oh, for those of you interested in doing a SBFA diamond reo, the literature says it's 18" back and you'll have to relocate the battery box and air tank step behind the fuel tanks instead of in front like the kit wants you to. Add a longer steering link and viola...well, rework the hood and relocate the fenders too-
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 11:14 AM UTC
If I remember correcly, both Peterbilt & Kenworth started out (back in the early 1900s) as trucks for the logging industry. Guess that's why you see so many Petes & KWs as loggers. Oh, that and Kenworth is in Washingon state!

If you don't want to use the Daimond Reo, I suppose you could use the International 4300.

Jim
horsegunner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 347 posts
Auto Modeler: 55 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 01:19 PM UTC
Up here in Canada, they used a lot of PACIFIC and HAYES tractors. The PACIFIC's could be made using IH kits, and the HAYES could be built using MACK kits.
Just google PACIFIC trucks, and HAYES trucks.

Art
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 02:24 PM UTC
There were some Pacific conversions around, but they are hard to come by now. Sourkraut did offer a Pacific P-10, but l don't know if it's still available.

AITM offers a Hayes Clipper 200. Maybe the COE will be available soon.

Also, Illini Replicas offers a 1960 Hendrickson R Model

Jim
BigfootV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,624 posts
Auto Modeler: 216 posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 06:34 PM UTC
Try doing an older Western Star, Bob. Might be fun.

old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 10:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Try doing an older Western Star, Bob. Might be fun.

Would that I could...there's one of the few that I don't have in the stash!
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 11:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If I remember correcly, both Peterbilt & Kenworth started out (back in the early 1900s) as trucks for the logging industry. Guess that's why you see so many Petes & KWs as loggers. Oh, that and Kenworth is in Washingon state!

If you don't want to use the Daimond Reo, I suppose you could use the International 4300.

Jim

Oh, the Diamond is a shoe in at this point...the frame is built and the hood is fully modded, now for the fenders to be built.....should I diamond plate or use regular sheet stock? I'm thinking diamond plate would be correct.
I need to build the reo since I'm burnt out on azteking and orange peeled paint on the rescue truck...won't even talk about the red baron II!
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 12:39 PM UTC
I'm thinking diamond plate would be the way to go, too. At least for the tops.

Sorry to hear about your Mack orange-peeling. That always sucks. Is Aztecking that complicated? I've never tried it.

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 03:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm thinking diamond plate would be the way to go, too. At least for the tops.

Sorry to hear about your Mack orange-peeling. That always sucks. Is Aztecking that complicated? I've never tried it.

Jim

-The mack had a few areas that lifted...she was washed off with soap and water and let to dry...I don''t understand it but it's already taken care of.
-Azteking isn't hard once you set a pattern in your head, for the model...it's the time it takes to brush paint or frequently mask and AB that kills ya! Hmmm, think of it like doing a dazzle pattrern on a battleship.....all of it.
carleton
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 62 posts
Auto Modeler: 39 posts
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 - 01:51 PM UTC
Hi Guys
I see loggers in the shop everyday and they can be all makes and models.I saw a guy using a w900 with air bag suspension and he made money,for one season anyways .Most of the kw's we sell for logging are t800 widehoods(only one headlight on each side is the obvious way to tell em apart).I have seen tons of westernstars hauling logs.I have tons of pics of logging set ups.I would use the checkerplate if I were you.We use magnum stuff for the headache rack and tool boxes and fenders,It is all aluminum checker.We build our own chain racks and fender brackets(most dealers seem to).I also see lots of guys pull off the sleeper and just bolt a plate over the hole for logging season if that helps.Little hint,most loggers have an engine heater,proheat espar or webasto mounted on the framerail now.Very unusual not to see one up here without it.Let me know if you want pics of the mounting.The webasto is checkerplate and the size of a microwave.Hope that helps some,I would love to build a pacific in my opinion all company pride aside .
BigfootV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,624 posts
Auto Modeler: 216 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 12:53 PM UTC
Shawn,
Webastrad, or webasto is a four letter word with this driver, I've seen too many trucks burn to the ground because of those things being installed incorrectly at the factory. The bunk heaters suck. They either work and fry you out of the truck or they don't work at all and you freeze. Biggest piece of junk ever put on a truck. My opinion.

Anyways, Bob, sorry for the runt. I'd put the diamond plate on the rear, behind the cab were the airlines lead into the cab, have d-plate on reinforced fender guards over drives, and a d-plate front bumper. PSP Plate for the running boards for the cab, Bob.
D-plate won't cut it on mud, slip too easy. Trust me.

carleton
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 01:35 PM UTC
Hi Brian,so I cant book you in next week for an install?,kidding, never seen one light up.All our fire claims are blockheater cords or rubbed fuel lines or batt cables(except for the time the guy put the lit torch in the cupholder and smoked the dash,try explaining that one to the poor customer).Let me see if I cant figure out the pic posting as I have some checker plate fender close ups.
carleton
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 01:48 PM UTC
carleton
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 01:59 PM UTC
There is one but it keeps saying duplicate post when I try to add others,so I will keep trying.
carleton
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 02:03 PM UTC
carleton
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 02:24 PM UTC
Hi bob are you going to put a headache rack on the reo?.Might be off topic but what is azteking?thanks,shawn.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 05:20 PM UTC
Brian, I've got some extra don mills d-plate...I'll do the top of the bumper and the tops of the fenders. Afew pics I've seen seem to show the "stepable" surfaces as needing to be covered while the rest are plain sheet stock. I just got a resin autocar front end conversion with pit fenders and they have just the tops d-plated too.
Shawn, nice pics...thanks for sharing. My logger will be an older sort and use the AMT logging truck parts for the tractor including they're headache rack. That's installed earlier tonight as well as the chain tray and extra side steps from the log trailer kit. I need to install extra chain racks too...just gotta figure out what and where.

-Hacked the rear frame angles off behind the last crossmember and added the pintle hook and glads.
-Next things to do is tack the cab and hood in place to locate the front fenders and start the front bumper template...then build both of those and attach. Oh - when I filled the old fender holes in on the hood I changed the hood to a butterfly config with top and side hinges.
- I haven't even thought about frame, cab, or trailer colors yet...I need to do that soon!

*odd notes to add- amt's diamond reo kit's trans locating tabs and holes are Waaaaaay off. I had to cut them both off and center it myself or the trans halves wouldn't line up right!
- amt's logging trailer parts have no part numbers nor sheet to show what's where...luckily it's not rockets science, but look carefully at the part you need and then at the trees. The air filters are not the gladhands!!!
-the logging trailer gives you a chain tray{"jockey box"} to fit between the truck frame rails...cept it won't fit between the reo's rails without taking off some frame rail material. TEST FIT things to your model truck before gluing since frame rail width may differ!
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 05:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

... what is azteking? thanks,shawn.

No problem...that's a star trek model paint job...I build all sorts of things. Look around kitmaker modelgeek section{dinosaurs/sci-fi/railroad} and you'll see some of my handy work. I do like trucks best though....

Hey, that 1st pic you showed...those are tire chains .... right?{remember, I'm from down south!}
carleton
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 06:22 AM UTC
Hi Bob yes those are tire chains.I could have used some yesterday as we got dumped on here.The other common type of hanger is a cut u-bolt.Guys take the steer axle u-bolts and cut them and then weld them u shape down and hang the chains.
 _GOTOTOP