Scale truck modeling topics.
Brockway Super-Liner?
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2009 - 04:52 AM UTC
There's an interesting discussion going on over at the Brockway Trucks Message Board concerning the 1978 Brockway Super-Liner. "A 1978 Brockway? How can this be?", you ask. (Brockway ceased production in 1977, and was closed by their parent company, Mack.) Read on:

Brockway Super-Liner

Rumor has it that Brockway also designed the Cruise-Liner to replace their Series 400 COE, but I have no photos of that. (The Series 400 & Mack F shared the same cab; as did the Series 700 and Mack R.)

Jim
BigfootV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,624 posts
Auto Modeler: 216 posts
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 - 03:56 PM UTC
Hi Jim,
Interesting column and post. I'll have to ask some of the old timers out if that was true or not about that model. Ummmm.

MacTrucks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 285 posts
Auto Modeler: 47 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 04:10 PM UTC
With the Brockways using the same cab as the R series at that point it could be really hard to say which came first. Mack had been increasing the R series hood for some time to accomodate larger radiators and engines that were popular with operators in the western United States. Brockway designers could have queued off that and made their design. But really by 1977 I have to wonder how much "real" Brockway was left. There seems to have been alot of cross pollenation by that time between the two. I'm sure for Brockway enthusiasts this is a viable conspiracy by Mack. Could be a recent photo manipulation of Brockway photos to make it a "Brock" liner too. I can't believe what you can do with photoshop these days.

Either way, it would make for an interesting model.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 - 01:10 AM UTC
I agree, it would make an interesting model. And as a concept truck, you can do quite a bit with it.

It really seems that the Brockway guys are a little sore at Mack. Kind of holding a grudge, even.

Jim
MacTrucks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 285 posts
Auto Modeler: 47 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 06:16 PM UTC
The same feeling Mack guys (like myself) would feel towards Volvo if Mack were to go away. It can become intensely personal. Each person has their own preference of make, model or even engines. CAT or Cummins.....
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2009 - 04:44 AM UTC
Reminds me of the cruisenights I go to...you got your ford guys over there, chevy over that way and us Mopar guys over here. Then there's the new breed of young kids with the jap tuner cars...they usually sit across the street . Everybody likes something!
 _GOTOTOP