Scale truck modeling topics.
Rounding up some parts
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Auto Modeler: 522 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 07:35 AM UTC
Hey guys, I have an upcoming project for the EoD campaign in August. The truck I want to build is based on this:

I'll be using the AMT International Eagle instead of an Autocar but that's not important. The hood and fenders will naturally be scratchbuilt but what I'm looking for is an additional front axle and some steering linkage to make both sets of front tires turn. I've found some great aftermarket resin stuff at places like this:
http://www.aitruckmodels.com/pages/kitsparts.html
They have rear axle kits and anything else a guy could want but no front axles. Anybody now were I can get an extra front axle and possibly the steering linkage?

Thanks,
Hermon
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 07:37 AM UTC
Almost forgot, the REAR axles will be replaced with a tracked set up. I can make the wheels and sprockets myself but I can't find a good source for any 1/24-25 scale tracks. Any ideas?

Hermon
okdoky
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,597 posts
Auto Modeler: 63 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 09:39 AM UTC
Have you tried getting in touch with M&G Mouldings or KFS

http://www.mgmouldings.co.uk/

http://www.kitformservices.com/

One of them should have stuff to suit.

Nige
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 10:54 AM UTC
Chris over at Sourkraut is the only importer of KFS parts in the US. He also imports Auslowe & The Backyard Shed from Australia; and The Model Factory from Germany. You should be able to get a lot of stuff from Chris.

As far as your tracks, you might wan to check withJames Banner over on Armorama. He runs The Large Armory. Then there's Panzer Hobby Art out of Poland.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Jim
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 11:05 AM UTC
Hey thanks for the fast repsponses and links guys. I actually found exactly what I need here
http://sourkrautsmodeltrucks.com/?page_id=3&category=3&product_id=238
and only $12.00. Lots of other resin goodies there also.

Thanks again,
Hermon
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 11:57 AM UTC
Glad to help. Looks like it's going to be an interesting build.

Jim
jakes357
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 254 posts
Auto Modeler: 33 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 05:18 PM UTC
hey,
Maybe the 'Rommels Rod' tracks, the Tamiya 1/25 Tiger(and yes I realize it's hard to come by) or the AMT dozer(1/25). Maybe a toy dozer in a close scale. Just brainstorming some thoughts. Good luck!
Jake
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 04:20 AM UTC
Gotta ask Hermon...why the need for tracks? With big enough tires and high enough suspension...and maybe some chassis articulation, conquering the terrain shouldn't be an issue.

Unless your talkin these puppies-
http://www.mattracks.com
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 05:07 AM UTC
Well I checked out the Rommels Rod but it's tracks pretty much suck. I did find an old Cat dozer kit on Ebay..........the Tamiya Tiger is out, cause I can't plunk down $75.00 for a kit just to use the tracks.

Bob, I just wanted to go with tracks for the look of it. Dual steering front axles.......with big ol' tracks in the back, just doesn't get cooler than that. If I can't figure out a way to scratch some decent tracks I may go with a quad axle set up in the back. Much easier and almost as cool.

Hermon
okdoky
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 05:34 AM UTC
Hermon

If you look up one of Steve's (BARV) posts on his armoured CAT dozer you can see how built his totally from scratch. They looked the dogs bollocks so they did.

Could be just what you are looking for.

Nige
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 05:56 AM UTC
A great idea Nige! Alass.....there are no pic's on the thread. The photobucket account is inactive. I could have really used his expert advice.

Hermon
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 06:19 AM UTC
Look up "sno cats" as in snow vehicles...they use a wide, flotation type track over regular wheels..might be a usuable idea{or crap}.
The link I gave you could be done up for each wheel of your rig, be made from 1/35 scale tank bogies and tracks and yield a cool look too. Make your front axles driven too.
okdoky
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 06:35 AM UTC
Hi Hermon

I noticed that too when I went hunting. Maybe Steve Junior might have access to some of his photos to upload past work.

I did a wee search and found these pics that might be of some use to give you inspiration. The main plate and grip strip are the easy bits. I would thing the only complicated part would be the connection links and pins.

This pics shows the link well.

It might look cool with the raised transmission cogg.

Hope this helps though. All the best

Nige

VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 06:43 AM UTC
Thanks for the help guys. Lot's of different way I can go on this. The flotation type tracks would be the easiest but the cat tracks (with road pads in place of the grouser bars) would be awsome. I could scratch all of it.................my biggest stump right now would be how to maintain the rounded ends while building the actual pads/track links. A jig maybe.....I'll experiment some with it tonight.

Again, thanks for the help guys. Some great ideas.
Hermon
 _GOTOTOP