_GOTOBOTTOM
Trucks
Scale truck modeling topics.
Question re. Italeri "Australian Truck" pls?
Steve_W
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 44 posts
Auto Modeler: 14 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 08:23 PM UTC
Hi Guys,
Firstly, apologies if this is a dumb question but I'm new around here

I was just wondering if the Italeri "Australian Truck" (kit# 0719 http://www.italeri.com/VisualizzaProdotto.aspx?PROD=00132) is actually based on a commercial design/model, and if so, which one?

I've searched here & with Google but haven't found anything yet.

Many thanks!
Steve
grubbyfingers
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 404 posts
Auto Modeler: 60 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 08:36 PM UTC
Hi Steve,

It is based on an actual truck.It's a Western Star conventional cab.

I couldn't tell you anything about the engine, gearbox or chassis origins, but the cab and bonnet are Western Star.

I hope that helps.

Grubby.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 02:53 PM UTC
Grubby , I gotta ask.......why are the aussie trucks running the wire mesh screen in front of the lower part of the windshield?

Steve, Try hankstruckpictures.com there's alot of truck pics there to be seen and I know they have some aussie rigs too.

Hey, a question towards someone in your neck of the woods....who, aside from KFS or M&G carrries the scroll and pinstripe decals that alot of done up euro rigs have? I really like M&G's since they have the multi radius curves that KFS doesn't....I wish someone did up alot of the big name euro tractor/trailer paintschemes in decals{1/24}...a few of us yanks want to do up a few of those colorful rigs and have nowhere to get the decals. I'm on my 2nd DAF kit{1st an XF and now a KFS XT} and really wish anyone stateside had these decals but that ain't gonna happen I guess. Next build is a going to be a Scania I think...maybe a Volvo.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 06:22 PM UTC
G'day Bob,

We have some mad locust plagues here, your screen can go from crystal clear to 5 square metres of goo in half a second. The screen mesh is to keep at least part of the screen "see-thru" for want of a better term !!
You find a lot of cars with fine mesh screens across the front to stop the locusts or grasshoppers from clogging up the radiator fins and overheating the engine as well.

Cheers, D
bpunchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 366 posts
Auto Modeler: 4 posts
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2010 - 12:27 AM UTC
Also the screens are to protect the windscreen from stone chips / broken windscreen from stones flung up from the roads .
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2010 - 10:14 AM UTC
Wow, sorry to hear about that - crossing the bridges here yah get loads of gnats and the like...outside of town near the soy and corn fields it's all sorts of bugs, but nothin like you guys have!
Steve_W
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 44 posts
Auto Modeler: 14 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2010 - 10:33 PM UTC
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the info and apologies for this late reply
Cheers,
Steve
 _GOTOTOP