Scale truck modeling topics.
Truck restoration process- Papa truck hauler
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 06:53 AM UTC
Was at the semi annual model kit show today and this followed me home- 2 semi haulers, with one being the ford car hauler and the other is the papa truck hauler{the main reason for getting the two}. A price was given{$40pr} and an offer was made{$30} and two more walks past the table and it was mine for $30. I passed up an FLD120 for $40 but this was two for one.{yes- I have a budget} I may hate myself later for passing on the FLD but I do have an FLBcoe so I really can't complain...
I'm going to try something new, my own truck restoration...I've done two truck cabs before for a friend..the BJ and the bear truck and the Movin on truck...this one is for me this time. Seeing as this is kind of a trend among modellers and ebay, I'll toss the probably long process on here as a guide for those who wish to follow the trend.
Here's the two heavily dust covered trucks...the KW will get the lion's share of time while the ford will possibly be recabbed.

{yes, I'm going to build a better light booth today...this set up isn't working}
The ford is the worst for wear while the KW is intact with the sole exception of the air intake cap{on the bed there}.

The KW interior is mostly unpainted from the looks of it{we'll fix that!} and I'm struggling to picture the new paintjob in my head right now, but there's alot of stripping to be done before that is a concern.
Just noticed that there's only 1pr of ramps and I'm thinking they go to the ford...anyone have a pic of the papa truck hauler's ramps for my confirmation?
Also, theres two square holes on the outsides of the bed, right in front of the 1st rear axle...anyone know what those are/were for?

...now, where's the pressure washer to clean the years worth of dust off of these?.... then I'll need the sawzal for the removal of pieces...
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 04:17 PM UTC
Maaaan ya gotta love old tube glue...comes off easily {cept the dang windshield}. I'll leave the frame alone for the most part...found out it was missing a fuel tank but since they don't get seen...
I stashed the chrome stuff in a ziplok and will start dipping things tomorrow...remover will be castrol super clean.

...alittle stripping music if you please........
BigfootV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,624 posts
Auto Modeler: 216 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2010 - 02:18 PM UTC
Hey Bob,
Have any close ups of said "holes", I'm curious to see them. From the sound of it they might be access panels for an air jack or for servicing the frame during lube.
As far as the ramps go, you got me. I'm thinking a Hid-a-ramp, where they get stowed in the body just under the drive-up platform on the tail. Could be wrong.....

old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2010 - 02:44 PM UTC
Yes I can sir...a tad blurry I see, but you can see the 2 square holes there.

I think I'll try something for everyone to see...removal of the heavily glued in windshield...you can see the glue blob holding in the center of the shield while the outside edges are loose. I'll use a scriber and/or the back of a blade to cut thru the glue very carefully. Later when/if the windshield comes out{haha} I'll wet sand and then future the glass and it'll be good as new...you'll see!
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2010 - 05:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes I can sir...a tad blurry I see, but you can see the 2 square holes there.

Hey Bob, congrats on the contest win mate. Those square holes may be for chain hold-down points (heavy ring loops), or maybe just for round pegs

Cheers, D
BigfootV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,624 posts
Auto Modeler: 216 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 02:25 AM UTC
Yep, I agree. Tie down points.

VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Auto Modeler: 522 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 10:29 AM UTC
I'm sorry Bob, but I can't follow this resto project. That hidious light/photo booth just gives me a sever headache looking at those wrinkles in the fabric.

Yes, of course I'm watching.

Hermon
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 11:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm sorry Bob, but I can't follow this resto project. That hidious light/photo booth just gives me a sever headache looking at those wrinkles in the fabric.

Yes, of course I'm watching.

Hermon

I already made and am using the "new" light booth...so that won't be a problem pal...
..no work last night...LOST was on - it's the only show I watch.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 11:34 PM UTC
Got the windshield out last night...it took the center of the pillar with it{reattached now}...may have to replace the windshiled with some claer sheet but I won't know till I try and clean it up 1st. Half of the glue popped off while the other half hung on for dear life!

Did web search on the papa truck and found no good reason for the two square holes on the deck...I'll have to try a search for instructions now to see what those were for but the few pics I've seen show nothing there with the race truck on or off........hmmmmm.
 _GOTOTOP