_GOTOBOTTOM
The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Was This Meant For Trucks To or just Cars
straightedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Auto Modeler: 100 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 07:13 AM UTC
This Garage is it considered for the Trucks to or is it an exclusive Automotive Garage to shoot the breeze in about odds and ends.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 08:43 AM UTC
It's for everybody & anybody to hang out & shoot the breeze. If you want to talk trucks we'll see you in the Truck Forum where all are welcome to talk trucks!

Jim
straightedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 10:52 AM UTC
I was just wondering before we took that other fellows project out to where it shouldn't be going he done a real good job on his truck then we were talking about other trucks that wasn't even close to his and I didn't want to hurt his project in anyway.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 11:48 AM UTC
That "other fellow" is me. The project is done, so I say let the thread go where it goes! It's pretty interesting, and I sort of like the tangents it been taking.

Jim
straightedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 10:36 AM UTC
Then did you get that address I tried to give you guys that I found by accident over in U Tube that showed all these different kinds of transmissions they got and they show you how they shift them going down the road, they give you the pick of 13 or a Mack 12 then they showed this guy shifting a double stick I don't know if they had any air 4x4 shifters now they get real confusing when you get tired well I think all of them air shifters get confusing when you are tired to where the manual ones you can look and see where your at but them air ones you got to just guess until you hear the grind then that will tell how far you are off from the right gear.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 12:46 PM UTC
For some reason when I clicked the link YouTube said that the video didn't exist. Not sure what the problem is, though.

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 02:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That "other fellow" is me. The project is done, so I say let the thread go where it goes! It's pretty interesting, and I sort of like the tangents it been taking.

Jim

...they have been known to do that..my threads seem to and that's ok..........

KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 02:07 PM UTC
I thought trucks were automotive too.

"The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics."

jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 02:26 PM UTC
Last time I checked.

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 03:38 PM UTC
...there yah go....
Hey jim...you gonna enter that KW 900 in the truck campaign too?

KSO...you wish to join our convoy in may....the more the merrier...no pressure if you don't!
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 12:37 AM UTC
I might enter the W900, but it's about 50% done. The plan is to enter a Kenworth T600.

Jim
straightedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 02:22 AM UTC
When I typed in my computer to find GMC CRACKER BOX it at first took me to U Tube with all kinds of Cracker boxes with in line 71 series engines in them then V-6 92 series they said they had in them, then it went over to the transmissions and I never done anything, so while it was there I figured I would watch some of them and they sure did bring back some old memories.

Well I'll see if I can find them again and come up with a better address to give to you because I think you would be as impressed as I was with the shifting on them old transmissions.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 06:31 AM UTC
I found this one: Crackerbox. and this one: Crackerbox Finished. But I'm sure there are more. There's just something about the Crackerbox. I don't know what it is, but the GMC Crackerbox & the Dodge L-1000. Nothing fancy; just fleet trucks that work for a living.

Jim
straightedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 06:52 AM UTC
Now I got two ways I been able to get there to this place just in case I make a mistake in the address the first is by using Google as my search engine when I wrote in GMC Cracker Boxes Truck then clicked on search.

Then that brought me up to all them running Cracker boxes with a picture down on the right hand side that has this picture of the old style 13 speed I believe it is the third picture down on the right and it says GMC 9500 shifting 13 speed and if you click on this then it should take you to all of the rest of the other transmissions they have.

Now I been able to come up on this address twice so I must have it right now I hope
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh7GUhWqtbc

Lets see if this works for you like I said this should bring you out with a bunch of running Cracker Boxes then what I seen to what I thought was really funny was when they had all of these Cracker boxes all lined up then they put in a picture of that puppet of that old man that always has a frown on his face and under it they wrote Cracker with no box.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 08:04 AM UTC
That was awesome! Actually made my desk rumble. Very cool. I think the white & gold one is the one in the videos I posted earlier.

Working Link

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 03:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I might enter the W900, but it's about 50% done. The plan is to enter a Kenworth T600.

Jim

All I asked for was one full build and then "any" unfinished kits that you can handle...I've got the Dodge L700 stakebed, the Mack wrecker, the DAF XT, the Dodge Lt1000 and a euro 8x4 chassis that needs to become something...and add the Mack H-67 I'll full build in Roadway colors....found a pic of an H-63 in Roadway...close enough for me! And just for fun I want to try an old round nosed trailer for lack of better things to do.....
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 04:03 PM UTC
Nice link...just spent the last half an hour cruisin thru vids....on youyr link, I like the 2nd crackerbox myself. On the RH side of other vids is one...nastalgia row I think...your wht/gld Cbox is there again and two nice IH's
straightedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - 08:56 AM UTC
Thats it for sure now that picture of that old 13 speed shifter that says GMC 9500 Shifting a 13 speed msboomagoo is where I found all them other older trucks with them shifting them and the ones with the double sticks the older trucks were a trip down memory lane but the new ones I got that parked outside in my driveway so I don't need to be reminded of it, but I guess it is getting old by the standards of today.
straightedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - 10:15 AM UTC
I got a question is there anybody here that was driving truck back before they got I 77 done through Virginia and North Carolina and almost all of the West Virginia Turn Pike was mostly two lane.
I believe back then they made you either have north & south rights or east and west rights but no one could have both unless they run garbage under their own authority but all the fun routes got shut down before they opened up the authority to all the company's.

Now what I call fun routes are the routes that were considered dangerous in anything bigger then a pickup to where a lot of people died on them because they didn't know what they were doing and the very first thing to do is never get scared because fear makes mistakes and on these mountains you have no room for mistakes like on Fancy Gap trucks are still allowed to go up it if they would like to take a good scenic tour and see all of the old sand pits they used to have in there to try to stop what ever kind of vehicle that lost it's brakes from going over the side.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Auto Modeler: 522 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 06:02 AM UTC
As for the guy shifting the 13 spd tranny, you can tell in the video he isn't using the clutch. This is normal and 100% accurate. From the Roadranger 8 & 9's all the way up to the 13 & 15 spds. The trick is to shift in the right RPM range or "sweet spot". When shifting to a higher gear just let the RPM's fall and don't lag too long in neutral. For down shifting, use the gas pedal and keep the RPM's up so the gear speed matches the engine speed, depending on what engine you're running it'll usually be between 1500 and 1800 RPM's. Big Cummins are a bit tricker than Cats or DD's as they usually don't take up quite as high.

Cool link BTW

Hermon
straightedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 02:25 AM UTC
That's true you don't need to use your clutch all the time but I was showed that spline to which is really thick and a mechanic friend of mine showed me what happens if you never use your clutch that real thick spline will only wear in one spot and before you know it you have worn all the way through that spline from never using your clutch.

Ever sense he showed me that spline almost worn in two I have always tried to make an effort to use my clutch when I can to spread out the wear on that spline so it don't just wear in one spot now this is if you own your own and want it to last a lot longer or you want the owner of the truck to have their parts last longer.
straightedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2010 - 06:37 AM UTC
Now what I wished for was fore sight to be a good as hind sight then I wouldn't have thrown so much money away when I ordered my Trailer with the outboard drums, because I figured I would be going through brake shoes so fast that the outboard drums would pay for themselves.

Well in a million miles I only had to put two sets of shoes on it and the bearings looked brand new but I changed them all at the million mile mark because I kept getting wheel seal leaks and nobody could figure out why but I ran across this very same problem on my K100 when it kept having wheel seals going out on it and nobody could figure out why so on my Kenworth I changed all of my bearings then I never had anymore trouble with the wheel seals so before I wasted another dime on this trailer I knew I had a million miles on them bearings so whether or not they said they looked good I was going to change them because I got my money's worth out of them and sure enough that stopped the wheel seal leaks again.

So I found out after a million miles on your bearings even though they look brand new it is time for a change or they will start to nickel and dime you a hundred to two hundred dollars at a time depending what they charge you to put a wheel seal in and I had the bigger bearings and outboard drums to make it pull easier because if you ever had to pull one of them rental trailers with the small bearings you could tell the difference I couldn't much with my CH 400 Mack but back when I drove truck for some one else and only had a 220 Cummins with a 10 speed road ranger in a 69 White single axle I surely could tell the difference.
 _GOTOTOP