_GOTOBOTTOM
Paint & Finish
For automotive paint and finishing topics.
Painting fine joints in bodywork
chappyr1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 5 posts
Auto Modeler: 3 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 11:43 PM UTC
Hi all,

When looking at really well painted car models, I have noticed that joins in bodywork are painted to make them more realistic eg around doors etc

Do you guys paint them after painting the main body colour, or do you paint them before then mask them, before painting the main colour?

It just looks really effective, and much better than painting the lot one solid colour, but as the joints are so fine I didn't know how it was done as either way looks really hard!

Many thanks in advance,
Rob
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 04:43 AM UTC
I use a black wash to fill around the doors, fenderlines and such. Mix about 3 parts thinner{water for acrylic/recommended thinner for oil based paint} to 1 part paint{a dark color like black} and use a thin brush to flow it in the area. It'll take a few times on gloss paint to flow into every nook and cranny and to fill it in completely. After it's done, clear coat to seal it. Turn the m,odel on it's side to let the recently done area settle in and dry or it'll try and run off...it takes time. Keep from getting the wash on the body...have a thinner soaked Q-tip handy to clean up any messes or over run.
Try it on an old model to get used to it......
chappyr1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 07:18 AM UTC
Thanks Bob, that's great, I'll give it a try!
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 03:33 PM UTC
A black wash is the way to go to accentuate panel lines and the like, but I usually use a dark grey wash against light colored (white, pale yellow, ivory, etc.) vehicles. It doesn't contrast with the base color as much as black does, and looks a little more subtle to my eyes.

-YL
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2010 - 05:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A black wash is the way to go to accentuate panel lines and the like, but I usually use a dark grey wash against light colored (white, pale yellow, ivory, etc.) vehicles. It doesn't contrast with the base color as much as black does, and looks a little more subtle to my eyes.

-YL

Very true and good call...the lighter the body color the lighter the wash should be so it doesn't "pop" too much{as in grey for a white body}. With a line wash, you want subtle, but noticeable too. Don't forget grillwork too for a wash to deepen the inner areas and give it depth!
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Auto Modeler: 522 posts
Posted: Friday, March 19, 2010 - 02:33 PM UTC
Ditto the above. I also sometimes rescribe some of the lines just like I do with aircraft, just to add depth to certain areas and to give the wash something to bite onto. Also, I've pretty much stopped using anything accept Promodeller wash. Comes in several different colors, is water based, and is just plain awsome for lazy people like myself.

Hermon
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Friday, March 19, 2010 - 04:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ditto the above. I also sometimes rescribe some of the lines just like I do with aircraft, just to add depth to certain areas and to give the wash something to bite onto.

Rob, if you're building a MOPAR kit make sure you scribe those lines really wide and deep, 'cos those cars just barely hold together !!

(P.S. Sorry to hijack the thread, me and 'Cuda have this Mopar/Chev rivalry thing going, and I just couldn't resist. 'Cuda knows his stuff though, and puts together a REALLY nice build. Me? Well I'm just an Aussie Hillbilly, just ask 'Cuda))

Cheers, D
chappyr1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, March 19, 2010 - 10:30 PM UTC
Hi all,

Thanks for all the advice, I'm really only getting started with building models so all advice is gratefully received!

Damian, my first model is a Tamiya Mini Cooper, so the lines may need to be as wide as those on a MOPAR!

Thanks again,
Rob
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 - 02:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Damian, my first model is a Tamiya Mini Cooper, so the lines may need to be as wide as those on a MOPAR! Rob

Oh don't encourage him!......
 _GOTOTOP