_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Nascar, Outlaw Sprints, and Modified Stockers
Trisaw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Auto Modeler: 41 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 03:31 PM UTC
For the MPC, AMT, ERTL and other racing stock cars, do these kits generally come with tube frame rollcages that can be seen if the body is not mounted on?

I'm trying to use one of these kits for a Mad Max vehicle and would like all the inner workings exposed along with the rollcage (no body---kind of like a dune buggy Sandrail), but I've no idea which stock car kits come with a tube frame setup.

Also, do these stock cars come with one seat or two, and is it possible to buy 1/25 aftermarket seats?

Thanks for the help.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Auto Modeler: 256 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 04:48 PM UTC
As for a Mad Max build, no the stock car kit won't work so well. The older kits like MPC will have a full frame, floor pan, full interior only including the roll bars which wasn't much then.

The newer NASCAR kits will have a full race frame, floor pan and full roll bar interior. Will it work for your project, who's to say. All the stock car kit will only come with one seat and yes it's possible to buy aftermarket seats.

This is what you'll find in the kits...

If anything go with a outlaw Sprints kits and have at it.

Aftermarket items can be found at,
Slixx.com
Detailmaster.com
bsrrep.com

Happy Modeling,
Joe
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 01:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm trying to use one of these kits for a Mad Max vehicle

End Of Days Campaign

G'day Peter. When you are ready to get started, you know where to find us !!

Cheers, D (Zombie Squad)
Trisaw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 02:50 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Joe...that may work. Could you recommend a kit that has that chassis? I don't care for the body...I want what that CAD photo shows. Thanks.

Damian...do you have any photos of builds in progress for your campaign? I'm curious as to what vehicle participating modelers are using.

I'm hoping for a kit with a bit more "off-road capability." Unfortunately, all I've been able to find online are 1970 and 1980 Broncos and pickups. I'm surprised no one makes a decent Sandrail dune buggy or vehicle (and I don't mean Scale Equipment Limited).
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 05:48 AM UTC
Trisaw,
have you considered a Jeep as a starting point? Most of the Jeep kits have separate frames and a tubular body is pretty easy to build.

Also, check out this site. Lots of rock crawler and desert racer type builds for inspiration.

Dave
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Auto Modeler: 256 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 07:23 AM UTC
Pete if you want the frame and rollbars like in the photo then you can use any of the Revell NASCAR kits. The newer kits from the last few years will have more pieces and detail.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 11:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Damian...do you have any photos of builds in progress for your campaign? I'm curious as to what vehicle participating modelers are using.

End of Days Campaign Thread

Hi Peter, no progress shots yet, the Campaign hasn't started. I'm just doing some subtle recruitment campaigning to keep on the good side of our Great and Glorious leader VonCuda (Hermon). He's been angry at me since I decided to trash a MOPAR for his Demolition Derby Campaign !

Have a browse through the thread and you will get an idea of what's happening, and have a laugh on the way.

Cheers, D
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Auto Modeler: 522 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 01:13 PM UTC
Peter, this is a pic of a truck I'm currently building for a scratchbuilding campaign. It's an el-camino. All the suspension is homemade and it wasn't hard at all.

I used the kits leaf springs and simply added lift blocks between the springs and frame. The transfer case was built out of leftover pieces of plastic card stock. It should be really, really easy to give your car frame some off road suspension mods using stuff you find around the house including used credit/gift cards, drinking straws, etc.

Hope this helps. Any more questions just give us a yell.

PS: Damian, I don't get mad.....I get even!

Hermon
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 01:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Trisaw,
have you considered a Jeep as a starting point? Most of the Jeep kits have separate frames and a tubular body is pretty easy to build.

Also, check out this site. Lots of rock crawler and desert racer type builds for inspiration.

Dave

Never mind, I see you are on the site. (I go by Rubicon there)
Trisaw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 02:35 PM UTC
===Dave===

What NASCAR do you have in your gallery? The rollcage kit is what I'm interested in.

Do you think with a set of off-road tires, the NASCAR could be "jacked up" in the rear with larger tires than the front?

===Joe===

Your reasoning for using the Outlaw racers? I was thinking of such, but the way the driver is cramped up and the large frontal wedge doesn't make much of a fighting vehicle.
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 - 01:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

===Dave===

What NASCAR do you have in your gallery? The rollcage kit is what I'm interested in.

Do you think with a set of off-road tires, the NASCAR could be "jacked up" in the rear with larger tires than the front?

The Black #6 Mark Martin one in my gallery is the AMT Ford Taurus. I think you could re-angle the truck bars downward with longer coil springs to give it the rake you are looking for. You will probably need to resize the wheel well though.

Now you have me thinking... You could cut the truck bars separate from their mount and make them pivot pretty easily. Then you could make the ride height exactly what you want with either real coil springs or make it static with rod down the center of a coil of wire.
phanthomred4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 158 posts
Auto Modeler: 15 posts
Posted: Friday, April 02, 2010 - 04:42 AM UTC
Hey Peter, The Zombie Squad Want's You! . No seriously (well sorta), @ any rate, if you can get a hold of any Model-King modifieds (AMT/MPC repops), yer set. They have great multi-piece chassis and they are slow sellers. W/ Von Cuda, AssieReg,I strongly suggest EoD
Steve_W
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 44 posts
Auto Modeler: 14 posts
Posted: Friday, April 02, 2010 - 06:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...if you can get a hold of any Model-King modifieds (AMT/MPC repops), yer set. They have great multi-piece chassis and they are slow sellers.

Mgautreaux,
Sorry, please could you translate for this ign'ant Limey Do you mean one/some of these... Model Roundup Page ...if so, any in (mo)particular? Thanks!

Peter,
This any use?... Building Roll Bars
Trisaw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, April 02, 2010 - 06:03 AM UTC
Phantom,

I sent you a PM. Let me know what you think. Thanks.
Trisaw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, April 02, 2010 - 12:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

...if you can get a hold of any Model-King modifieds (AMT/MPC repops), yer set. They have great multi-piece chassis and they are slow sellers.

Mgautreaux,
Sorry, please could you translate for this ign'ant Limey Do you mean one/some of these... Model Roundup Page ...if so, any in (mo)particular? Thanks!

Peter,
This any use?... Building Roll Bars

Steve, BINGO! That two-seater dune buggy in the rollbar article is EXACTLY what I'm looking for!

Yes, I'm wondering the same thing...what kits are they recommending? I haven't seen any of these Modified Stock of Sprint chassis without bodies so I don't know how "dune buggyish" the frames are.

That rollbar article is great...and the dune buggy in it is EXACTLY what I am looking for! So...which of the plastic kits come close to matching that dune buggy Brent built? Does anyone know how to contact Brent?

===Damian===somehow the thread link to the campaign doesn't work for me and I looked in the Campaign forum and didn't see any thread for this campaign.
Steve_W
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, April 02, 2010 - 07:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That rollbar article is great...and the dune buggy in it is EXACTLY what I am looking for! So...which of the plastic kits come close to matching that dune buggy Brent built? Does anyone know how to contact Brent?

===Damian===somehow the thread link to the campaign doesn't work for me and I looked in the Campaign forum and didn't see any thread for this campaign.

Peter,
Glad I could help.

To contact Brent - the author of that article on BMC - you're gonna have to join their forum and then search the members database for him. But, I've already had a look and he hasn't visited that forum since July '09... there's no email addy so you'd have to send him a PM and hope he gets it.

And... End of Days Campaign Page

And... End of Days Thread

Happy Easter!
Steve
Steve_W
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, April 02, 2010 - 09:47 PM UTC
... forgot to add that this thread may provide some inspiration

Also, in that roll-bar article he says the example model is a jeep which he built "many many years ago" so maybe a trawl of Ebay will yield results. It could be a Monogram/Revell CJ-7 but the wheels look different... http://www.odinartcollectables.com/images/cj-7.jpg
phanthomred4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2010 - 05:16 AM UTC
Evening Steve. The listing is pretty much what I was refering to. By mo'paticular, I can assume chrysler? I'll look, by unless they reissued ( repoped) the Dart/ Duster kit cars, thats about it. Oh, and to Peter, the photos pretty much are what you'd get from the "jalopy" modifieds, A bit squared/ angled, not as swoopy. gotta have swoopy!
Steve_W
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2010 - 06:13 AM UTC
Good afternoon M,
You know your time-zones

No, sorry, the (mo)par thing was a lame attempt at humour for the benefit of Damian & Hermon (re. Demo Derby campaign thread) **embarrassed smiley** ...I have no such allegiances.

Dumb q. of the day... what do you mean by a 'modified'? I was just wondering which are the better kits out of the Model King range with the chassis you mentioned above?

Cheers,
Steve
Trisaw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2010 - 06:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Evening Steve. The listing is pretty much what I was refering to. By mo'paticular, I can assume chrysler? I'll look, by unless they reissued ( repoped) the Dart/ Duster kit cars, thats about it. Oh, and to Peter, the photos pretty much are what you'd get from the "jalopy" modifieds, A bit squared/ angled, not as swoopy. gotta have swoopy!

Hi M,

Like Steve, I'm kind of unclear still. AMT makes many "Modified Stockers." Are you talking about the full-bodied 1960s-1970s sedan cars, or the 1930s-1940s half-rounded body "funny cars" with just a bonnet covering over the engine frame? Now recall that I don't care for the model car body.

One question I have about the Modified Stocks is if they have a tall driver rollcage, which I do not prefer. The 1940s ones seem to have that angle-forward, which I do like.

Then someone else recommend the Outlaw Sprints as more akin to a dune buggy look. I saw sprues of the Sprints although somehow I don't believe the Sprints are really made for long-distance driving as the campaign suggests.
phanthomred4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 04:27 AM UTC
Sorry, the half- round 30's and 40's style cars. They're also known as "jalopies", dirt- oval, etc.The cock-pit (?) has room for two seats and thats it. With out the bodies, they pretty much like the photo Steve offered. Power Plants can be any transverse four. You could even use the set-up right out of Revell's Impreza, I mean, the whole front clip. That covers upper/lower suspension, engine- tranmission, and struts. You even can gut a Plymouth Prowler. Hope that un-muddles things. Oh, Steve, the kits are AMT- 21527, 21375, 21363. Those are the ones your source has. Evil-bay, may have others .
phanthomred4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 08:46 AM UTC
Go to "ovaltrackmodel.com. ( thanx Peter) Look for Richie Evans 36 chevy By Paul Krish Jr. Image it w/o the body and figure where you want to go w/ the tubing. 1/25 VW powerplants are hard to come and M-1040/1 w/ the engine in between the driver and the rear wheels, have transverse fours,
Trisaw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 04:02 PM UTC
Where can I buy tires and wheels? I went to Ma Resin and Fred's Resin Bodies. One of them is booked solid with others. Are there other reputable places that sell tires for 1/32 scale autos?

Thanks!
 _GOTOTOP