_GOTOBOTTOM
Paint & Finish
For automotive paint and finishing topics.
Taking off New Model Chrome fast
straightedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Auto Modeler: 100 posts
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2010 - 12:55 AM UTC
I thought I would share my findings after I been looking for a way to take the chrome off these new model engine I purchased recently because the Clorox Clean Up only worked on the old model chrome that was already peeling and pitted but had no effect on these new model engine parts, so at first I tried the sprue parts to these new engine parts to make sure it didn't hurt the plastic under the chrome, then after that came out fine I had to pour out the old bleach and put in the new Clorox Bleach and then within a minute or two all the chrome came off these new engine parts.

Then after they were all clean of chrome I took out all the parts then put them in a tub of water to wash off any bleach smell they would have left on them even the real thin wiring harnesses came out fine with no problems to the plastic but remember not all plastics are the same so always try it on a scrap piece first and remember the bleach has to be fresh because for some reason after it has been left out in the air it loses it's ability to remove the chrome so I poured the bleach right in on the new chrome pieces for it to remove the chrome within a minute or two.
I hope this has been helpful to some one in a hurry like I was and didn't want to wait a day or two to see the results with the other cleaners.
 _GOTOTOP