_GOTOBOTTOM
The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Non modeling- thoughts on the HTC Hero phone
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2010 - 04:23 AM UTC
I just got the the HTC Hero phone yesterday and was looking for any input as to what to watch out for or tips and tricks...this is an upgrade from my old Palm Centro. I figure I'll cut my techno teeth on this phone and then look into the EVO later...we stick with Sprint phones because my wife gets a plan discount from her work{15%} on both verizon and sprint.{we won't go back to verizon because of issues and poor customer service}
Thanks-
mmeier
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Auto Modeler: 15 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2010 - 10:53 PM UTC
Wait for June and then upgrade the OS to 2.1 once HTC delivers the package. The difference between Android 1.5 and 2.1 is HUGE and quite a few programs only run on the higher Android versions

The rest is based on a HTC Desire but should be true for the Hero:

+ The basic settings eat battery. Switching off WLAN and BlueTooth when you don't need them is recommended.

+ Android is heavily "Web-based". So check your telefon contract and think about a data flatrate

+ The default-settings have quite a few programs updating data from the net on a regular base (EMail every 15min, Weather once per hour etc). This can eat battery since they use the mobile phone or WLAN connection

+ GPS and Location finding is on by default. If you don't need this, switch them off and save battery

+ You can't "stop" a program from the programs own UI. You can do through the "Program manager" but normally you don't have to. Android will stop programs / restart them "as needed"

+ By default Android has no notepad/editor. There are quite a few on the free market. I'd install one.

old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 09, 2010 - 07:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wait for June and then upgrade the OS to 2.1 once HTC delivers the package. The difference between Android 1.5 and 2.1 is HUGE and quite a few programs only run on the higher Android versions

The rest is based on a HTC Desire but should be true for the Hero:

+ The basic settings eat battery. Switching off WLAN and BlueTooth when you don't need them is recommended.

+ Android is heavily "Web-based". So check your telefon contract and think about a data flatrate

+ The default-settings have quite a few programs updating data from the net on a regular base (EMail every 15min, Weather once per hour etc). This can eat battery since they use the mobile phone or WLAN connection

+ GPS and Location finding is on by default. If you don't need this, switch them off and save battery

+ You can't "stop" a program from the programs own UI. You can do through the "Program manager" but normally you don't have to. Android will stop programs / restart them "as needed"

+ By default Android has no notepad/editor. There are quite a few on the free market. I'd install one.

I heard the current OS is a little slow and can get bogged down if too many aps are loaded. I'm hoping the 2.1 is uploadable to my phone...we'll see. I'm getting used to the screen keyboard but still have to figure out how to enter multiple phone numbers for a given contact{cell/home/work}...this will take some playing just like before. Thanks for the input!
 _GOTOTOP