_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Aftermarket Torq thrust D wheels
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 - 11:15 PM UTC
Hi guy's

Do any of you know of any aftermarket 1/24-1/25 scale Torq thust D wheels?
This classic wheel would look pretty good on a Mustang I contemplate to build
http://www.newstalgiawheel.com/wheel_detail.asp?subcat3=1011100

Thanks
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 09:21 AM UTC
Jesper,

I believe the Modelhaus has the original Torque Thrust wheels you want, although they are listed as "American 5-spoke mags".

Pegasus Hobbies also has a set of Torque Thrust II wheels with tires. Check for #1274 about halfway down the page. (They also have some other neat stuff you might find interesting.)

Another option - any of the Revell '32 Ford kits come with a great set of big-n-little Torque Thrust-D wheels and the corresponding tires. The tires in the newer kits ('32 Ford Sedan and 5-window Coupe) are a little more cleanly molded and are a bit nicer than the originals. Either way, these wheels/tires should fit under a Mustang with a little work, depending on the kit you're planning to use.

HTH.

-YL
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 11:36 AM UTC
See now that's the classic version you've shown...the '32 ford I have has the new wave big and deep 18" or so version that looks like a Donk wheel{and is used for that too}.
I vaguely remember an amt kit that had the old style torque thrust wheels, but I'm drawing a complete blank as to which one it was now...gonna be a bite trying to search that..."a kit with torque thrust wheels" is gonna be a vague search...but I'll start looking. If I had any I'd ship them...
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 01:56 PM UTC
Hmmmm. I'll have to agree to disagree with you on the wheels, Bob.

To me, the Revell kit wheels look more like the Torq Thrust D or the Torq Thrust original than they do the Torq Thrust II, which to my eyes looks more like a newer-styled "Donk" wheel.

The Revell wheels are 5/8" in diameter, which is about 15.6" in 1:25 scale (if my math is correct). While not a true 15" scale wheel, it's a lot closer than the 18" you stated.

Since you mentioned an AMT kit, I pulled out AMT's '62 Bel Air, which came with a set of unplated Torq Thrusts. While the spoke style is different, and more like the original, the wheels also measure 5/8" in diameter. Again, not a true scale 15" or 16" wheel, but somehwere right in between.

I took a quick snapshot in the fading light, to help illustrate:

On the left is the AMT TT from the '62 Bel Air, measuring 5/8".

In the middle is the Revell TT from the '32 Ford Sedan kit, also at 5/8".

On the right is a wheel I nabbed from Revell's '65 Chevy Stepside 2 'n 1 kit. This one measures 13/16", which scales out to a whopping 20.3", and I think this is the wheel included in the "Donk" kits you mentioned. AFAIK, the Revell '32 Ford wheels are not the ones included in the Donk kits.

The short version: I think the Revell Torq Thrusts are suitable versions of the -D style wheel, and are very close to the original Torq Thrusts in appearance. While not a true 15" scale wheel, they're close...and they aren't oversized.

All this nitpicking aside, in the end it's up to Jesper to decide what works best for his project.

-YL

EDIT: Here is a better shot of those Revell Torq Thrusts, painted and mounted on my '71 Duster.

old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 02:25 PM UTC
The ones on the right are the type my '32 ford came with.
Jesper, here's a likely candidate-
torque thrusts?

The local hobby lobby had this kit last week...shall I nab it for you if they still have it?{40% off}
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 06:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The ones on the right are the type my '32 ford came with.

That's just...weird. I think I have at least one copy of every Revell '32 Ford ever made since 1997 or so, and I don't recall any of them having those monster rollers.

But hey, I could be wrong. It's happened before, one or two (million) times. I'll need to recheck my stash and see what's what.

-YL
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 11:14 PM UTC
It was a foose kind of car...was open box at hobby lobby for $5 and was missing the decals and instructions so I got it since it was cheap.
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 06:22 AM UTC
Hi Guy's

Thanks for your kind help. Much appreciated.

A shame Modelhaus doesn't have pictures of their wheels, but I think I'll take the chance and order some.

The Pegasus hobbies Torque thrust II wheels would good as well, but not as cool as the classic wheels.

The wheels on Yoni's Duster are the one's I'm looking for.

BTW. The kit I will be building is Revell's '70 302 Boss.

I'll browse through my stash and see if I have missed some optional wheels in a kit.

Once again thank you very much, for your kind help gentlemen.
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 17, 2010 - 03:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Guy's

Thanks for your kind help. Much appreciated.

A shame Modelhaus doesn't have pictures of their wheels, but I think I'll take the chance and order some.

The Pegasus hobbies Torque thrust II wheels would good as well, but not as cool as the classic wheels.

The wheels on Yoni's Duster are the one's I'm looking for.

BTW. The kit I will be building is Revell's '70 302 Boss.

I'll browse through my stash and see if I have missed some optional wheels in a kit.

Once again thank you very much, for your kind help gentlemen.

Jesper,

I have at least one set of those wheels laying around, with the tires. (The tires are not the exact ones on the Duster, but they're the big-n-little ones that came in the '32 Ford kit.)

I'd be happy to send them to you if you want them. Drop me a PM with your address and I'll pop them in the mail.

-YL
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, May 17, 2010 - 11:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'd be happy to send them to you if you want them. Drop me a PM with your address and I'll pop them in the mail.

That would be fantastic Yoni. Thank very much.
 _GOTOTOP