_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Freemans Ride
PunyViking
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Akershus, Norway
KitMaker: 94 posts
Auto Modeler: 21 posts
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2010 - 11:09 AM UTC
This is my latest finished model. It's the car from the game Half Life 2 episode two. A real zoombie-killing-machine, at least when I drive it...

The donor vehicle is revell's '69 dodge R/T, with some small modifications.... The paint is tamiya all over, but with vallejo acrylics and some artist-oilpaint for the rust and weathering.

I thought I needed Alyx Vance with the car, but as I'm not a figure builder (yet) I had to cut her out from a picture...

And last but not least, the car with the first price at our local expo last weekend!

KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2010 - 03:21 PM UTC
Congratulations. Nice piece of work.
Talk about the build a little more if you don't mind. How you did the details and materials that you used

Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2010 - 07:10 PM UTC
Not familiar with the game, but that's a pretty cool build.

I'm with KSO, too. If you want to share a little bit more about how you built the beast, I'm sure we'd be happy to read about it.

-YL
PunyViking
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Akershus, Norway
KitMaker: 94 posts
Auto Modeler: 21 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2010 - 03:14 AM UTC
I started with the game, and found a way to extract the 3d model from the gamefile to a 3d model I could use. Printed the model in the right scale in different views.

As I said, the kit is the Revell '69 dodge charger with a few modifications. All the mod's is made using a saw to cut the roof just about where I wanted it. Not so important where I cut, as long as I cut...

All the framework was made using different evergreen stuff. The rollcage was heated above a candel to make it bend where I wanted it to bend, not so easy when its the first time...

The lift of the rear suspention was made by moving the axle from the inside to the outside of the leafsprings.

I don't know what kit the rear rims and tires comes from. But the front is the one supplied with this kit (i think)

The engine is updated with a detail master distributer and sparkwires.

I thought that a beat up car like this should not have a huge blingfactor so I removed all the chrome using a drain cleaning product from mr muscle. To replace the chrome I used a wax based product called "Treasure Silver", and dipped the part in future/pledge to seal it. I also used future/pledge to "glue" both the front an rear light to the car.

The paintjob was the most fun part. Started with a tamiya primer, then a Tamiya xf-10 flat brown to get the base rust color. To make the rust a bit more "living" I applied 3 different Vallejo rust colors using a small bit of a sponge, just dabbing it randomly.

When all the car was done rusting I applied salt grains with a wet paintbrush to get the salt grains stick. When the water/salt was dried I sprayed the color (tamiya X-8 Lemon yellow) and the stripes on the trunk (tamiya X-15 light green).

When the paint was dry I just remowed the salt with a wet paintbrush, the salt dissolwes even trough the paint.

The roof was covered with a cheap nonbrand masking tape to make the vinyl top look better (I don't like the look of plasic vinyl). Then I could also make some damage to the vinil bu ripping and lifting. Top was sprayed with black tamiya paint after masking the rust under the ripped part with liquid mask.

Some detailing with a few wires was done to make the battery and headlights look better.

Then there was the final assembly of all the parts, a very satisfying job! I do love the felling of finishing a model!

Questions welcomed!

I hope you all can understand this essay even if there is a few typos.....
Grindcore
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 389 posts
Auto Modeler: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2010 - 06:23 AM UTC
That is awesome.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 09, 2010 - 02:46 PM UTC
Nice job...gotta watch the zombies falling on the plug wires though or you'll get a misfire!
 _GOTOTOP