_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
1:12 scale 1968 GT 500 Shelby
straightedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Auto Modeler: 100 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2010 - 03:40 AM UTC
Could anyone tell me who makes this 1/12 scale 1968 GT 500 Shelby because like a dipstick I went and ground off the name of the manufacturer before I thought about needing some parts from them, because the one who built these models before used way to much glue and even used regular tube glue on the glass parts.

See I bought a Cobra and this Shelby thinking I could redo them but without the name of the manufacturer I can't get the directions or any parts off them if they still make them, the only thing I remember is that they have some kind of Japanese name that I'm not to familiar with.

So if any one can help me I sure would appreciate it.
Thank You
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2010 - 09:43 AM UTC
Hmmm.

I know Nichimo made a 1:16 GT500 sometime in the mid-70's, and Revell repopped the Renwal 1:12 '65 Mustang kit as a GT350 in the mid-80's, but I don't know of anyone who's done a plastic 1:12 '67-'68 GT500.

You said that you also purchased a Cobra kit, and assuming it's the same scale, I'm wondering if that is the old MPC 1:16 kit (later reissued by AMT/Ertl).

I'm thinking the kit(s) you have are 1:16 and not 1:12.

If that is the case, you'll probably have a hard time tracking down the instructions for the GT500. I've seen the kits pop up on eBay every once in a while, but they go for some pretty big bucks. As for the Cobra, it was last issued by AMT in the 1990's, so instructions for that should be easier to find.

HTH.

-YL
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2010 - 10:53 AM UTC

straightedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 09, 2010 - 11:54 PM UTC
I'm sorry I believe your right on the 1/16 scale and now that I see it I know it has to be a 1/16 scale I don't know what made me think it was 1/12 outside of my 57 Chevy is 1/12 scale, I do know it has been hard for me to find a container to put it in to get all of the old paint off of it.

So I suppose getting some replacement parts off of Nichimo will be pretty hard and I'm not positive but I believe I got one of them newer Cobras in 1:16 scale around here somewhere I did find out the original color of this old Cobra was a dark blue body and the 68 Shelby has a white body and the both of them have a black frames and interiors.

I made myself a list of the models I put up in boxes so I'll look and see if I do have one of them Cobras in 1:16 scale and pull the directions out of it now that you got me on the right track.
straightedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 01:26 AM UTC
Well I found my new Cobra made by AMT ERTL in 1:16 scale and I got the directions out of it and I see this one I got the body is molded in White color instead of like this old one that the body is molded in a dark blue but after looking at the directions they seem to be the same after most of the parts that I was able to get off the old one and clean up.

So I guess your right about the GT 500 going to be hard to find from Nichimo, what I would love to see is a 1969 Shelby made in a larger scale because this friend of mine he had 2 68 GT 500's and one 69 GT 350 and the interior of that 69 was just beautiful with gauges above and on the lower console until some one came in the night and stole the interior dash & consoles out of it, and some one fire bombed his red 68 taking out the whole interior out of it then his wife got in a wreck with his black 68 to where this other car hit her on the side rear in the fog and totaling it out also.

The bad part of it was we found this kid over in one of the surrounding towns that had his 69 Shelby interior put in a regular mustang but as you know the police took the kid that had this interiors side like they sell real Shelby interiors everywhere.

Now you should see all the people wanting to buy his serial numbers out of his cars so they can put them in regular mustangs then try to pawn them off as the real things.

I know one time I went shopping with him to when he found this 68 GT 500 convertible and if I would of known then to what I know now I would of bought it back then instead of getting a new 74 corvette.
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 05:21 AM UTC
Sadly, the Nichimo kit is long, long OOP. I had one back in '82 or '83, and I bought it as a companion piece for the MPC 1:16 Cobra. I did some paint work on it and left it sitting in the box for a few years. I traded it off to a buddy of mine when I graduated from college, for a few early-issue AMT 1940 Fords. Ahhh, those were the days.

Anyway, to my knowledge, Nichimo is still in business, producing motorized ship models (some pretty big ones, too). But I'm going to guess that finding replacement parts for the GT500 is going to be next to impossible, short of digging up a complete kit on eBay and paying collector prices.

The GT500 wasn't what you would consider a well-detailed kit. It was their motorized/RC model boxed without the mechanical guts and sold as a scale model. Things were pretty basic, even crude, especially compared to today's standards. It wasn't particularly accurate, either, but it had a pretty high cool factor for the time.

I don't know what shape your model is in, but if you can restore or rebuild it with the parts you have on hand, you'll have a pretty unusual and unique build on your shelf.

-YL
straightedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 01:15 AM UTC
To when I got a lot closer look at the parts on this model I pretty much figured that it was pretty old by the way the mold seams were so big on it like take the chrome pieces by the time you get the seams filed down you no longer have a chrome piece.

The only thing with as much stuff that this model has on it I couldn't figure out why the one that built this before never used any knifes or even a toe nail clipper to take the parts off the tree and trim them up, the way it is it looks like they just pulled the parts off the tree and never did clean them up.

Then the paint job they had on it was pretty good the only thing I didn't like all the glue that was scattered all over this model now on some of the chrome parts I lucked out because as you know how the glue won't stick to chrome parts so some of the parts came right off and so did a lot of the glue, the real bad part is the windows sense they never cleaned off the parts none of the glass parts fit right so to hold them in place they just put more glue on them so now the back window has a lot of melted glue marks on it and the same with the door glass and windshield and I don't know if you seen tube glue used on glass to how it makes it all frosted up on all the sides and the only way I know how to fix it is to replace it with some kind of new glass and they done the same thing to all the turn signals and tail lights they were all glue that almost melted some of the parts into a lump, and this is what I'm up against.
 _GOTOTOP