Scale truck modeling topics.
OTR build 3 - Mack AP Tanker
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 06:22 AM UTC
Here's one I'm sneaking in from left field...my rendition of a Mack AP using two of the current Mack AC tanker kits. I've stretched the frame by 5 feet for a 16' wheelbase...17' is the official "long" length chassis but this is a factory custom build so since it's "my" factory...

I used the mack r685 dual drive unit for this build because it closely resembles the early mack duel reduction gear drive that was also available back then - not just chain drives for the APs. I'll be using the kit 4 cylinder engine but back then you could get the 6 cylinder with the slightly longer nose/hood...I'm going for the easier way this time so I don't have to make a new hood.
Also, you will note the use of the italeri rims for this build...interesting thing...mack had similar rims back then with the exception being that they had 8 holes{2 large/6 small} while the italeri rims have 10 holes{2 large/8 small}...close enough for this build and for me. Besides, it'll match the trailer tanker rims now too....ooops - did I let that out early?!
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 04:06 AM UTC
My intent from the beginning was to graft two kits together to make an AP tanker with trailer...the trailer base will be an italeri #766 canvas trailer with a tanker top. The problem was that the kit tanker body was too short for what I needed for either the truck or the trailer so some mods were in order. As per the pic here you'll see that both halves of the tanker{upper and lower} make a nice long tanker on the trailer kit - but I plan on it being a little shorter when done. Note in the 2nd pic the use of two hole rims back then with "balloon tires" as they called them.

You'll note that I covered up the kit rear window so I could make the optional two side rear window version some of the cabs had...remember, I like to be different!
Here's a conoco truck and double trailer set up that I plan on copying by using just the tanker halves on top of a new body platform for both the truck and trailer. This is the enclosed cab with no doors. Options for this truck were the C cab type with no roof, C cab type with roof and with doors, and there was as shown the upgrade as I'll call it enclosed cab.

Here's a shot of the rear cab double side windows-

I had to get these images from my Mack AP Superduty book since there isn't a whole lot available on the web! This book is a needed given for any AP truck builds!
Intersting note per the AC kit...it includes the complete headlights and running lights but has no mention of them at all in the instructions...thru the book references I'll be using them...at least the headlights if not both.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 03:16 PM UTC
Should be nice. Keep up the good work.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 08:58 PM UTC
Cool subject dragon-man !! Looking forward to following your build here.

Cheers, D
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 - 03:06 AM UTC
I installed the headlights this morning before dropping the kids off to summer camp{ah...peace and quiet now!}...the outside of the frame was smooth but the inside, up front, had a rectangle knotch inside of the frame each side for the headlights...I mearly drilled thru and opened them up and viola - headlight hole mounts! The cab sides are the same thing, smooth on the outside where the running lights would go but there's a hole inboard that can be drilled out for the smaller running lights. I built this very kit, but it was the dump truck, eons ago to convert to a rail car. I pulled the resin cast hood I molded of it{for a mack small switcher engine back then} and noticed the hood mold has changed...there's latches there now where there used to be mild marks for latches. Nice to know there going thru the old molds and retouching them! Another example of old molds has popped up for me - I was going thru my stash of r685 chrome parts trees and found the fender running lights are smooth now on the current kits - they ised to have the rings in them....I guess they polished out the molds alittle too much along the way!
Today will be tank body work.....more sanding off of the tank body banding on the halves{what a pain, but necessary} and frame work for the tank mounts...I have a plan!
 _GOTOTOP