Scale truck modeling topics.
How to put rubber tires on old Italeria kits
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 12:00 PM UTC
If your like me and have one or two of the old Italeri trailer or truck kits with the plastic 2 piece tires and would rather have real rubber tires then here's your article. I've found that if you can find the Italeri rubber tires with the "single lip" you can use these tires in place of the plastic ones. The "double lip" Italeri rubber tires can be modified to work but these single lip tires are a drop in deal.
I suppose you'd like pics, huh...

The LH tire is the Italeri single lip while the RH is the older Italeri rubber double lip-
Here's an old trailer kit rim with the newer rubber tire on it - add a drop or two of CA ans she's good.{sorry for the messy tires- man this camera can get in close!}

...notice at 11 o'clock on the tire there's a lil bump..that's from the sprue stub that is still there..the rear shot has no sprue stumps so no blemishes - clean up will fix that, I just didn't do it before snapping a pic.

Neat thing about the "newer tires", one side has lettering while the other is bare...nice for that odd build where you want a generic tire{no lettering}.
I just bought 10 Italeri tires from Modeltruckin.com for $10{buck a tire}...not bad! Got some of Jerry's decals too while I was there.
If you have your own Italeri rubber tires, just look at the inner lip to see what ya got - new/single lip...old/double lip. I have taken one double lip tire, trimmed off the inner lip and it fit on the rim but I like the newer version for drop in ease because you know how fun accurately cutting rubber can be if you've ever done it.
So, no more having to deal with the old plastic tires on those old kits...just go find yourself some rubber tires and use the kit rims...or toss the rims and do what ya want, but now you have more choices which is always a good thing.
Later-
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 12:43 PM UTC
Nice "how-to", Bob. Thanks for the info.

Are these rubber tires the same as the ones Revell of Germany uses in their 1/24 kits? I don't have any Italeri kits, so I can't compare.

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 02:40 PM UTC
Hmm good question - so I checked a few kits;
{It = italeri / Rg = revell germany}
-It/ far west trucking- single lip
-Rg/ renault magnum- single lip
-Rg/ 1628s Mecedes-benz- double lip**
-Rg/ scania r143 streamliner-single lip
-It/ Iveco turbostar II- single lip
-It/ MB actros "black edition" & 1854 LS V-8 - single lip
-It/ Volvo FH-16 - single lip
-It/ scania T-143 M500 - single lip
-Rg/ scanis 144&trailer "Friedenfels" -single lip
-It/ scania& trailer "cool fruits" - single lip
-It/ volvo VN 780 - single lip
-It/ western star 5964SS -single lip

..that's enough for now, so the only one with the double lip tires so far is the old Revell Mersedes-Benz 1628s.
 _GOTOTOP