_GOTOBOTTOM
The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Emergency vehicle day pics
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 08, 2010 - 06:32 AM UTC
Yesterday was our annual emergency vehicle day..saw a few of the regulars and one very interesting car! Here's what we saw-

old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 08, 2010 - 06:37 AM UTC
More...

{just like my 1st car...an '80 dodge aspen. Mine was an ex-state police squad bought at auction}

old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 08, 2010 - 06:45 AM UTC
Still more...

old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 08, 2010 - 06:54 AM UTC
Ok, now for the unexpected really good one..at least on "this side of the pond"-

..look at the shine on that paintjob..and me and the daughter - oops

...the boy chimes in, "daddy, that's a pretty cool car - you should get one

...sorry the boy's head is in the way, but the plate reads "madmax"

The owner fired up the siren...pretty different from ours here..neat though!{siren too}. The kids commented, "daddy why is the sterring wheel on that side of the car?" I'm surprised they let the "sawed off" sit in there!
Man...I'd love to get one of those falcons over here for myself...there was a holden I liked too.....maybe someday.....
Hope you enjoyed our little day out and remember, alot of these cars{not the aussie falcon} are regulars so next year I could snap more pice of any specific vehicle you'd need - just yell. I was hoping for the late '60s dodge L900 fire engine to show this year as well as the mack AC fire engine..hopefully next year!
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2010 - 07:31 AM UTC
Nice show. Those cars are there every year? Pretty cool. That's a nice looking 900-Series American-LaFrance. I don't recognize the older pumpers. Were those ALFs, too?

Cute kids, by the way.

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2010 - 02:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice show. Those cars are there every year? Pretty cool. That's a nice looking 900-Series American-LaFrance. I don't recognize the older pumpers. Were those ALFs, too?

Cute kids, by the way.

Jim

Yeah, it's a two part day...1st off is the "touch a truck" where the kids can climb up on semis, fire trucks{sit in the cab}, squads, steam rollers or whatever shows up...and honk the horns{can get rather noisey}...then we wander over to the Emergency vehicle show and see what's there...most of those old squads are regulars now for the last 3 years that the show has been running. You can buy light bars, old radios, and all sorts of knick knacks{bring some big coin though} as well as diecast stuff and a few random models{too much for either I may add}. The kids get balloons, stickers, plastic badges, coloring books and all sorts of things. You can see some of the confiscated vehicles that are converted to squads as well as some of the really decorated squads too - I usually just take pics of the classics...I took 55 pics that day and only uploaded 53 to here....seemed enough. Every August is this show, so if there's something that catches your eye yell.......I'll hit it with a lot of pics, and yes, most rigs are A la F's except for the ford rig I didn't snap pics of{shame on me - I know}.
Oh, thanks on the kids...don't know how that happened, considering.......
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
Auto Modeler: 268 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 10:14 AM UTC
Bob,
I finally looked in this thread, not realizing what awaited! You've discovered a goldmine of cool classic emergency vehicles! Thanks for sharing.
When I was growing up in Chicago, I remember the police cars changing from the blue with white doors to the white with blue stripe. Cool Chicago 1957 black and white too, and cool big Cadillac ambulances.
Too many Blues Brothers references, of course. We Chicagoans are proud of our Blues Brothers. Even the Illinois State Trooper HAD to be #55, so John Candy's character can say into the radio, "This is car 55. We're in a truck." It looks like a really poor attempt at another Bluesmobile next to the Mad Max "Last of the V8 interceptors". Now I have to watch Mad Max again-- didn't the car in the movie say "Interceptor" or "Pursuit" across the windshield?
Anyway, I digress. Thanks again,
-Sean.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 09:50 PM UTC
Great post Bob, thanks for sharing. There's some super cool vehicles there, and by the way NO SUCH THING as too many Bluesmobiles !!

I still see a few of those old Falcon Coupes around here as daily drivers, mostly with the 302 or 351 bangers in them.

Now, which Holden is on your mind. I'll have to dig up some pics of the old HK Monaro I had as a teenage hoon !

Cheers, D
 _GOTOTOP