Scale truck modeling topics.
Fire apparatus ***HELP***
mparham02
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 60 posts
Auto Modeler: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 08:36 PM UTC
I am just getting back into building kits. I need help I would like to build the Trumpeter Fire Engine. However, I would like to have some of the standard firefighting equiptment on the kit (turnout coats, helmets, and most of all a load of hose in the hose bed). Can anyone help with advice on where to buy or how to make these idems.

Thanks
grubbyfingers
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 404 posts
Auto Modeler: 60 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 09:41 PM UTC
Hi Mark,

I can't help with the clothing etc, but I did see a really nice firetruck in Finescale Modeler some years back that had flat shoelaces as hoses. It looked most effective.

I hope this helps.

Grubby.
matt
Staff MemberGroup Build Administrator
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Auto Modeler: 160 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 12:22 AM UTC
SSB resins has some NOT listed on the website.
Below is a partial list:
http://ssbresins.com/new-parts.php
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 01:17 AM UTC
Check out The Scale Firehouse. There are lots of good articles on detailing fire apparatus.

To add hoses to my 1970 American-LaFrance Series 1000 I used braided elastic that I stained with Minwax Oak.

Since the Trompeter kit is newer, don't stain the elastic, and use aluminum tube for the couplers instead of brass.

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 11:44 AM UTC
Helmit- take some sculpy clay for the main section and plastic sheet for the brim....paint color of your choice.
Coat- tricky, but doable...take some tissue paper and cut out the shape you want, then drape it over the seat or on a hook and wet it with a glue water sollution, then form and let dry. Reshape as needed then when dry again paint it. Think of it like making a tarp for military vehicle.
Hose...you saw that one from jim...
Airtanks and mask- tube or rod stock for the tanks and do the tissue thing again but with clear sheet for the mask.

Check out the scale firehouse dot com...lots of things to see{I'm BigRed there}.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Auto Modeler: 522 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 01:17 PM UTC
Jim, I'd forgotten about that awsome engine you built. That thing is beautiful.

Mark, if your fire truck is 1/24 or 1/25 scale, you can find plenty of same scale fire dept. action figures in toy stores. For a few dollars you can buy a couple and use the helmets, boots, etc. as blanks and pour your own resin copies.

Hermon
 _GOTOTOP