_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Pro Mod w/ scratch chassis
Armornv
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 110 posts
Auto Modeler: 3 posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2010 - 01:39 PM UTC
Hello folks! I'm normally lurking around on armorama but it just occured to me to show you all some pics of something I tinker around on when I get burned out on the tanks and shootem ups.
The base kit(s) are Revell '67 Chevelle Pro Street. I scrapped the one piece chassis in the kit and made a new one out of brass tubing[whew]....
Some of the measurements are(I'm sure) incorrect as I only used random pics on the internet to "judge" by. But for my first attempt at anything like this I'm fairly satisfied. Front suspension needs to be redone, and the rear beadlocks aren't quite right, but hey, nobody is perfect! At least I'm not lol!

Here's some pics of what I have so far. Sorry for so many.

animal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Auto Modeler: 217 posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2010 - 02:09 PM UTC
Awesome!!!
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Auto Modeler: 256 posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2010 - 05:21 PM UTC
Man this is going to look awesome, great work on the rollcage and 4 link suspension. Any color choice yet on the body color. For some great donor parts look into buying some cheap die cast Dragsters, Funnycars and Pro Stocks. You can use many of the pieces for modeling. I bought a few and just the tires especially the slicks are worth the money alone.

Will be watching.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
Armornv
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 03:10 AM UTC
Thanks guys!
Joe, still a long way from picking colors out yet.
I never even thought about pilfering a die cast for parts. Great Idea. I'll be sure to look into that. Most of the stuff I have for this one is detail master or model car garage(i think thats the name). It's been a while since I've had it all out.

Thanks,
Clint
WindSword70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 153 posts
Auto Modeler: 47 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 06:26 AM UTC
Excellent work on the rollcage!
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Auto Modeler: 522 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 08:45 AM UTC
Clint, you should seriously consider doing a full "how to" artical on this baby when you're finished. This is really cool.

Hermon
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 12:19 PM UTC
WOW man, fantastic work with the brass. Neoprene tape looks like roll cage padding if you intend to install any.

Subscribed

Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 06:35 PM UTC
That's an impressive piece of work so far, and a very nice job on the soldering.

So far, I've picked out the stretched / one-piece hood & front end, and the work to the rear wheels wells, but I can't figure out if you've also laid the windshield posts back, or just eliminated the vent window framing.

Are the rear 4-link brackets scratched, or is that PE? And did you build the rear wheels and beadlocks?

Again, impressive.

-YL
Armornv
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2010 - 08:29 AM UTC
Wow, thanks for the positive reinforcement all! It really gives me the motivation to continue! Of course, this is still going to be a project between projects when I'm bored with other projects kinda thing. So the progress will be painfully slow, but I promise to keep you updated as the story continues.

Hermon, there's really nothing fancy about my methods. It's really whatever way I can find to do what I need at the moment lol. I'll definately consider it though, as I am more than happy to share what (little) knowledge I have.

Neoprene tape sounds interesting. I'll have to look into that as I haven't given any thought to the padding yet.

You are correct Yoni, I did stretch the front end just a tad. Most Pro Mod cars I've seen are somewhat stretched. the Chevelles of that body style are already fairly long cars so I thought it best not to stretch it too much.

As for the rest of the body, the bumpers will be molded into the body to make it more in line with the one piece fiberglass idea of most race cars, and the vent windows were removed. No cutting or changing was done to the winshield pillars.
the four link brackets are all cut from sheet brass that I then drilled some holes in. Again, no actual measurements or scale drawings were used. It was all just eyeballed so it's bound to not be perfect.
The wheels are all aftermarket resin items and the beadlocks were made from scratch.

Again, thank you all for the interest in this. It really does make me want to continue.

Clint
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 - 11:08 PM UTC
Very interesting project Clint. Looks awesome so far.
 _GOTOTOP