_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Police Light
das
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 49 posts
Auto Modeler: 3 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 06:33 AM UTC
I am looking for a single roof light for a police car. I had scratchbuilt a light bar for a 1970's Ontario Provincial Police cruiser but can't find anything to use for the small centre "bubble gum" light.
I went to POLICECARMODELS.COM but theirs are 1/2" diameter. I need something 1/4" diameter. Has anybody seen anything out there???
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 09:47 AM UTC
Darren, the old rotary lights were on the big side so they'd get noticed...usually had twin bulbs. A 1/2" assembly scales out to a 12" wide light...I'd figure them in for roughly 10". The best I could do for you would be one of the amt semi truck red lights from the red lense sprue....it's squared off and is 1/4" by a 1/4".
I made a light bar once by using a transparent red tooth brush {really} , I cut it to rough size and then wet sanded it down to where I wanted it then polished it till it was shiney...turned out pretty nice. You could make a round top rotary the same way and I think I paid only $2 for the tooth brush from walgreens.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Auto Modeler: 522 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 19, 2010 - 03:43 AM UTC
For that size.............a piece of clear sprue from a windshield or canopy would work........sanded down, and painted with clear Tamiya red or blue with a silver base.

Hermon
das
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 49 posts
Auto Modeler: 3 posts
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 - 08:22 AM UTC
Thanks for the input guys. I'll have to NOT throw out the clear sprues next time!
damoore46
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 107 posts
Auto Modeler: 49 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 10:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am looking for a single roof light for a police car. I had scratchbuilt a light bar for a 1970's Ontario Provincial Police cruiser but can't find anything to use for the small centre "bubble gum" light.
I went to POLICECARMODELS.COM but theirs are 1/2" diameter. I need something 1/4" diameter. Has anybody seen anything out there???

Since you need something that is about half the size of the larger light, would a 1/43 scale light work? Just a though.......
 _GOTOTOP