1950 Chevy cab conversion
SellSword
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 167 posts
Auto Modeler: 16 posts
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2010 - 11:17 PM UTC
Hi guys,
I want to do a special build as a Christmas present. My Father-in-law has a 1950 Chevy truck and I'd like to build a replica of it for him to display in his office.

I found the AMT kit, and even some photo etch, but as always it can never be just a simple OOB build... His truck is the deluxe cab version! HaHA!

For me that really means that I'll have to do some conversion to represent the extra side/rear corner windows as seen in this picture:

Have any of you seen or done this conversion before? If so, I'd love to see how it was done!

Thanks,
Ray
SellSword
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 01:02 AM UTC
HAHA! Nevermind... Just got my hands on the kit specs, and its molded perfectly!!! yippee! no cutting and window forming on this one!
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 05:43 AM UTC
The kit comes with the 3 piece rear window?
SellSword
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 09:37 AM UTC

Sure does! I was kind of surprised myself!
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 03:59 PM UTC
Well then, that'll make for an easy conversion...simply assemble! Anything else we can help ya with - this is easy!
I just did the nearly same thing on a tanker kit I have...asked a guy where he got the "supposed" add on decals on his tanker build- they were part of the decal sheet on mine{and his}...oops!
FlPanzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 37 posts
Auto Modeler: 3 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 30, 2010 - 06:19 AM UTC
I did a retro fit of the kit by glueing the windows in then filling the areas with thin coats of filler to show the standard cab. It does build into a nice kit.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 30, 2010 - 07:32 AM UTC
Looks like this will be a nice build. There's a P/E set for this kit? Do you know of one for a 1950 Ford F-1?

Jim
SellSword
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 30, 2010 - 10:32 AM UTC
not sure about the PE for that kit... I normally don't venture outside of armor and aircraft, but thought it might be fun to try this build. I actually got the kit in the mail yesterday and the PE today. Got some sub-assemblies started, looks like a pretty straight forward build.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 30, 2010 - 01:13 PM UTC
Good luck with your build, and don't forget to post pics.

About 5 minutes after I posted the question, I found the P/E set for the Revell/Monogram Ford F-1 over at Model Car Garage. Too bad they haven't updated their web site since 2006.

Jim
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 30, 2010 - 06:23 PM UTC
I'm also building this kit OOB.

I'm having trouble with these part lines

because I don't see them on 1/1 reference pictures. I filled and sanded them in but now realizing that the interior sub-assembly will be difficult to install after painting

old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2010 - 02:44 AM UTC
KSO, that's the hassle of some of these kits....to glue on the body parts that really need to be added and painted before the interior tub goes in, or to try and add those later...the old KW coe's are the same way but the interior can be shoehorned in afterward adding the headlight pieces - but it's tight. The Pete coe's didn't have that issue luckily.
MacTrucks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 285 posts
Auto Modeler: 47 posts
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2010 - 02:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

because I don't see them on 1/1 reference pictures. I filled and sanded them in but now realizing that the interior sub-assembly will be difficult to install after painting

Unfortunately the lower curve of the cab is very pronounced making it hard to fit a kit floor into the cab without unsightly gaps. But it might be easier and less visible to trim the interior to fit. Better still, thin the lower edges of the cab to give you a little more room and flexibility to work with. I haven't built this kit yet, so I can't say for sure.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2010 - 03:36 PM UTC
Ray, tape the lower cab pieces onto the cab and see if the interior tub can fit past it...if not how much more clearance would you need?
SellSword
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2010 - 04:24 PM UTC
I test fitted the cab assembly with the lower trim part clamped in place. Actually the tub will fit quite easily if you tilt it and aim up into cab one side at a time. Just make sure you get it into place before installing the firewall and wheel wells.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2010 - 07:20 PM UTC
Thanks Ray...that's good to know that it fits and especialy about the firewall and wheel well thing!
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2010 - 04:51 PM UTC
yes, good info. I guess I need to break off a few parts....

SellSword
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 12:33 PM UTC
Hope you don't have to dish out too much damage!

I'm well under way with my kit... coughing right now because my vetilation sucks in the "spray booth"

but here's some pics I shot, guess this can kinda turn into a build log for those of you that are interested...

Here's the unopened original kit... I guess it's been discontinued, and the prices vary like crazy, but I got mine for about 27$ including shipping

all the goodies in the box...

here's the PE I picked up from The Mode3l Car Garage... not really sure how the rearview mirror parts are suposed to go together...?

sub-assemblies and test fitting...

close up of the engine, base paint is down, detail work still to come...
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 01:02 PM UTC
yeah, I'll watch your build. Already subscribed on the 30th

engine looks pretty clean so-far. I didn't put mine together because it's going to be a curbside

jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 02:01 PM UTC
That's a nice looking truck. Looks like it's going together well. Chevrolet painted their engines blue in the 1950s? Didn't know that. What engine is that anyway? Looks like a Straight 6.

Jim
SellSword
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 09, 2010 - 04:28 AM UTC
Customers had a choice of two six cylinders engine's and two transmission's for their new 1950 Chevy cars. They could choose the high compression 235 cubic inch 105 horsepower engine teamed with the new Powerglide automatic transmission or the advanced 216.5 cubic inch 90 horsepower engine with a standard transmission.

Chevy's new Powerglide two-speed automatic transmission was introduced as a $159.00 option for the Styleline Deluxe and Fleetline Deluxe including the Bel Air and Convertibles.

and from what I've read, yes, Chevy did have a blue color for their engines. I've also tried to match the exterior color as close as possible... I'm hoping to get some more pics for reference without raising suspicion of what I'm doing.
SellSword
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 09, 2010 - 04:29 AM UTC
By the way, Ko... who's the guy in your profile pic?
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 09, 2010 - 04:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

By the way, Ko... who's the guy in your profile pic?

...that's "him" ...just like we'll assume that's you on the trike ...and mine is self explanitory {...trust me, you want to see the dragon before you see "me"!}
Some folks have avatars of themselves while most of us just use the given ones onsite or what's available on the web.
Nice start on the kit...what color{s} are you going to paint the body?
SellSword
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 09, 2010 - 09:28 AM UTC
ahhhh... I thought maybe it was some famous ancestor or something... I'm primarily a military builder so I thought it might be a pilot or soldier from the past...

Anyhoo, I've been sneaky and found out that my Father-in-law's truck is repainted in an original Mariner blue. The auto body store down the way easily matched the color. I'll fire it through the airbrush when I'm ready. I hope to get some time this week to get some more progress and pics up for you guys.

All in all. I'm having a lot of fun with this build, and learning a lot too, maybe I'll have to add a civilian vehicle or two to my stash just for the pure fun of it!
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 09, 2010 - 02:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

All in all. I'm having a lot of fun with this build, and learning a lot too, maybe I'll have to add a civilian vehicle or two to my stash just for the pure fun of it!

Cool....there's quite a few 1/25 vehicles that were both military and civilian at one time or another...who says you can't have your cake and eat it too!
SellSword
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 24, 2010 - 03:36 AM UTC

sorry I've been away from the bench for awhile! I was injured pretty badly on the Hurling pitch. I took a hurley to the side of my head and it did quite the number to my ear. But I plan to make some more progress this week. The engine is nearly finished along with the chassis and wheels and tires. Having some issues with the body work, getting it smooth enough for paint is a real hassle! I'll try to post some non-gory pics later to show what I've got done so far...
 _GOTOTOP