Scale truck modeling topics.
1975 Wilson Livestock Trailer
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 03:23 PM UTC
Ok, so I need another project like I need a hole in the head, but I started this live stock trailer last week some time and yesterday I managed to prime & paint some of it. I swapped the spokes out for some 10-hole disks. The hubs are cast resin by Daniel from Plaskit. The trailer will be painted with Dupli-Color Bumper Chrome over grey primer. I just have to make a final decision of the rear door, and decide how I want to cable the spare tire carrier.

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 03:39 PM UTC
Nice! I need to get one of those one of these days...it's always eluded me on ebay. How are you going to decal that one up....I've heard there isn't much to it as far as the decals go.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 - 03:02 AM UTC
I think I got this one from a friend, but sometimes Model Express & Fred's Model World Online has them.

As for decals, the reissue kit does not came with decals, but never fear! Model Express offers them. They're listed as "Bixby Livestock". Special Appearance Decals might have them, too.

No, theer really isn't much to the decal sheet. Just some "Wilson" logos for the trailer, and the "Bixby Livestock" for the tractor. Some actual trailers have the trucking company's name on the front of the trailer at the top, so I suppose one could add that if one wanted to, and maybe some DOT tape. That's really about it. Mine will just have the Wilson logos on it. If I ever do a dedicated tractor, I'll add the Bixby logos to that. I'm thinking Crackerbox.

Jim
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2011 - 06:11 AM UTC
So, in between a couple of other projects, I managed to finish my 1975 Wilson livestock trailer. Like most of my builds it's basicaly box-stock with a couple of add-ons. The finish is Dupli-Color Bumper Chrome, and the decals are from Model Express.

I swapped out the spokes for some chrome disks, and added some Plaskit wheel hubs.

I replaced the "wood" roll-up door with a "metal" one, and added a pulley system to raise the door. No, it doesn't actually work.

The spare tire is from the parts box, and I added a pulley system to this as well. This doesn't work either. Not sure what happened with the close-up pic. Looks like the camers focused on the house in the background instead of the trailer.

I haven't decided on a dedicated tractor yet. I was thinking of either this one, a GMC Crackerbox with a Detroit Diesel 6-71, or a Dodge LVT1000 with a 8V71. Not sure, but it does look good with the Astro!

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2011 - 02:09 AM UTC
Looks good! As far as the blurred shot, check the camera setting and see if it's on close up shots...usually a flower icon.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2011 - 05:04 AM UTC
Thanks. Only took me a year to finish a kit with about 20 parts.

Jim
Ibuild148
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 177 posts
Auto Modeler: 3 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2011 - 08:09 AM UTC
Nice build Jim. I also like the cab.
Where did you / or how did you do the rims with the orange?
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2011 - 01:12 PM UTC
Thanks, Marc.

The orange parts are the axle hubs, and they are seperate pieces on 1/25 trucks. So I just painted them & glued them to the end of the axle for the rear wheels or to the inside of the wheel for the fronts. Here's the build thread on the GMC Astro/95 (it takes a few tangents!):
http://automodeler.kitmaker.net/forums/112285&page=1

Jim
Ibuild148
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 177 posts
Auto Modeler: 3 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2011 - 05:11 PM UTC
Thanks Jim!
 _GOTOTOP