Scale truck modeling topics.
Going to Toledo for the NNL
MacTrucks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 285 posts
Auto Modeler: 47 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 30, 2010 - 02:05 PM UTC
Its been awhile since I posted. Family life tends to do that. The good news is that after many years of being unable to attend the NNL show in Toledo, Ohio, I get to attend this year. Right now it looks like I'll have my Mack AC dump truck completed. I'm also working on a Pete COE daycab with Freuhauf tank trailer. The trailer is almost finished, the truck is a little more iffy. I might being my 1950's Autocar for the primer table. I'll post photos of my progress when I have a chance. I'm working real hard to make sure I have stuff finished to display. I think I last made the show in 2003 or 2004. I can't believe its been that long.

Anyone else going?
MacTrucks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 30, 2010 - 03:49 PM UTC
Sorry, I don't know how I managed to select the build log option for this post.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Auto Modeler: 256 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 30, 2010 - 04:18 PM UTC
What are the show dates, I know for sure I'm making the Nov. 7th show in Ohio.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
MacTrucks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 30, 2010 - 04:53 PM UTC
The NNL Nationals #31 is Saturday, October 9, 2010 2-8pm. It is actually held at the Tam-O-Shanter, 7060 Sylvania Avenue, Sylvania, Ohio 43560. Admission is $10. The only awards are People's Choice for Best in Show, Junior Model, and the show theme "Bikes, Trikes, and Motorcycles". The theme is basically anything with less than four wheels. If you have never been to an NNL style event, it was always a great time when I used to go. (I think I last attended NNL #25). It always had a huge turnout and high quality models too. The best part is everyone has fun, makes friends, and talks models. It's an automotive show, so leave the armor and wings home. My one and only time for having a photo of my models published in a magazine occurred at the Toledo NNL. Unlike a contest, where people tend to setup their models and hover about watching the judging, this event you setup and discuss your models and others. Great place for new ideas and to see what others are building up close and personal. In the old days, guys like Clint Freeman would show up with their latest creations. Hard to believe they look more realistic in person in many instances.

Also, John Carlisle has an Old Toyland Toy show the same weekend. I don't recall what the hours are on Saturday, because the admission is more expensive. Basically you get floor rights to be there while dealers setup their wares. Sunday admission to the toy show is $7, I think. It was always a good place to find the old-out of production kits. With all of the reissues, that isn't as important as it was 10-20 years ago, when Ertl seemed to never want to reissue anything and before ebay took off. It also used to attract many of the major resin casters for cars and on occasion truck too. I like to be able to see and touch what I purchase before hand. A few less scrupulous resin casters tend to sell top quality at the show and ship marginal stuff if you order it through the mail. One resin caster would even display his best casting and sell you a crappy one. I always checked his stuff before I left the show! But again, a nice place to meet people and discuss models. Even give ideas to aftermarket people. I'm cheap so I'd buy built-ups or partial kits. If you shopped around, you could negotiate deals too. I purchased a livestock trailer for $25 in 1992, when nearly everyone else wanted $70 to $100 for them. The most I paid was $40 for a mint-in-box Mack Cruiseliner, again at a time when the collector market had them valued at $80 to $120. I have friends who have gone and said its still a good NNL and show, but I'm sure things have changed due to ebay and the economy.
 _GOTOTOP